Book discussion groups?

Aruba

I just read in a HAL brochure that there are "book discussions coordinated by our onboard librarian available on 15 days or longer sailings". How does one find out in advance what books will be discussed on a particular cruise?

I've done HAL cruises longer than 15 days but they've been back-to-backs so I've never before seen a notice of this on the daily program.

I had no luck calling ship services 1-800-541-1576 before our last cruise. My wife took part in the group discussing The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck on our Santiago to Rio de Janeiro cruise. With 20 cruisers interested, they divided into morning and afternoon groups. They took two days to discuss each section of material, a discussion and a recap to accommodate differing schedules. My wife thought it would be better if everyone read at the same pace. People who had read the whole book would mention things that had not happened yet. There were also skimmers who missed a lot of the details. The groups were all female and all native English speakers. The eight in my wife's group were all pleased with the activity. The librarian, Alyssa (?) was superior. She had not read the book in advance.

It was suppose to have been started on one of our repositioning cruises - 21 days -- nothing.

But on one of our 20 day cruises -- back-to-back -- a woman (not the librarian) tried to start a book discussion. A couple of people showed up -- don't remember the name of the book -- it lasted only a couple of days as the person in charge wanted a written report for the next session - people didn't have time to write a report -- tours, etc. The second 10 days -- nothing was offered.

it lasted only a couple of days as the person in charge wanted a written report for the next session - people didn't have time to write a report

It sounds like a teacher. I also would not want to be doing written reports while on vacation...and would have known telling people they needed a written report at the next session would be a good way to ensure they never came back :confused:

Written report...... that's ridiculous. Did she intend to grade them? :D

They weren't looking for college credits. :eek:

Too bad she was so rigid. It could have been a pleasant activity.

On our cruise to Hawaii last year I joined the group (about 12 of us) reading Molokai. It was a great book and led to some good discussion about the leprosy island. Most kept to the reading schedule of about 40 pages a day. Some finished early but didn't ruin the ending for us.

We read Like Water for Chocolate on our Panama Canal cruise. It was listed on the ship's daily events and run by Liz, the Statendam's Library hostess. We had around 10 - 12 people attend and absolutely no pressure. Very nice experience and NO written reports!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like a teacher. I also would not want to be doing written reports while on vacation...and would have known telling people they needed a written report at the next session would be a good way to ensure they never came back :confused:

I'm a retired teacher, and I would NEVER assign a written report for adults who were participating in something like this for enjoyment. Nor would I appreciate receiving such an assignment while on a cruise. (My philosophy was, 'You assign it. You grade it.' I certainly wouldn't want to GRADE a series of written reports while on my vacation!) That person should have realized that people participate in a book club for the pleasure of reading, not so they can do a book report. Absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Like sansterre, we had a book group on our Circle Hawaii cruise, and the book was Molokai. As luck would have it, that was one of the books I had brought along to read. The librarian, a pleasant young woman, had about 15 quality paperback copies of the book to hand out for the duration of the group. So it looks like you don't have to know ahead of time; just come to the first meeting and sign for your book and start reading. We had only about 5 readers left at the end, but our last meeting included some nice desserts and coffee, and the company of our Onboard Lecturer, Kainoa. Having his insight in a small group was one of the highlights of the cruise for me.

I hope we have a book group on our next cruise -- a 23-day repositioning cruise. Somebody pinch me!

Mrs M

Archived