All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

They have one table, live dealer. Hit or miss, some nights it was active, others not a single player.

Blinds are one two. Not sure about the buy ins, some bought in for 50, some bought in for 200.

It is no limit.

Cool thanks.

Thanks beachbuddy for saying what I wanted to hear!! How kind of you.

What purpose do the lanyards you can rent for? Do they provide Seapass protection/souvenier value/whatever?

And, if I buy the soda package from RCI are my sodas still included at the Cococay bars? Is there anything to drink that is free?

Just want to limit what I bring as much as possible, but - weather permitting - I do plan to be sunning my bones all day!!

Thanks beachbuddy for saying what I wanted to hear!! How kind of you.

What purpose do the lanyards you can rent for? Do they provide Seapass protection/souvenier value/whatever?

The lanyard simply is a rope that goes around your neck with the seapass attached so you do not lose it and have easy access to it.

Question about St. Thomas. Does anyone know if the ship stays on ships time or if it goes to local time? I am booking an excursion and according to them the scheduled excursion time of 1pm to 5pm local will work with our 8-5 time for ship:confused: Any one have any experience? Guess I'll have the same question about St. Maarten:confused:

When are you sailing? It depends when you sail. Right now St. Thomas and St. Maarten are on the same time as the US Eastern Time zone (GMT -4) because we are already moved ahead 1 hour for Daylight Savings Time. When I sailed last February the ship moved clocks ahead 1 hour (after Labadee) to match Caribbean time and then we moved them back on the way home. Bermuda observes daylight savings time (so they are always 1 hour ahead of Eastern Time), but St. Thomas and St. Maarten do NOT so be careful applying answers about Bermuda to your situation.

I think you are ok though as my guess is that if you sail outside daylight savings time (1st Sun in Nov to 2nd Sun in Mar) they move the clocks ahead 1 hour, but if you sail during daylight savings time they probably leave the clocks alone as you are already on the same time.

Hopefully I haven't confused matters here. Email the address in my signature and I can send a link to a helpful website, but I don't think I can post it here.

Thanks,

Greg

Another question... mapquest says its an hour and 30 minutes to Cape Liberty. If we leave at 8:30 and get there at 10. Is that too early?

no...boarding usually starts around 11-11:30...so you can check in, have a seat and be among the 1st on the ship...PLUS mapquest seems to underestimate times..and there is a bit of construction in the area (not sure what way you are coming, so you may or may not encounter this..)

if you get there too early, there is a dunkin donuts and a stop n shop in the shopping center adjacent to the entrance to the pier...that way you can kill a little time if you want, hit the restroom, pick up some snacks, a donut whatever (actually there is a starbucks in the stop n shop too i think...)

when i was up visiting last week, i was instructed to arrive to the gangway at 11...which i did. by 11:15 or so, there were about a dozen new cruisers on the ship.....and lunch started about 11:30 or 11:45.....

no...boarding usually starts around 11-11:30...so you can check in, have a seat and be among the 1st on the ship...PLUS mapquest seems to underestimate times..and there is a bit of construction in the area (not sure what way you are coming, so you may or may not encounter this..)

if you get there too early, there is a dunkin donuts and a stop n shop in the shopping center adjacent to the entrance to the pier...that way you can kill a little time if you want, hit the restroom, pick up some snacks, a donut whatever (actually there is a starbucks in the stop n shop too i think...)

when i was up visiting last week, i was instructed to arrive to the gangway at 11...which i did. by 11:15 or so, there were about a dozen new cruisers on the ship.....and lunch started about 11:30 or 11:45.....

Ok good. We are getting dropped off and leaving my friend's house at 8:30. I really don't mind waiting. I have lots of books and a lot of gossiping to do with my friend lol

I told my mother what time we were planning on leaving and she thinks we'll be turned away at that time. Even in Tampa when we were leaving the terminal at 10:15 there were tons of people arriving for the cruise going out that day. I'd love to be the first on the ship too! My inner child would be doing cartwheels!

i have never seen anyone turned away...(actually there really isn't anyone to TURN people away....:eek:)

the only time we got to the pier late was over a year ago, or more, when the ship was VERY delayed...we were contacted and told to not come to the pier until like 5 PM or something....we wound up getting there around 6...and we sailed as soon as everyone was on the ship...someplace around 10 PM i think....

I figure its better to leave early and be one of the first ones there than to get stuck in traffic or roadwork or any kind of delay. We are coming from Long Island.. even though its a Saturday morning.. traffic is very unpredictable.
The port at Cape Liberty is very "dreary" and if you get there when the traffic hits you can spend an hour (or more) lined up on the access road staring at old warehouses. I would much rather get there early and sit in the lounge sipping coffee and eating cookies, people watching instead.

The port at Cape Liberty is very "dreary" and if you get there when the traffic hits you can spend an hour (or more) lined up on the access road staring at old warehouses. I would much rather get there early and sit in the lounge sipping coffee and eating cookies, people watching instead.

Me too. Theres coffee??? I just may be there at 9am then lol.. thats kinda pushing it.

I remember the last time we got there about 11, 11:15 and there was traffic already and we were waiting in the pretty access road. For a good 15-20 minutes.

