Oceania Marina and Crystal Cruises

chester8

We have cruised on Crystal once and did the Marina in February. I would say that they are very comparable in service and cabin size. But the food on Marina in the specialty restaurants is exceptional--as is the decor. I would highly recommend that you try Marina. We loved it so much that we are going again in 2012. We liked Crystal very much, but found for the price that we could choose similar itineraries on newer ships. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose Marina.

THANK YOU, MomC. I have been on 15 Crystal cruises and am sailing on the Marina in July. I didn't expect it to compare to Crystal but now I do. My husband passed away a year and a half ago and I didn't want to go back on Crystal just yet. I sailed on the Regent Navigator last month - alone - and LOVED it. But now you got me very excited about the Marina. I'll be travelling alone again on the July 29 cruise. THANKS!!!

• 1 month later...

Correction. I have a new boyfriend, Doug, who will be joining me on the July 29 cruise. Woud love to join a meet and greet. We are really looking forward to it!!!!

When we where on Oceania last year there was formal.

REALLY???? :eek:

What ship were you on?

Our first cruise was in 2004 & I have never seen a formal night on Oceania cruises ever

Lyn

When we where on Oceania last year there was formal. They changed and so will Crystal . Times are a changing

As Lyn said, you must be thinking of another ship/cruise line.

Oceania has never had formal nights (and I am sure never will). :)

As Lyn said, you must be thinking of another ship/cruise line.

Oceania has never had formal nights (and I am sure never will). :)

Well if there is not I would say when we where on last Christmas and New Years most people where dressed that way I had a jacket but most where in Suits and Tuxs maybe due to the Holidays

We thought it was a bit odd

Well if there is not I would say when we where on last Christmas and New Years most people where dressed that way I had a jacket but most where in Suits and Tuxs maybe due to the Holidays

We thought it was a bit odd

It is not a requirement but maybe those people wanted to dress up for the Holidays.

You are always free to dress up in formal attire but it in NOT required like on other lines

A personal choice

Lyn

:confused: What do you mean by a "class system ship?"

I'm with Purple Cow. While we've only sailed once on Oceania - getting ready for our second cruise later this month - I'd hardly call it a class system cruise line. Cunard strikes me that way - from what I've read - but not Oceania.

What makes constitutes class system for you, Stevanb? Not trying to be confrontational here, but rather seeking to understand.

I think of Cunard as being a class system because your dining areas are based on the cabin you've booked.

I'm with Purple Cow. While we've only sailed once on Oceania - getting ready for our second cruise later this month - I'd hardly call it a class system cruise line. Cunard strikes me that way - from what I've read - but not Oceania.

What makes constitutes class system for you, Stevanb? Not trying to be confrontational here, but rather seeking to understand.

I think of Cunard as being a class system because your dining areas are based on the cabin you've booked.

We where going with people we know and they wanted to eat dinner with us and a few other people and we ran in to this

You can make dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants earlier (60 days rather than 45 and can book 2 nights when you have a higher cabin

This is not a real big deal unless you are traveling with friends and the ship is full

On other lines we have been on they seem they do not have this policy

On Regent and Oceania have this policy OPPPS they are owned by the same company

Ahh, yes, that is true. I guess I always think of it as a perk you get for paying more. Someone pointed out in another thread, and I agree, most of the time, people are really paying for a larger stateroom. Those staterooms come with the ability to make more reservations in the specialty restaurants (as well as earlier) than those of us who book a smaller stateroom.

The thing on Cunard does seem to me to be more of a class system since you get relegated to a specific restaurant as a matter of course (pardon the pun) for the entire cruise and don't really have the chance to dine with passengers from all over the ship. But I suppose you can also make the case that this is also a perk. ;)

We where going with people we know and they wanted to eat dinner with us and a few other people and we ran in to this

You can make dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants earlier (60 days rather than 45 and can book 2 nights when you have a higher cabin

So when the people in the lower CAT get to book at the 45 days mark just add them to your reservation :rolleyes:

On other lines we have been on they seem they do not have this policy

On other lines they charge for the specialty restaurants so it is 1st come 1 serve

I agree ..Cunard has a class system but not Oceania

You do not have to eat in separate dining area or stay on the lower decks

Last cruise, 28 days in a deluxe outside, we ate in the specialty restaurants more than a dozen times. I'd pop over to the reservations podium, I'm thinking right after breakfast but maybe it wasn't open until later, and was able to get a reservation every time. If that was second class I'll take it any day! :)

Actually the guests in the higher cabin can make a reservation for the whole party 60 days in advance and include all the cabins in their reservation.

However they can only include the 45 day guests in one reservation and not both.

We have found that we only ever need one reservation as the food in the GDR is so good.

Also as stated you can make adl reservations once on board. The staff is really very good and working things out.

I hardly think it is a class thing as the higher cabins are paying more for the privilege of several perks.

Archived