Diamond Princess Moveover offcers - Asia to Sydney

I can't remember the exact time Deb but I think it was about 2 weeks before sailing date. Cathy and Dennis would know as they took up the offer last year.

I know on our South American cruise it was about 10 days before we sailed.

Hi Barry,

Moveover offers are when the cruise line has oversold the cruise and has to find room for the people who bought a guarantee.

They basically try to buy the cabin back by offering deals, like full refunds, discount on another cruise, refund of expenses for cancelled bookings, etc , and if they get really serious, free cruises, plus the previous. The closer it gets to sailing date , the sweeter the deals get.

Suits some people, does not suit others.

The question remains though....

Why , or How did/do they oversell the cruise?

Akin to Airlines overselling, and then bumping people off flights.

David

Now gotcha! I was aware of this - but, I was thinking about relocation cruises.

Why , or How did/do they oversell the cruise?

I understand (and fully support) why they do it - but have often wondered about the "How" - eg when they get the possible/probable numbers wrong and not enough previously paid-up passengers drop out for various reasons (I understand it is quite a reasonable %)

As a regular booker of "guarantee" fares - I love it!

Barry

Like most people, I was aware that they overbook flights, but I was surprised that they overbook cruises.

I'm curious by just how much they overbook cruises, percentage wise?

I wonder if the stats are different for Australia, where we have non refundable deposits, versus the USA.

Like Barry, I no longer book until after final payment date and am happy to take a guarantee. I usually have researched travel alternatives, for last minute bookings.

US based cruise lines commonly overbook cruises as their citizens can change or cancel bookings with little or no penalty...fortunately for some on one Diamond Princess cruise last year this worked in their favour..we aussies dont change our minds so easily so they needed to offload lots of cabins at the last minute. Our roll call group got some fabulous offers including money back and a free alternative cruise. Yes they had already booked flights and accommodation in Singapore but they jumped on a deal on one of the Singapore based ships anyway. Lucky them:) and still had a free cruise to look forward to.We didn't get our cabin number allocated until 3 days before sailing and when we got to the cabin it had someone else's name and vouchers in it! Lots of last minute changing things around must have gone on.

As a regular booker of "guarantee" fares - I love it!Barry

The last time we booked a guarantee...

we got upgraded to a full suite.

I have no idea how they work out the moveovers or upgrades:confused:

Last time on Diamond we had friends in Sydney who heard , from the Roll Call , about the moveovers being offered , so they asked their TA to contact Princess and say they would be interested, but Princess came back and said they did not want their cabin:eek:

Archived