Are there really five formal nights on a seven day crossing?

Terrence Richards

I just took a look at my "Voyage Personalizer" for the October 7, and October 16, crossing. It indicated five of the seven nights are formal.

Is that so? Only the first and final night were not formal.

If anyone who has recently crossed on the Queen Mary 2 for a seven day crossing, would you please comment here.

I know from the past that the pre documents we receive that indicate the dress code per night are changed once on board.

Thanks for any help.

Terrence

I just took a look at my "Voyage Personalizer" for the October 7, and October 16, crossing. It indicated five of the seven nights are formal.

Is that so? Only the first and final night were not formal.

If anyone who has recently crossed on the Queen Mary 2 for a seven day crossing, would you please comment here.

I know from the past that the pre documents we receive that indicate the dress code per night are changed once on board.

Thanks for any help.

Terrence

I just got back from a QM2 crossing, westbound. We had 4 formal nights (tux or dark suit for men), 1 semi-formal (jacket and tie) and 2 elegant casual nights (no tie required). Is that what your voyage summary indicates as well?

We'll be crossing on July 27th and back again on August 15th. Like Rob, on both legs of our journey we're scheduled for four formal nights; one night is semi-formal, and two are elegant casual. Perhaps you misread your personalizer. Of course, it could be that Cunard decided that you merited an especially refined crossing!

Four formal, one semi formal and two elegant casual seems to be the consistent dress code for the seven day crossings. If that is too many, you can always go to the King's Court for an evening or two as you can be fairly casual there.

Yes, 4 Formal nights on my upcoming 7 night TA .

Also 1 Informal night . I really wish that Cunard would do away with such a thing as an Informal night and just make it an additional Elegant Casual . Just Formal or Elegant Casual simplifies packing .:rolleyes:

My wife and I were quite surprised to see a few fellow diners in Britannia (first sitting) in less than formal attire on the stipulated nights. Some even 'sporty'. However, none of them were turned away. So provided you have no ambitions to sit with the Officers, you may not need to be too concerned. And before anyone castigates me for these comments, we adhered strictly to the code, just telling what we saw. Perhaps the late sitting is more strict?

For the June 24 WB TA & the July 6 EB TA the voyage personaliser is showing

5 formal nights in each direction.

Gari

I think that this will be changed on board to 4 formal and 1 semi formal with elegant casual at the beginning and end.

Terrence

All the dress codes for each cruise are here:

https://ask.cunard.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/qm_dresscode_2011

Looks like you've got 4 formals, 1 semi formal and two elegant casual.

Thank you all for your responses.

My "Voyage Personalizer" for "Travel Summary" indicates the first and final night as "Elegant Casual" and all the other five nights as "Formal". Two of the formal nights are for the "Black and White Ball" and the "Masquerade Ball".

As you can see from my listings of voyages here, I have been on the Queen Mary 2 since 2004, but this will be my third back to back crossing. The two previous crossings where for six days each way.

I thought that Cunard was pushing another formal night on the agenda because of the seven day crossing. I do not mind putting on the tuxedo outfit but five nights each was is a little too much for me. My wife and I do head for the kings Court on some of the formal nights in order not to go through the formal dress routine.

I too agree with MCC Retired that there should just be Elegant Casual and Formal. The majority of the guests onboard the QM2 from what I have seen come onboard looking rather nice.

Another question maybe someone can answer here. Is there a surcharge yet for dinning in the Kings Court at night when reservations are required in one of dinning sections?

Hello to pepperrn and capunpugwash who I have met onboard at Cruise Critic Member gatherings in the Commodore Club.

Terrence

There is a $10 per person charge in all of the King's Court sections for dinner except for one place and that place is a free-of-charge buffet rotated among three sections each night. . . . Lotus, La Piazza and The Carvery. The Chef's Galley always has the chef preparing your meal in front of you and is never a buffet at night. The areas with a charge are served meals.

We'll be on the 7 October Eastbound. The Travel Summary in my Personalizer shows four formal nights - October 10 is Semi-Formal.

Thank you all for your responses.

I too agree with MCC Retired that there should just be Elegant Casual and Formal. The majority of the guests onboard the QM2 from what I have seen come onboard looking rather nice.

Terrence

Terrence, Hello to you. The difference between semi formal and elegant casual is only the addition of a tie so I really don't see the point of making your suggested changes. The ladies usually wear posh frocks or similar for both I believe.

Terrence, Hello to you. The difference between semi formal and elegant casual is only the addition of a tie so I really don't see the point of making your suggested changes. The ladies usually wear posh frocks or similar for both I believe.

Jim,

would you not wear a lounge suit for semi formal and a sports jacket and tie for elegant casual?

Jim,

would you not wear a lounge suit for semi formal and a sports jacket and tie for elegant casual?

No I wear the same kind of clothes for each and it usually includes a tie on both evenings. A sports jacket/blazer works well for both.

With only one Semi on a 7 day TA (and since we're driving around a bit for a week after the cruise) you be assured I won't be packing anything just for the semi formal night. Probably my EC blazer plus a tie.

With only one Semi on a 7 day TA (and since we're driving around a bit for a week after the cruise) you be assured I won't be packing anything just for the semi formal night. Probably my EC blazer plus a tie.

You might wish to consider adding trousers and a shirt.:eek:

For the June 24 WB TA & the July 6 EB TA the voyage personaliser is showing

5 formal nights in each direction.

Gari

Sorry folks, Mea Culpa, should have gone to Specsavers. There are only 4 formal nights showing on the VP. E. Cas. Formal, Formal, SEMIFORMAL, Formal, Formal E. Cas.

An Overexcited Gari

Perhaps a splash of Old Spice on semi Formal evening will take the mood up a peg.

I did know a very strange young man once, he had a liking for alcohol and when he couldn't get any late one night he resorted to after shave. As I say, very strange.. he didn't even put tonic water in it.:eek::eek::eek:

I did know a very strange young man once, he had a liking for alcohol and when he couldn't get any late one night he resorted to after shave. As I say, very strange.. he didn't even put tonic water in it.:eek::eek::eek:

Drinking your spirits neat shows the character of a man

I presume that he posts on these very boards.

Don't tell it's more fun to guess.

Which ship is he master of now?

Archived