Anyone had Steakhouse disappiontment?

echo

I have never tried the steakhouse and I usuallly hear good things about it, but has anyone had any bad experiences?

Spirit was the best and splendor the worst quality of food on the splendor has gone south.

Just once....the following is an excerpt from my travel journal aboard the Splendor in June 2010....

The Pinnacle

A bit of background first; As mentioned earlier, we were on the Splendor in May of 2009 with my Dad. One evening we dined at the Pinnacle. In the steak house it’s customary to bring to the table a cart with the various cuts of meats and seafood one can order. During the server’s presentation she indicated that one of the offerings was FRESH lobster tail. I wanted to be sure I had heard her correctly and repeated “fresh lobster”? She replied in the affirmative. So I asked…”oh, does that mean you have tanks in the kitchen?” With this she got completely and totally flustered. It was a simple question really. Fresh is fresh…Frozen is NOT. Once it was clarified that these were frozen tails she then proceeded to ask me if I wished to order one. “No way!” was my response (I have a thing about frozen shell fish…yeccch!) Well I guess I rattled her cage so much that she never came back to our table and instead we were served by another. Needless to say my Dad needled me about this for the rest of the trip saying that I made that poor girl quit. However, other than that minor incident, our food and service were above and beyond our expectations. Superb!.

So this trip I knew what to expect…or so I thought.

We arrived just a few minutes before our reservation time and were immediately seated at a window table. (Again a small complaint; The Pinnacle is located on Deck 11 Aft. The ambience is lovely until some typical vacationer comes strolling by in their too ill-fitting swimsuit and starts peering in the window…honestly…totally blows the intended atmosphere and completely reminds me of exactly where I’m at…On a ship with 3,000 other passengers.)

We had already ordered our drinks from the person that seated us (it wasn’t the Matre’d) and soon Mary Jane, our server, approached us with the proverbial cart of display meat and accompanying speech. RC ordered the crab cake, lobster bisque, and surf and turf (lobster tail and fillet (medium rare)). I ordered the French onion soup, tomato salad and NY steak (medium rare). At this particular restaurant the Chef will typically make an amuse bouche; that’s really just a fancy word for an appetizer. RC’s was pea soup (it was ok…Anderson’s is just as good if not better) and mine was some sort of potato concoction surrounded in a sauce with drops of crème fresh and a dot of something on top. When I tasted the “dot” there was a virtual explosion of flavor in my mouth. It was really, really good and I was astonished there could be so much flavor in such a small (was smaller than a fish egg) bite. When Mary Jane came by to check on us I asked her what the dot was. She replied that it was only for decoration. STRIKE #1 As mentioned earlier I’m an amateur foodie and can be found most Saturdays watching Food Network for inspiration. From this I know that everything on the plate is edible (especially in a fine dining establishment) and is there for a reason. I informed Mary Jane that it was not just for decoration and she said she would check with the Chef. The response was it was reduced balsamic vinegar (no doubt made using some molecular gastronomy technique(like those fancy words I’ve learned from FN?)). Next up was the crab cake (forgettable) and French onion soup. I have made this soup many times myself as it’s one of my favorites. A basic lesson in cooking is if you burn garlic or onions you start over as there’s nothing one can do to mask that flavor. This soup was just nasty tasting. Obviously the onions were burnt and the soup had not been tasted. Two sips and it was pushed away. When asked I replied that the onions had been burnt and did not wish another bowl. STRIKE #2 The next course was RC’s lobster bisque (missing the lobster…oh yes and taste too!) and a tomato salad for me. Then it was on to the entrees. Long story short; RC’s fillet was way overcooked but at least still tender. My NY, however, was rare. And not just rare but “mooooing” rare and tough as shoe leather. RC mentioned that when he saw me sawing into the steak he knew there was a problem. STRIKE #3 At this point there was another table being seated and one who had ordered but had not yet received their food. Two bites and my jaw was sore. By this point I was soooo disappointed in the quality of food that I just wanted to bolt. Mary Jane came by and, obviously, noticed that I was not eating. I explained and showed her my issue with the meat. To her credit she did offer to replace it but by now I was in no mood. She stated that she would have to inform the Chef. I responded that that was fine BUT under no circumstance did I wish to speak with the Chef in the dining room (I figured that just because my experience in the Pinnacle sucked I wasn’t going to ruin it for everyone else in the place by making a scene). She indicated that she understood. Not five minutes later I spy the Chef and Mary Jane speaking in the middle of the dining room. Then he disappeared back into the kitchen. Well lo and behold not five more minutes later here he comes with a direct aim at my table. I knew what was coming and stood to greet the Chef (BTW…this was the same Chef that gave me the ingredients for the Mac n Cheese during the cooking demo). In a hushed tone I politely told the Chef that I had indicated to my server that I DID NOT wish to speak to him in the DR. With that he nodded his head and retreated. (Is there such a thing as STRIKE #4?) RC ordered the cheese cake for dessert and at this point I could care less. Coffee and cappuccino were also ordered. The cheese cake was a mile high and more than enough for even two people and the coffees were the best we had had on the entire ship. I did tip Mary Jane $20 and with that we were up and out of there. What is typically a three hour leisurely meal was whipped through in just over an hour. Actually faster than in the MDR.

