Infant Travel Bed Idea

ZachMary

We are expecting our first Little One this November. Obviously traveling too much this year is out (boo!!) So my hubby and I are starting to look around for ideas for next year.

I was concerned about taking a cruise with an infant because I thought the Pack N Play or Crib would take up a lot of room and be very cumbersome. While I am getting ready to register I found the Eddie Bauer Travel Bed at Target (I'm sure it is sold elseware) It folds up into a bag about the size of a large purse and when it is set up has a nice bottom with side walls and a little activity arm over the top. Similar to a bassenet.

Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems like it would be a great option, and the cost is very reasonable - around $30. It sure would solve the space problem.

Thanks Mary

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!! How old will your child be when you travel? I don't think I'd use that bed for a child much older than 4-5 months, but that's just me. I'm about to have our 3rd child and we're scheduled to sail on the Oasis of the Seas next July just after she turns 1. We're not bringing a bed. We'll try the pack n play on board and if that doesn't work, she'll sleep with us.

Your child will have to be at least six months old to cruise, and, just as most babies are too big for a bassinett at that time, seems as if they would also be too big for this bed. If you read the reviews, many people state they would not recommend this for overnight sleeping. It looks pretty flimsy.

IMO, you would be better off with just a Pack-N-Play that you can use for a long time. Traveling with a baby is not equal to traveling light.

We are expecting our first Little One this November. Obviously traveling too much this year is out (boo!!) So my hubby and I are starting to look around for ideas for next year.

I was concerned about taking a cruise with an infant because I thought the Pack N Play or Crib would take up a lot of room and be very cumbersome. While I am getting ready to register I found the Eddie Bauer Travel Bed at Target (I'm sure it is sold elseware) It folds up into a bag about the size of a large purse and when it is set up has a nice bottom with side walls and a little activity arm over the top. Similar to a bassenet.

Thanks Mary

There is no reason to lug a pack n play onboard ship. One is provided if you request it. We did this a tons of times with no issues. You can cruise on Disney at 4 months of age.

Depending on the age of the baby, you can also consider cosleeping with baby in your bed. Particularly if you're breastfeeding, it's great to have baby within reach, and baby tends to sleep better (especially in an unfamiliar environment) with mom and dad nearby. You can google for tips on how to safely cosleep. We've coslept with our little one since he was four months, and it certainly makes it easier to travel with him, since we know where he'll be sleeping and he doesn't need a lot of paraphernalia. If you think about it, the "family bed" has existed for virtually all of human history, and it's really only been in the post-WWII era that the idea of baby having a separate room and sleeping completely separate has cropped up as the "norm."

If you think about it, the "family bed" has existed for virtually all of human history, and it's really only been in the post-WWII era that the idea of baby having a separate room and sleeping completely separate has cropped up as the "norm."

Well I personally love this norm.

We've been traveling with our son since he was 3 months old, he's been on 5 trips. He's 10.5 months old now. We have the GuavaFamily GoCrib and absolutely love and recommend it. It's an inflatable crib that is pack and play size when inflated but it is in it's own backpack when it's not set up. If you plan to travel alot it's totally worth it, you don't have to pay to check it when you fly and your baby will become familiar with it and sleep well when you travel.

2 recommendations for you: 1) turn the sofa around to face the wall and push into the corner. The back of the couch will create a wall to keep baby contained. 2) get some extra blankets from your steward and make a bed on the floor for baby when you need it. When our twins were that young, we would use the floor with blankets when we traveled.

2 recommendations for you: 1) turn the sofa around to face the wall and push into the corner. The back of the couch will create a wall to keep baby contained. 2) get some extra blankets from your steward and make a bed on the floor for baby when you need it. When our twins were that young, we would use the floor with blankets when we traveled.

Why would you put your child on the floor when you are given a pack in play for free? Why would you bring a pack in play onboard when you are given one for free? This whole thread does not even make sense.

Hi there! We just got back from cruising with our 6 month old. We had them set up a pack and play but ended up just having them remove it because our little guy didn't mind sleeping in his carseat the whole time. That gave us the extra room and by covering it, we could make it dark enough for him to go to sleep while we were still up.

Have a great time!

Why would you put your child on the floor when you are given a pack in play for free? Why would you bring a pack in play onboard when you are given one for free? This whole thread does not even make sense.

Because cruise cabins are small by any standard. There is one area of floor space to put that pack-n-play and it's right in the walkway between the bed and the bathroom. Good luck moving around the cabin. Sure, it's doable, but just offering suggestions of alternatives.

Because cruise cabins are small by any standard. There is one area of floor space to put that pack-n-play and it's right in the walkway between the bed and the bathroom. Good luck moving around the cabin. Sure, it's doable, but just offering suggestions of alternatives.

Uh well you only use the pack in play at night and fold it up when not in use..... same thing you would do if you brought one on board.... again..... this thread makes no sense...

My advice is, wait until your child is born and you are closer to your trip. You'll have a much better idea of what works for your baby and your family. I am a big fan of getting the least amount of baby equipment necessary in the beginning......... and waiting to see what you actually need as your baby matures. If you are registering for gifts and want to make sure you have something for travel, you can't go wrong with a Pack 'n Play. You can use it in many situations, including visiting someone's house for a day or weekend. JMHO. But, like other posters have said, the cruise line can provide one so you don't have to carry it with you. Do invest in your own Pack 'n Play sheets, though.

I'm not sure what type of cabin you'll be staying in, but last cruise we had an inside cabin and the pack-n-play fit perfectly between our bed and the wall (we pushed our bed to one side of the wall). We chose to have the pack-n-play left open through out the day just incase we wanted to bring DS back to the room to nap.

In general you can't go wrong with a Pack N Play (or the same sort of play yard - Pack N Play is actually a Graco trademark but every baby gear company makes one). They are probably the most versatile option.

I've read here that some people use a Kidco PeaPod travel cot with an inflatable mattress, but we checked it out and DD moves so much that I wouldn't feel comfortable using it right now. She's an active sleeper and I could see her being upset at being zippered in to that thing.

Our play yard (the Chicco brand, which we love) has a bassinet and a changing table attachment. When we travel without the bassinet and changing table, it is pretty easy and quick to set up and take down. We've taken it to my parents' house for babysitting several times and it's seriously about a 30 second process. The bag isn't that big and the thought of trying to clean a hotel or cruise ship crib doesn't appeal to me.

Our daughter is 10 months old, and she's used to napping in a pack & play at daycare and home so she'll hopefully go to sleep easily at nap and bed time on the ship. For our cruise next week we're driving to the port so I don't see a reason not to bring our own. I feel better knowing that she's safe and in a familiar sleeping environment, rather than trying some travel bed contraption that she's never been in before and that doesn't have to pass any sort of safety testing.

If you use the ship's crib or pack & play, you will likely want to bring your own sheet from home.

Graco also makes a Pack n Play Travel Lite that is smaller than the PNP and really great for travel. I am not sure we will bring this with us when we cruise with our then 10 month old son, but it works great for now and just to have something not quite as big and bulky as the PNP is great. I love the turning the sofa suggestions. We are hoping our son will sleep in grammie's room with her, but if not, I think we will use the sofa or maybe let him bed share with us. I guess only our son will actually determine where he will sleep best. It kind of is a preference and at that young of an age, you kind of have to just go with it. Good luck. The EB travel bed you are thinking of won't work well for you at that age. Too flimsy as others have said. Would be nice for a quick nap or something on the beach, etc, but not for a whole night's sleep. Good luck.

Archived