Average age on Oceania

My husband and I are 42 and 40, and we are taking our first cruise ever in a few weeks. Regatta to Alaska. We picked Oceania because of the port-intensive itinerary. Lack of nightlife is a plus for us; we would avoid floorshows like the plague, were they offered. We are looking forward to the lectures and the food and the whales and the glaciers. And we love that there will be very few children on board.

There is a new paradigm. No longer should we refer to people as "young" or "old", rather the correct terms are "young" and "not young".

I have heard "young, and less young." At any rate, I may be less young than I was before, or not young, but I'm still ready to go as are many people we have met on "O" It's just the less funds that keeps us from going as much as wed like to. :)

I am sailing on Marina during the European school holidays.Is it likely there will be many children onboard?

I would think not since Oceania does not have activities for children and does not encourage them in their literature. It's one of the reasons we love them so much:D

My DH and I will be on an Oceania cruise next year. Just a little point - not all people are behind a walker or in a wheelchair because of age only....I am there because of having Polio as a child.

Amen to that, 12c!

I'm 55, but have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since my mid-20's. When I thought the disease was in remission it was actually destroying joints. It flared up a few years ago and I now need knee replacements and am trying to keep other joints in check. Two surgeons I have consulted want me to wait as long as possible for the replacements. So I use a wheelchair and a cane (and sometimes a scooter).

By the way, we have been cruising since our early twenties and we have never been worried about the average age on a cruise. Not being late-night types, we fit in fine with babies and folks over ninety :D

I am sailing on Marina during the European school holidays.Is it likely there will be many children onboard?

Oh, probably hundreds! Running wild! You'll never get a table on deck for breakfast, and they will overwhelm the hot tubs and pool most of the day and night. On all the tours they'll be squawking on their cell phones. Hope your stateroom is on a higher deck: In the wee hours, they love racing through the hallways of the lower decks (I don't know why). Basically, you'll want to be dead. And you'll swear never to take another cruise.

Kidding! ;)

There is little likelihood that you will be inundated by "many children" on any Oceania cruise (unless their parents are pre-literate sadomasochists who cannot read or interpret Oceania's literature).

Thought I would chime in . we were on nautica, istanbal to rome in July of 09 with our 15 year old. at the time it set a record of 51 under the age of 21. then again on Insigna, barceleona to amsterdam in 2010. fewer under 21 but still 20 to 30.

He had a great time as did we.

Funny isn't it; we would never have considered Oceania for a cruise with our two sons (20 and 18). We are just trying it because we are managing to go on holiday on our own this year. We have previously travelled on P and O and RCI because the ships were so good for the boys. Mind you, they are still not happy that we are cruising without them.

On Insignia on the Med in July, 2005, there were several children on board. There were two sisters from Spain whom I saw only playing chess as we went into the MDR and 2 little boys whom I never saw on the ship at all, only in port in Dubrovnik. Any others I never saw at all.

We are scheduled for the Nautica June 27th sailing. We are bringing our 18 year old (university bound) son with us. While in many ways, he grew up and traveled extensively, not being a child; it would be nice if there were a few young people remotely around his age. ;)

We are scheduled for the Nautica June 27th sailing. We are bringing our 18 year old (university bound) son with us. While in many ways, he grew up and traveled extensively, not being a child; it would be nice if there were a few young people remotely around his age. ;)

Have you asked on your roll Call if any children will be coming?

There may be other onboard because of the time of year

Look for your ship & sailing date

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

In the 70's when we were in our 40's, when cruising was not as widespread as today, we often spoke To our fellow "aged" passengers who told us that they had recently retired and they were taking their, " trip of a lifetime."

After cruising for 40 years we have

found the demographics have changed as much as the ships have. There

are so many younger people enjoying the best way to take a vacation. There are many more international pax, it used to be that on most cruises 80% of the pax were from N.America. Nowadays, the mix of nationalities, of all ages, lends for a more interesting interplay of travelers.

We hope that, just as we enjoyed the company of the "aged" when we first cruised, the youngsters will enjoy our company and hope that they too, will with the passage of time, be able to enjoy the cruising life as much as we have.

There are so many younger people enjoying the best way to take a vacation.