Hi guys,

I was just reading a thread about exchanging towels and getting charged if you don't bring them back at the end of the cruise.

In the thread a few people posted that on some ships, they have a table set up at the entrance to the ship to return towels so you don't have to bring it back to the pool deck. They did not mention the Explorer. Does the Explorer have a table set up so when you come back from a beach day you don't have to bring your wet, sandy beach towels to the pool deck?

Seems like all RC ships should do this. I am hoping Explorer does. :D

Thanks,

Loralie

Hi guys,

I was just reading a thread about exchanging towels and getting charged if you don't bring them back at the end of the cruise.

In the thread a few people posted that on some ships, they have a table set up at the entrance to the ship to return towels so you don't have to bring it back to the pool deck. They did not mention the Explorer. Does the Explorer have a table set up so when you come back from a beach day you don't have to bring your wet, sandy beach towels to the pool deck?

Seems like all RC ships should do this. I am hoping Explorer does. :D

Thanks,

Loralie

In June on Ex we had to go to the pool deck to exchange towels while in port. They were also really checking the computer for names/room numbers of who checked out the towels (they didn't just toss them in a bin).

Thanks for those recent menus. We have been twisting and turning trying to decide about a wine package. Your menu posting gave us some insight into the day by day recent wine offerings and pricing from the menu.

This whole alcohol thing on RCL certainly seems clandestine. Now, being from PA our "state store" system seems to work the same way. I am beginning to think they just want to frustrate everyone until they sober up or just say the heck with it and drink themselves under!!!

Still, can't wait to get onboard!!

My DH and I were looking at the menus that were just posted. How is the daily black angus sirloin steak? My DH is a big meat and potatoes eater and he was a little disapointed that the daily steak is a sirloin.

Any steak lovers out there? What do you think? He will buy Chops filet if he HAS to but of course he does not want to have to pay extra.

Thanks,

Loralie

My DH and I were looking at the menus that were just posted. How is the daily black angus sirloin steak? My DH is a big meat and potatoes eater and he was a little disapointed that the daily steak is a sirloin.

Any steak lovers out there? What do you think? He will buy Chops filet if he HAS to but of course he does not want to have to pay extra.

Thanks,

Loralie

it isn't bad...i have had it a couple times...honestly that steak can be hit or miss on any ship, but i don't think i have ever sent it back..(the only thing i ever did send back was chicken a couple years ago....believe it or not it was tougher than shoe leather...and i think it was on Serenade..but i digress..)

The chops filet is awesome...i generally treat myself to it once per cruise...it is REALLY a lot of food, and i am a meatatarian!!

this will be my wife and i first cruise with royal caribbean and to this location. any tips or info would be appreciated.

well what do you want to know??? i've been on the ship 10 times....soon to be 11. Lots of pix below..start with the picasaweb link if you're bored!!

i haven't done the new england cruise yet....so i can't help there but what would you like to know??

You can arrive at the pier around 11....boarding usually starts by 11:30 and lunch in the WIndjammer will open within 30 minutes of that time...(last week on my tour it started probably around 11:30-11:45 and there were maybe a dozen or so guests on the ship by that time..)

The Royal Promenade is a fun place to hang out..great for people watching..and there is a cafe there (cafe promenade)....the food there is free..they will have pastries in the AM, snadwiches and pizza and cookies throughout the day....you can get free coffee, tea and iced tea there (at least it was there last week...) and water...any other bevs, fancy coffees etc will be charged for...

what all would you like to know?? i could go on about Explorer for days!!:o:p

We have used the wine package 2 x and DH enjoyed it. Of course it was more expensive than what you can buy in a store but about the same price as if out!

...true, but if you do your due diligence and look at the analysis elsewhere on CC, people can save a nice chunk of change.....

well what do you want to know??? i've been on the ship 10 times....soon to be 11. Lots of pix below..start with the picasaweb link if you're bored!!

i haven't done the new england cruise yet....so i can't help there but what would you like to know??

You can arrive at the pier around 11....boarding usually starts by 11:30 and lunch in the WIndjammer will open within 30 minutes of that time...(last week on my tour it started probably around 11:30-11:45 and there were maybe a dozen or so guests on the ship by that time..)

The Royal Promenade is a fun place to hang out..great for people watching..and there is a cafe there (cafe promenade)....the food there is free..they will have pastries in the AM, snadwiches and pizza and cookies throughout the day....you can get free coffee, tea and iced tea there (at least it was there last week...) and water...any other bevs, fancy coffees etc will be charged for...

what all would you like to know?? i could go on about Explorer for days!!:o:p

thankyou. excellent photos of eos

We are just off our first Explorer cruise- great ship with a wonderful, wonderful staff! I took a lot of food pics- including the steaks you were discussing! This is the Chops filet-

IMG_4776.jpg

And this was the steak on the menu everyday-

IMG_4380.jpg

That Chops filet was FABULOUS- the other steak was fine- but they are definitely VERY different!! And I have to say- the filet at Portofino was also incredible- not sure which one (of Portofino's or Chops) I preferred- they were just both sooooo delicious!

IMG_4503.jpg