Charleston groups to sue Carnival

I believe it's a select few that are complaining; not everyone.

The Historic Society would be just as happy if nothing changed in Charleston, ever! Someone needs to remind them this is 2011. Cruise ships will not hinder people from enjoying old town Charleston! Come on man! :mad:

It's not even the "old timers", it's transplants who've moved down to Charleston, gotten on the Historical Society boards as their "charity" du jour, and now need to have a CAUSE.

I loved the remark that cruise ship passengers weren't the type of tourist they wanted. Exactly what type of tourist do they want? The kind that doesn't spend money?

I actually heard references that these morons were saying that cruise passengers arent of the "standard desirable for Charleston". Just what the heck is THAT supposed to mean.

I think that means that Carnival cruisers are the Wal-mart cruisers of the cruising world. :p

As a 3rd generation Charlestonian with deep roots in this city I have seen this over and over. I understand preservation of historic buildings and such but I cant for the life of me understand why a ship being in port to debark and embark for a few hours for a day (not 7 days a week) makes it a problem. The revenue being brought into our city from folks visiting a day or two ahead of the cruise and/or after is seriously being overlooked.

This Williams guy said that 3500 people in our port is too much for our city to handle. What about the Spoleto Festival? What about the Bridge Run? Cmon! I actually heard references that these morons were saying that cruise passengers arent of the "standard desirable for Charleston". Just what the heck is THAT supposed to mean.

I love my beautiful town but these idiots are a bad representation of our hospitality.:mad:

Many of those that are complaining are not true Charlestonians. They were not born and raised here and do not have family that has lived here for 300 years! Many of the complainers are transplants! I love this city as well, and it makes me very sad to see this happening.

The Fantasy in Charleston doing 5-6 day cruises provides up to 37.5 million dollars in tourist dollars a year in revenue to the area, as well as 16 million in salaries to over 400 employees hired for the port.

But hey, a Dana Beach resident complained about the exhaust, so Carnival must be sued!

I loved the remark that cruise ship passengers weren't the type of tourist they wanted. Exactly what type of tourist do they want? The kind that doesn't spend money?

Surely he wasn't referring to the passengers that stop through Charleston as a port of call on the Oceania Regatta, Seven Seas Navigator, Seabourn Sojourn, Oriana, Crown Princess, Oceania Marina, Queen Victoria, P&O Oceana, Maasdam, or Crystal Symphony? Maybe he was only referring to that bunch off of the Carnival ships. ;)

Id like to see the chamber of commerce weigh in on the issue. I mean of a city whose major industry is tourism, why would they not want a boatload of tourists.

2K people, thats pax's cars that have to be parked for a week (tax), Hotels for 2000 people (tax), 2000 dinners and breakfasts (tax) tips on the dinners and breakfasts (income tax) day trips before/after cruise (tax) all those cars being filled up to go home (gas tax) shopping (tax). The jobs created to handle all these folks (income tax), those workers that come to Charleston (property tax) Imagine if two dream sized vessels work out of Charleston?

Money says this lawsuit is not going anywhere.

Id like to see the chamber of commerce weigh in on the issue. I mean of a city whose major industry is tourism, why would they not want a boatload of tourists.

2K people, thats pax's cars that have to be parked for a week (tax), Hotels for 2000 people (tax), 2000 dinners and breakfasts (tax) tips on the dinners and breakfasts (income tax) day trips before/after cruise (tax) all those cars being filled up to go home (gas tax) shopping (tax). The jobs created to handle all these folks (income tax), those workers that come to Charleston (property tax) Imagine if two dream sized vessels work out of Charleston?

Money says this lawsuit is not going anywhere.

I agree with this entirely. I would love to hear what the chamber has to say as well!!!

The Fantasy in Charleston doing 5-6 day cruises provides up to 37.5 million dollars in tourist dollars a year in revenue to the area, as well as 16 million in salaries to over 400 employees hired for the port.

