Charleston groups to sue Carnival

I agree completely with you. It's a shame that the citizens there are throwing away a huge revenue source.

The citizens aren't. It's a few of the self-important ones that are and you can bet it's all about the few and their bank accounts

So did something new happen? I see the thread jumped from June to today. Was there some news?

Actually, it was from June of last year, so over a year old. And Carnival is still sailing from Charleston! Anyone know if the lawsuit was thrown out?

I hope to sail from there one day as I've never been to Charleston and have always wanted to visit. Combining that with a couple of days to explore would be nice.

The whole suit is about a select few downtown that don't want "soot" from a cruise ship.... like the "soot" from a cruise ship is any different than a container ship.

The vast majority wish they would wander off and never come back but as we all know very nowadays anybody can sue... winning is a whole other fact.

The mayor, council, surrounding cities (Mt. Pleasant, James Island, North Charleston, Summerville, etc.), businesses all want and support the cruise line and the new terminal. A real shame.

Come, visit, cruise, shop, eat! We love ya'll!

The whole suit is about a select few downtown that don't want "soot" from a cruise ship.... like the "soot" from a cruise ship is any different than a container ship.

The vast majority wish they would wander off and never come back but as we all know very nowadays anybody can sue... winning is a whole other fact.

The mayor, council, surrounding cities (Mt. Pleasant, James Island, North Charleston, Summerville, etc.), businesses all want and support the cruise line and the new terminal. A real shame.

Come, visit, cruise, shop, eat! We love ya'll!

Here! Here! Wish those winers with more money than common sense would find a new cause. The vast majority of us love having a year-round cruise port and personally I would love to have additional ships here.

By the way - love the IOP!!!!

Like I've said in other threads about the subject, Charleston is a working port and has been for many, many years. I really don't know what the problem is with these people.

If you've never visited Charleston, you don't know what you're missing. It's a beautiful old town and is well worth a visist. I cannot wait to return there on Sunday (yes, I'm bolting first thing in the morning after DD's wedding on Saturday evening).

But there are more recent threads about Charleston and Carnival on the boards (both here and on the East Coast Departures board), aren't there Bob?

Here is a brochure that the port authority have on their site. We want to keep Carnival here in Charleston and if these preservationists have their way and keep this tied up in the courts we are going to end up with a renovated terminal instead of something fantastic...like this:

http://www.scspa.com/UnionPierPlan/7606-01_UnionPierPlan_com_Interactive_Brochurec2.html

Please come to Charleston and cruise! We want you here. Our restaurants, hotels and tourist areas love you. This small group of idiots are loud but you cannot argue with the revenue being brought in. We are a port city and will ALWAYS be a port city.

My husband and I were in Pawley's Island for my cousin's wedding last month. We drove down to Charleston for a day because we had actually never been there. I LOVED the city!!! The Fantasy was actually in port and we sat by the water for an hour and watched it sail away. (You could hear the ship's announcements from the dock which made me envious of those sailing!) My husband and I sailed on the Fantasy back in 2006 out of New Orleans.

I think that cruise ships docked in Charleston just add more charm to the city. I agree that the itineraries out of Charleston aren't as good as others, but if the ship fills up, there's no reason not to leave it in Charleston.

We have a nice cruise terminal here in Norfolk and I would be thrilled if they sailed from here year round. Lots of ships in and out of the area where the terminal is located and I don't think there are any pesky neighborhood associations that would object.

Here is a brochure that the port authority have on their site. We want to keep Carnival here in Charleston and if these preservationists have their way and keep this tied up in the courts we are going to end up with a renovated terminal instead of something fantastic...like this:

http://www.scspa.com/UnionPierPlan/7606-01_UnionPierPlan_com_Interactive_Brochurec2.html

Please come to Charleston and cruise! We want you here. Our restaurants, hotels and tourist areas love you. This small group of idiots are loud but you cannot argue with the revenue being brought in. We are a port city and will ALWAYS be a port city.

Great brochure! As always with timely and informative stuff.... Thanks All!

Sure would be nice to have a CCL ship port in NC. Wilmington, while larger is too faraway from the sea lanes. Morehead City, OTOH, has plenty of tourist draws, and is 5 miles from the sea lanes. Easy access into and from the port. We'd welcome the jobs.

These people are clearly uninformed.

It's not like it's parked in the harbor "7 days a week"!

Fantasy is doing 5- and 6-day cruises. Which means they come back, drop off passengers, pick up passengers, and leave again! Perhaps a bit of hassle with traffic, noise, etc on that "changeover day", but that's it... and because they're shorter cruises, that changeover day isn't even the same day every week! It's not like it's EVERY Saturday, as it is in port servicing 7-day cruises.

Not to mention the tourist $$ that the ships bring to their city - many cruisers who fly do so to arrive the day before... might stay a day after... which is good for restaurants, hotels, etc!

I was thinking the same thing. Who wrote this article?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clips from the article,

Cruise ships like the Mercury can dump completely untreated sewage 12 miles offshore. Although the article concludes that waste from the Mercury poses no risk to marine life or people who eat local seafood, there is a risk of contaminated water infecting shellfish which filter-feed.

In this day and age, it is barbaric to think that hundreds of cruise ships routinely dump human waste into the sea.

Cruise lines dump waste because they register their cruise ships outside of U.S. jurisdiction in places like Liberia and Panama which don't care what the cruise lines do.

The thought of a cruise ship like the Mercury dumping hundreds of thousands of gallons of norovirus infected feces just 12 miles offshore South Carolina is particularly disgusting.

Cruise lines like Carnival and Royal Caribbean are corporate felons for environmental crimes and lying to the U.S. Coast Guard. Trusting them to act responsibly is foolish.

That's why South Carolina is smart to protect its waters and its people by holding the cruise ships accountable to local regulations and ordinances.

They do have a liable point .

Don't eat a tomato from any grocery store!

:rolleyes:

Archived