Graduation cruise turns to disappointment

That is absolutely awful, those poor families, what a nightmare. That's why we always book through Carnival. My friend went through a travel agent last year, she paid for a ocean view but when we boarded she had the first inside cabin at the front of the ship. Of course the ship was sold out so she was stuck.

That is absolutely awful, those poor families, what a nightmare. That's why we always book through Carnival. My friend went through a travel agent last year, she paid for a ocean view but when we boarded she had the first inside cabin at the front of the ship. Of course the ship was sold out so she was stuck.

I definitely believe that booking thru Carnival is the best way to go also. But, you still have to do your homework and research, research, research. I have heard of a couple of situations where people booked thru Carnival and asked for the "lowest rate". They were booked under Early Saver, but did not know/were not told that that rate comes with stipulations. They only found out when they (at some time later) called Carnival to make a change to their booking. We have developed a relationship with a very good PVP, and we only book thru him. But, even though he is good, we still do our own research and study of the deck plans and rate comparisons even before we pick up the phone to call him.

That is very sad. But the consumer should have received a confirmation for each p[assanger as well. As for the agent going out of business - if they were a legit business, their insurance should handle the monies owed. It's terrible what happened to these poor folks. I'm an agent but set up where I do not take any payments to my company - I only take credit cards and work with CCL or whoever the supplier is directly so this kind of thing is not possible. I book 100's of CCL per year not to mention other vacations - and have never had an issue. if you have a travel business you must have E&O insurance.

That said once again it's a shame what happened to these folks. I hope it gets resolved.

I definitely believe that booking thru Carnival is the best way to go also. But, you still have to do your homework and research, research, research. I have heard of a couple of situations where people booked thru Carnival and asked for the "lowest rate". They were booked under Early Saver, but did not know/were not told that that rate comes with stipulations. They only found out when they (at some time later) called Carnival to make a change to their booking. We have developed a relationship with a very good PVP, and we only book thru him. But, even though he is good, we still do our own research and study of the deck plans and rate comparisons even before we pick up the phone to call him.
The consumer should do their research no matter who they book with! Great post!

I hope she got the difference back and never used that TA again?

That is very sad. But the consumer should have received a confirmation for each p[assanger as well. As for the agent going out of business - if they were a legit business, their insurance should handle the monies owed. It's terrible what happened to these poor folks. I'm an agent but set up where I do not take any payments to my company - I only take credit cards and work with CCL or whoever the supplier is directly so this kind of thing is not possible. I book 100's of CCL per year not to mention other vacations - and have never had an issue. if you have a travel business you must have E&O insurance.

This TA probably let her insurance lapse...but even if she paid her premiums would the insurance company pay a claim based on fraud? Is this insurance industry wide or just in select states??

Sadly, this seem to be a case of a small town where people dont expect to be defrauded. Im sure most of the people involved either knew the TA personally or knew her family and didnt think twice about making the payments, especially since the seniors from last year used this company with no issues.

Hope there is some resolution or jail time.

(I just can't stand to disappoint my son.) I feel so bad for these families. Research every thing very well. And then you have to stay on top of it at all times. It is a shame that you have to look so far and wide to find honesty these days.

with todays technology ( people booking direct), I would be very leary to book with a independent TA

certainly not pay them directly perhaps a credit card that shows payment to the cruise line itself...

almost had the samething happen with a spring break trip for my son... some " tour agency" wanted direct payment 7 mos in advance.. I said no... son wasnt happy ... but came time for the spring break the tour op was out of biz and all money was lost....

Research every thing very well. And then you have to stay on top of it at all times.

Great advice. We check the status of our booking often just to make sure no mistakes have been made and that no "accidents" have happened (such as accidental cancellings). Also, the rare time we have booked thru a travel agent, my sister always calls Carnival just to confirm that payments were received. Note: Carnival will not discuss travel agent bookings directly with the guest, but in our experience, the customer service reps will at least confirm that the payments have indeed been made.

Maybe it's a generational thing but I wouldn't even think to book a cruise - or even a land based vacation - with a TA. My assumption is that they're a middleman who will take their cut and have me paying a higher price, with little to no benefit to me. However my husband and I are in our early 30s and are accustomed to booking travel online since it's all we've ever done.

For work we have to now self-book even international trips rather than using the corporate TA, because they cost too much. I suspect the traditional travel agent is something of a dying breed.

Maybe it's a generational thing but I wouldn't even think to book a cruise - or even a land based vacation - with a TA. My assumption is that they're a middleman who will take their cut and have me paying a higher price, with little to no benefit to me. However my husband and I are in our early 30s and are accustomed to booking travel online since it's all we've ever done.

For work we have to now self-book even international trips rather than using the corporate TA, because they cost too much. I suspect the traditional travel agent is something of a dying breed.

I also book directly, but I assume they used a TA because

1) the previous seniors used the same TA without incident

2)They wanted to support a local business

3) from the video it appears the TA booked a bus for transport to the cruise terminal and probably handled a pre cruise stay. For people that dont travel much, it was easier to let one person put the complete package together.

Don't assume ;) most of us don't charge fee's and many times find clients better deals than what you see "online".

My assumption is that they're a middleman who will take their cut and have me paying a higher price, with little to no benefit to me.

Cruise travel agents get their commission from the cruiselines-- the passengers pay no fee to them. My TA is an old friend, and I figure that since I'm experienced enough to know just what I want, why shouldn't she make a few bucks? It costs me nothing to book through her.

I don't know how it is with other forms of vacations, but when a Carnival cruise is booked through a TA versus directly with Carnival, the price the guest pays is not increased due to the commission the TA earns, because the commission comes out of Carnival's cut. Carnival is paying the TA's commission, not the guest.

Having said that, I still feel more comfortable booking directly through Carnival, because I want to have control over my booking and not have to go through a middle man to make changes, for price drops, etc.

Is there something wrong with an inside cabin at the front of the ship? think we are three or four cabins back from front.... :confused:

Is there something wrong with an inside cabin at the front of the ship? think we are three or four cabins back from front.... :confused:

on the Riviera deck my friend had the first room. It was a huge room BUT the waves were making VERY loud banging sounds on the side of the ship. I would take this room if I got it free ...otherwise no.

OP that is very sad that those students got taken. I hope legal action is taken!

Cruise travel agents get their commission from the cruiselines-- the passengers pay no fee to them. My TA is an old friend, and I figure that since I'm experienced enough to know just what I want, why shouldn't she make a few bucks? It costs me nothing to book through her.

Ditto here!

Those kids had very nice parents to send them on a cruise for graduation, but it is sad that the TA/agency screwed them over. I have to wonder anyone got a booking numbers for the cruise and had a log in for Carnival to keep track of the cruise. You are supposed to be told the booking number, it is, in a sense, your only way to track the booking. I don't know if they were naive, or were so trusting in the TA/agency that they didn't sense something was wrong earlier.

I hope the TA has the book thrown at her and make her pay for everyone to go on the cruise they were promised, and she'd have to suck it up and pay all costs for the group...

Archived