Anyone had Steakhouse disappiontment?

echo

I have food allergies (Celiac Disease) and the steakhouse on the Conquest last year was AMAZING. They took such great care of my needs and I had the best meal! The lobster bisque was out of this world. They also made me a special dessert. It was so nice to be taken care of like this. We enjoyed it much that we dined there again before the cruise was over. I have reservations for our upcoming cruise and am so looking forward to it.

I have never tried the steakhouse and I usuallly hear good things about it, but has anyone had any bad experiences?

I wouldn't say mine was a bad experience but it wasn't all that great either. The food wasn't anything to brag about. The service was very good albeit very amateur. Perhaps the staff the night I went in were all new?

I would not have paid for that meal off ship thats for sure. To me the steaks were run of the mill steakhouse steaks from my area. Not in the league with Ruth Chris, Mortons, Capital Grill, etc. not even close. There is now way thats the same quality of meat. The girl giving the presentation mentioned they were "aged to Carnivals specification". Evidently that means 10 minutes because there was no way that steak was aged.

It was better then the MDR food but IMHO the steaks were typical $15 steaks available at most places near me.

Others on the cruise LOVED the food though.

I ordered the Spiced Rib Eye and my girlfriend had the fillet. She wasn't impressed either.

Give it a try, it might be worth it. As much as I was underwhelmed I might try it again. I could have went on an off night for the cooks and a day when the new crew was being broken in still.

Only bad experience we had was a very large party seated nearby. They were of an ethnic group which loves to express themselves LOUDLY. And so they did.

We were halfway through the meal and literally praying they would leave. When they finally did, it was bliss.

We generally absolutely LOVE the steakhouse experience (although, IMHO, it was much better as a supper club), but as far as desserts go, make sure you don't order the ice cream: it was a vanishingly small serving when I was silly enough to order it!

Only bad experience we had was a very large party seated nearby. They were of an ethnic group which loves to express themselves LOUDLY. And so they did.

We were halfway through the meal and literally praying they would leave. When they finally did, it was bliss.

I don't know what irritates me more....loud, obnoxious groups that think they are the center of the universe and are oblivious to those around them.....or parents who bring a child into the steakhouse when their prince or princess should be babysat at Camp Carnival.

It was so-so for us on Splendor years ago. Not a lot better than MDR and a lot more full of itself. I may go back some day if fancy strikes, but not in a big hurry. I look forward to trying the new Red Frog Pub on the Magic, that seems more appealing to me than a stuffy not all that great steakhouse.

... this past February - and I would have to say that it was one of the highlights of our cruise! My wife had the filet, and she said that it was the BEST steak she had EVER had. I had a HUGE porterhouse that was great as well. We were very impressed - and I am picky about my food. The service was attentive and friendly. The ONLY negative is that Harry's is right below the jogging track, so from 5:30 until 6 (when they close the track), we literally heard people loudly running overhead.

We will be back on the Liberty next February, and we are planning on doing it again.:D

BTW, I do agree that there should be no small children (under 10?) allowed in the steakhouses. Are you listening Carnival?

Bruce

aka counsel

Never a bad experience with the food, or the service. MIRACLE was better than GLORY though. Service was also great.

Only problem were the parents of the toddler a few tables away. I think they wanted a nice private dinner to themselves, and forget they were parents with a toddler. The child was not just screaming and crying, but crawling around from table to table, and making sure all the other tables were able to hear the childs opinion of a three hour dinner experience. I do not blame the child, just poor parenting IMHO.

Wow, that's terrible. I would have said something to the hostess AND the "parents" The steakhouse is not a place for toddlers or screaming babies.

interesting the varied responses.

i wonder if some ships or some chefs cut corners. seems everyone is happy with the spirit class steakhouse on average.

me? i always feel i'm missing something in the mdr.

but i do know i wish i knew how the cows know which dr they are going to end up in.

loved the story about the fresh lobster tail. i actually hope that server did quit.

If you can't tell the difference between USDA prime beef that is aged and the "steak" you get in the MDR, you should skip the steakhouse and the upcharge. I like a good steak and that's what you get in Carnival's steakhouse. Our last time was in Harry's (when it was a supper club) on the Liberty and that was a great night. I actually preferred it to the Crown Grill on Princess, which we also enjoy.

The way I look at kids in a steakhouse is that they allow them in Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Capital Grill and Carnival is no different. Steakhouses are not quiet romantic places that many Carnival passengers seem to want to attribute them to be. I don't get that. These venues are for great steaks or at least very good ones. To us, it's worth the upcharge over the standard function food in the MDRs (whether it be on Carnival, Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

If you can't tell the difference between USDA prime beef that is aged and the "steak" you get in the MDR, you should skip the steakhouse and the upcharge. I like a good steak and that's what you get in Carnival's steakhouse. Our last time was in Harry's (when it was a supper club) on the Liberty and that was a great night. I actually preferred it to the Crown Grill on Princess, which we also enjoy.

The way I look at kids in a steakhouse is that they allow them in Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Capital Grill and Carnival is no different. Steakhouses are not quiet romantic places that many Carnival passengers seem to want to attribute them to be. I don't get that. These venues are for great steaks or at least very good ones. To us, it's worth the upcharge over the standard function food in the MDRs (whether it be on Carnival, Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

I agree with all of that :)

. Steakhouses are not quiet romantic places that many Carnival passengers seem to want to attribute them to be. I don't get that. These venues are for great steaks or at least very good ones.

Agree 100% unless the toddler is next to my table :D .(Wouldn't be happy with tyke in Morton's either)

We found the mains to be great.Less impressed with the rest.

As Rottweiller Puppy posted, we found the service amateurish but friendly and attentive.

It took 3 staff members to understand and get Dijon mustard.