Please, Please DO NOT let this one experience dissuade you from trying the Pinnacle if you have that desire. Our first experience was so delightful and this one not…but everybody has an off day/night and this might just have been theirs. If on the Splendor again I will definitely give it another go.

Spirit was the best and splendor the worst quality of food on the splendor has gone south.

And I just booked a night in Steakhouse on the Splendor. :(

Hope they turn it around by November 1st.

We just got off the splendor and we enjoyed the steakhouse. We thought the food was very good and the quality of meat was much better than the MDR. We also did the Chef's Table and that was amazing!! A bit more money (and we don't easily part with our money;)) but so worth it. We will skip the steakhouse next time, but definitely not miss the Chef's Table. If your budget allows and you are a bit adventurous with your food I would suggest the Chef's Table.

I have never tried the steakhouse and I usuallly hear good things about it, but has anyone had any bad experiences?

Hey I see you are from Appling I am here in Augusta( Evans) I see that you have a trip planned on the Dream this year I am looking to sail on her in November maybe will we be on the same sailing.

Never a bad experience with the food, or the service. MIRACLE was better than GLORY though. Service was also great.

Only problem were the parents of the toddler a few tables away. I think they wanted a nice private dinner to themselves, and forget they were parents with a toddler. The child was not just screaming and crying, but crawling around from table to table, and making sure all the other tables were able to hear the childs opinion of a three hour dinner experience. I do not blame the child, just poor parenting IMHO.

We just got off the splendor and we enjoyed the steakhouse. We thought the food was very good and the quality of meat was much better than the MDR. We also did the Chef's Table and that was amazing!! A bit more money (and we don't easily part with our money;)) but so worth it. We will skip the steakhouse next time, but definitely not miss the Chef's Table. If your budget allows and you are a bit adventurous with your food I would suggest the Chef's Table.

Definately the quality of the steak is much better than the MDR but the soups were watery and tasteless even the cheese cake which was fantastic was way below par. We have eaten at the splendor steakhouse 4 times and we see the decline except for the steak which was good.

ok.. a bad experience.. no...

But to us it wasn't as good as we expected , so we've decided to stick with the MDR. It's good to try once...

Bad? No, anything special? Not really. It is nice, similar to Flemings but nothing more than that. You do get a nice meal for a nice price but that is about all.

Never had a bad experience with the steakhouse food. Only bad time was with a screaming 4 year old at the next table.

UGGGH! I would not be happy with that. IMO Kids shouldn't be welcomed in the steakhouses. Camp Carnival.

Well I don't remember as it was so long ago, but rereading my review of the Carnival Miracle steak house I wasn't too impressed with the filet mignon. Said it was good, but had better.

But still recommend trying the steak house at least once, we just wouldn't go again.

Definately the quality of the steak is much better than the MDR but the soups were watery and tasteless even the cheese cake which was fantastic was way below par. We have eaten at the splendor steakhouse 4 times and we see the decline except for the steak which was good.

I had the lobster bisque which I thought was good, not the best I've had, but good. The spinach salad was very good and I had the surf and turf. The lobster was OK, again not the best I've had, the steak I thought was very good. We had similar steak at the Chef's Table the night before. I think even though the Chef's Table is more $ it is a better value. It was such a wonderful experience, the food was delicious and unlimited wine (not a big wine drinker so can't comment on the quality). Oh and our desserts at the steakhouse were nothing special.

Dined at the Sun King ( Freedom) with very inexperienced/nervous wait staff who just could not handle our 'huge' table for ...6. I had to chase down my 'medium' Porterhouse steak with a butcher knife and a skinning tool. I was sorely disappointed, and swore I was done with this type of dining.

A year later, we were a table for 9 at Nick and Noras on the Miracle. A completely different experience, and worth every delectable bite! Angels don't eat this well in heaven, and we were treated like we were seated in a 5 star Manhattan restaurant. It was beyond fabulous!

Have cruised on Carnival once (Miracle). Heard nothing but raves about the steakhouse so we tried it. We were disappointed, my steak came out raw. I sent it back and it came back raw again. Even if I overlook that, the steakhouse was average, not even close to the better steakhouses.

We were just off the Miracle a week ago and Nick and Nora's was hit or miss.

Lobster bisque was decent, but it was better in the MDR a few nights later. Jumbo shrimp appetizer was much better than tiny shrimp in MDR. Caesar salads were basically the same as the MDR which was very good.

NY Strip was undercooked and ended up being very fatty despite the demo model looking excellent on the preview trolley. They weren't the least bit concerned that most of the steak stayed on the plate. My Chilean sea bass was excellent though. I already don't remember what we had for desert so it couldn't have been that remarkable.

Service was attentive, but a bit stiff. Enjoyed our waiters in the MDR better.

We deemed it worth the $60 to escape the Bacchus dining room for a night since that was the ugliest dining room I have ever seen in my life.

Archived