But hey, a Dana Beach resident complained about the exhaust, so Carnival must be sued!

Correction - The resident's name was Dana Beach. I read the USA Today article incorrectly.

Here's a recent article from Charleston:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/11/us-charleston-cruise-dispute-idUSTRE74A04120110511

"It's an architectural invasion. A cruise ship is taller than the city steeples," said resident Leslie Scanlan, referring to a longstanding city rule that most new buildings be shorter than the tallest church steeple in "the Holy City."

Another one with an interview with the Mayor:

http://www.charlestonbusiness.com/news/39607-historic-preservation-mayor-riley-trade-letters-about-cruise-industry

Correction - The resident's name was Dana Beach. I read the USA Today article incorrectly.[/url]

Wasn't she the same one spearheading the controversy last summer on whether or not cruise ships were ruining Charleston?

This article from June 2010

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/05/debate-are-cruise-ships-ruining-historic-charleston-/94662/1

""Last Sunday I stood on the porch of our office on (Charleston's) East Bay and was enveloped in exhaust from Carnival Fantasy," writes Dana Beach, executive director of the Coastal Conservation League, who is critical of the increase in ship visits."

One attorney's opinion:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/06/articles/pollution-1/charleston-groups-to-sue-carnival-cruise-lines/

As a point of reference, this is the same scumbag lawyer who is spearheading the lawsuit against Carnival for the passenger's death in St Thomas.

As well as the voice firmly against Celebrity in the wheelchair passenger removed from the Century earlier this year. He apparently hates cruise lines. Period. His views are so heavily tainted and biased it's ridiculous. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank you Mayor Joe Riley for the voice of reason.

Hail to the mayor of Charleston for his answer to the law suit. His answer is the best example of true journalism that has surfaced during this debate.

Dianne

:rolleyes: Charleston is and always will be a PORT CITY. If the hoity-toity crowd wanted no ships, they should go somewhere that is not a PORT!!!!

Good point! I suppose those container ships don't bother them? My gosh, of the two, which would you rather see?

It's beginning to sound like someone's really, really bored and looking for something to complain about!

It would be a shame if Charleston built that new pier and no ships used it because of the hostility of certain groups in that area. That said, as others have noted, Carnival is probably overrun with cities that would happy to receive the economic impact of a ship calling their city home.

The groups complaining are always complaining about something in downtown Charleston. They are only a few of the population and in no way represent the majority. We want Carnival here and welcome more visitors and ships. PLEASE Carnival don't leave Charleston!

This really depends on how much strength there is against cruise ships from the locals (NIMBY's...not in my back yard, for those not aquainted with the expression).

Another US town has recently been through similar difficulties...Savannah, Georgia. I suspect the people in Charleston have taken a leaf or two from Savannah's book here.

There have been vociferous protestations against cruise ships in Savannah...despite at least 2 cruise lines expressing interest in using the town as a turnaround port. Savannah have looked into the infrastructure & emissions side of things, weight those up along with NIMBY opinions and have pretty much put a block on cruise ships using the town as a turnaround.

Charleston's NIMBY's will have seen that victory and decided to go the same way with their protests...which have been simmering for a couple years, this is nothing new at all from there. The road closures & diversions when a ship comes into the city will make life more difficult for those not directly involved with the ships and in the past other cruise ships have been there for the day....the new terminal is actually to encourage day visits, so effectively it WOULD bring potentially 7 ships + per week...and when you consider a week of road closures and diversions, then I guess the NIMBY's have a point.

Whether or not the NIMBY's win this, is debateable, but if they make enough noise, then chances are that other port cities will follow suit.

One port has already banned cruise ships from using its facilities and it has lost a very lucrative deal too from RCI..Placenia in Belize. RCI wanted to invest in cruise facilities etc but the locals said no and the cruise line backed off.

If tiny Belize can do it...then Charleston's NIMBY's stand a good chance at saying no too.

Archived