No biggie but not something you would find in high end steak house.

Totally agree with your post.

Agree 100% unless the toddler is next to my table :D .(Wouldn't be happy with tyke in Morton's either)

We found the mains to be great.Less impressed with the rest.

As Rottweiller Puppy posted, we found the service amateurish but friendly and attentive.

It took 3 staff members to understand and get Dijon mustard.

No biggie but not something you would find in high end steak house.

Good points on the service, although....on the Liberty last month, the service was the best we have ever had (15 times).

We dined twice when it was still the Supper Club, had a fantastic experience both times. We have also dined twice in the 'revamped' Steakhouse - not as impressed. The first time was on the Dream, and the food was very good, but the ambiance, not so much. Last time was on the Valor last year, and the quality of the food has declined. We had better lobster in the MDR than in the Steakhouse. If I had not experienced the Supper Club, I may not have been as disappointed, but we have decided we probably won't frequent it each cruise anymore.

I agree with all of that. But a side note. The steaks in the Steakhouse are certainly not aged very long. They just say to their "specification". Most places will tell you how long they were aged for. I suspect Carnivals steaks are hardly aged at all.

I also found the decor to be a bit gaudy at Harrys. Its certainly not the slice of solitude and heaven many here seem to think it should be. Children should be allowed in just as they should be in ANY steakhouse.

Perhaps Carnival attracts more of the type of parent that has poor parenting skills and consideration for others? I have yet to see wild children in any land based upscale steak place I have been to. Then again if they charged only $30 that included the tip, I bet the customer base would shift to more parents who cannot or will not control their kids. You are getting run of the mill average working class customers, at average working class prices and you expect a 5 star upper class Country Club environment?

You also cannot expect Carnival to remove loud and rowdy people and others who break rules. (chair hogs, hillbilly dining attire, line cutters, loud folks in the MDR, etc) I noticed Carnival is a line that refuses to say no when it comes to such things. Much like the parent who let their kids run wild. Well you should expect them to like other lines would but I wouldn't count on it.

You guys who are complaining about kids have a valid point but remember, the price will affect who you eat with.

(BTW yes folks more well to do can have loud kids as well, I just find they are more apt to control themselves and their children in public)

edited to add for the cultie goons-

Oh and I am middle class working guy like most else. I am not "bashing" Carnival. Just relaying my opinions and observations. I am planning on sailing Carnival again as I loved my last cruise with them.

...Steakhouses are not quiet romantic places that many Carnival passengers seem to want to attribute them to be....

I respectfully disagree, or at least I would have back when it was a supper club. At the Golden Fleece on the Legend, my then-fiancee and I had simply the most wonderful and romantic night possible, dancing to Sinatra played by the pianist and singer, and we had many of our fellow diners come up and dance with us also and tell us we were a great couple. That ambiance is unfortunately gone now...but at least we got to feel it once. :)

As for everyone saying that you're not going to get 5-star steakhouse service like at Ruth Chris (which to me is 4-star dining at 5-star prices, but then again, I am a far bigger fan of Peter Luger's), I can only reply, as I usually do with Carnival, that at the price point they offer, as well as in light of the fact that Carnival provides a whole host of services all in one vacation, well, they do a fine enough job by me! Do I expect a Peter Luger quality porterhouse? Not necessarily. Am I pleased enough that I am getting it from the same venue that offers me three meals a day, a good cabin with cleaning services, pools, entertainment at night, etc., all while taking me to foreign destinations? Absolutely!

Well, we've been on 25 Carnival Cruises and in every case where there has been a "Steakhouse", we've eaten there. I agree with those who fondly remember the "Supper Club" Atmosphere, and miss it....the "Steakhouse" ambiance is far from what it used to be. That said, out of all of those dining experiences, I only had one bad one.....got a bad steak....ribeye if I remember correctly. When you have that experience, by the time you get another steak everyone else is far ahead of you and the experience is ruined. Now, after all the dinners we had there, one bad one is not a bad percentage. All the other dinners were exceptional, and well worth the additional fee.

I've been twice. My first steakhouse experience a year ago was amazing, but I had a meal a few weeks ago that was less than perfect aboard the Legend.

We went on a very busy night and the kitchen and waitstaff were struggling to keep up. My appetizer came lukewarm, so it had clearly been sitting in the kitchen a while before being delivered to my table.

For the main course, I made the mistake of ordering the "chef's special" which was a steak that had been treated with a dry spice rub. The rub was so overpowering that I could hardly taste the meat. I was disappointed--with meat that good you want to be able to taste it instead of a bunch of spices.

DW's lobster was wonderful, as was the lobster bisque, and the desserts were to die for. Still, I wanted a do-over on that visit to the steak house.

Tried the "Steakhouse" on the Glory last Dec. We were very disappointed in both the food quality and the service. I had the fillet and lobster tail. The previous evening I had the prime rib and lobster tail in the MDR and found it to be better. Don't think I'll try again when we cruise on the Glory again this coming Dec. Maybe on a different ship in the future.......

We dined twice when it was still the Supper Club, had a fantastic experience both times. We have also dined twice in the 'revamped' Steakhouse - not as impressed. The first time was on the Dream, and the food was very good, but the ambiance, not so much. Last time was on the Valor last year, and the quality of the food has declined. We had better lobster in the MDR than in the Steakhouse. If I had not experienced the Supper Club, I may not have been as disappointed, but we have decided we probably won't frequent it each cruise anymore.

Well, we ate at Harry's twice (two different cruises) when it was a supper club. We really enjoyed the whole experience. Sounds like we may be in for a letdown when we go to the steakhouse on the Magic this summer. Too bad. But we'll enjoy the food. I thought the steaks at Harry's were better than Crown Grill (Princess). I'm still looking forward to it.

Archived