I can say from personal experience, I have found at a very young age that a cruise vacation is one of the best experiences one can have. My family took me on a couple of cruise vacations in the late 80's and early 90's, and now that I have am married and have a daugher, we have cruised over 17 times in the last 7 years, and plan on many more.

I can say from personal experience, I have found at a very young age that a cruise vacation is one of the best experiences one can have. My family took me on a couple of cruise vacations in the late 80's and early 90's, and now that I have am married and have a daugher, we have cruised over 17 times in the last 7 years, and plan on many more.

I may have missed it, but did you book the Dec 10 Sapphire Seas? We have a Roll Call going, please join us. Deb

I am 36 and my GF is 34. We love the smaller ships. We have been on Oceania once, Azamara twice, along with celebrity and HAL a number of times. We choose Oceania and Azamara for the small ship experience, relaxing atmosphere (the pool deck is quiet), superior food and service and interesting ports. The entertainment is passable and there is little to no night life, but that is ok with us because there are not any lines or crowds like you find on the larger ships. We are booked on the Insignia in Oct for 14nts.

Do you think the average age would be lower on a Christmas/ New Year trip? We are mid-50's and are planning to take our two children (25 and 28) and their partners (28 and 29) on the Buenos Aires to Rio trip on Insignia.

We've chosen this trip because it fits in with our dates and is port intensive so hopefully the lack of evening entertainment won't be an issue.

Also, has anyone been to Rio at this time of the year? I realise that it is the rainy season and I know that December/ January this year was extremely wet- this is the main reason for my dithering in whether to confirm the trip...

Do you think the average age would be lower on a Christmas/ New Year trip? We are mid-50's and are planning to take our two children (25 and 28) and their partners (28 and 29) on the Buenos Aires to Rio trip on Insignia.

We were on Marina over Easter, and I think that's part of the reason why FDR said the average age was down by almost 7 years. (They only included passengers over 18, so the numbers wouldn't be too skewed.)

Your family will have such a good time together, and you'll probably meet a lot of great folks along the way. Enjoy!

Even though the average age on O is over 60 it is not like an old folks home

True there are not many people up late at night but most cruises are port intensive so people like to get an early night so they get an early start in the morning

Most people we met are very energetic even those in their 80's

I would go & enjoy the family time

lyn

We are in our late 40s and have just booked our very first cruise. We will be on Marina in November and can honestly say that the age of fellow passengers was not something we thought or worried about when selecting a cruise. We heard that Oceania was a fabulous line and Marina was a beautiful ship. Roll on November!

Chris

We are in our late 40s and have just booked our very first cruise. We will be on Marina in November and can honestly say that the age of fellow passengers was not something we thought or worried about when selecting a cruise. We heard that Oceania was a fabulous line and Marina was a beautiful ship. Roll on November!

Chris

You certainly picked a winner for your very first cruise:D. Once you have sailed with "O" you won't want to even think of trying another mainstream line. Our first ever was on the Regatta in 2008 and we are doing #6 on the Marina in Dec. This will be our second time on the Marina. Be careful, you are going to catch the "O Bug":p

We just returned from our Baltic cruise on Marina and I report that, to our great surprise, the average age of our fellow passengers was about 15 years older than on our previous three Mediterranean cruises and definitely over 70. (Or else so many outdoors sports enthusiasts, that they all were younger than they looked!)

I do not know if that was because of our Baltic destinations or the presence of many college alumni groups, but having just celebrated a "significant" birthday on board (and having received my Ohio Golden Buckeye card in the mail a few weeks earlier), we definitely were much younger than the vast majority of our fellow passengers, and I certainly am no spring chicken.

Four hundred of the almost 1200 onboard were repeat cruisers; there were two teenage girls and one toddler.

I really do not care about chronological age, which has little to do with one's attitude toward life; the only effects of this older group that I noticed was a significantly higher presence of suit jackets and ties being worn in the dining venues. This crowd, particularly the male gender, were a much dressier group than on our previous three Oceania cruises. Also, at the return passenger's cocktail party, everyone sat in the Horizon's chairs, so their was no mingling among the passengers at all; really weird for a purported cocktail party!

Archived