All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I am trying to take advantage of good prices and squeeze in a solo cruise. I am looking at cabins on the port side just aft of studio B. Will this be a quiet location during normal sleeping times. Also, as a woman alone is this an okay location as I imagine it can be pretty deserted in the evenings as there are very few cabins,etc. My other option would be around the Vault and centrum on deck three and I am sure that area gets noisy and rowdy late into the night. Thanks

The Promenade Cafe is open upon embarkation. They only close briefly for the muster drill. It is a less crowded alternative for a quick, light lunch the first day, esp. since many people don't discover it until later that day. Some people never even realize that there is no charge for the food there.

Shhhhh! :)

Now everyone knows the plan! Instead of WJ crowds, inspiration (or thirst) struck and we thought we'd try to get a table at the pub (should have asked if that opens right away too :o) and snag some snacks. Now that I know there's food, DH will be extra-happy camper!

Thanks rncruiser!

good luck to all my fellow EOS cruisers heading out this weekend....god speed to out run the Irene...i will posting on twitter @macfinn live all weekend ...we look to be directly in the path give or take 20 miless....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

good luck to all my fellow EOS cruisers heading out this weekend....god speed to out run the Irene...i will posting on twitter @macfinn live all weekend ...we look to be directly in the path give or take 20 miless....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hope the ship doesn't have a problem getting back to Bayonne. I know someone who is supposed to board her on Sunday for the Bermuda cruise. I hope Irene just disappears!!

I'm supposed to be on the Bermuda cruise leaving Sunday. I am freaking out. This is my first cruise and I have an overwhelming sense of dread about this entire thing. I was already terrified at the thought of being on the boat (I have some very strange motion sickness issues) and now it turns out we might be sailing through (or at minimum around the top of) a friggin hurricane. Not cool. *curls up in the fetal position*

I meant Saturday. The boat leaves Saturday...as long as it gets here in time. What happens if the boat isn't back in time? Does our cruise just get cut short?

As an amateur expert in Cruise ships, and hurricanes (with only previous experience in tropical storms, and only having been on ferries :D), my guess is, that Explorer can outrun the storm. I would not be surprised if we leave a little earlier than 5 though.

If it is late, that puts us in the eye of the storm, so your guess is as good as mine.

Tropical Weather Update

August 25, 2011

10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Irene to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern.

In an abundance of caution, and in order to provide our guests with a safe and comfortable sailing, Explorer of the Seas will depart Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, August 27, at 4:00 p.m. – one hour earlier than originally scheduled. We ask that all guests arrive at the pier no later than 3:00 p.m.

At this time, Royal Caribbean has not altered the itineraries of any ship that departs this Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again today, August 25, at 6:00 p.m. E.S.T.

We are leaving an hour earlier.

The hurricane is moving at 12 mph, and the Explorer can cruise at at 23 knots (26.6 mph), so she can easily pass the storm and head safely out to sea. Leaving NJ early should allow her to head east to Bermuda and miss the worst of the storm. It may be a bit rocky the first night, but the weather in Bermuda should be great.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

I'm supposed to be on the Bermuda cruise leaving Sunday. I am freaking out. This is my first cruise and I have an overwhelming sense of dread about this entire thing. I was already terrified at the thought of being on the boat (I have some very strange motion sickness issues) and now it turns out we might be sailing through (or at minimum around the top of) a frigging hurricane. Not cool. *curls up in the fetal position*

I am wondering how everyone made out that was supposed to be leaving Saturday on the Explorer?

Has anyone heard?

Joel

I am wondering how everyone made out that was supposed to be leaving Saturday on the Explorer?

Has anyone heard?

Joel

Yes, someone I know posted on FB because she heard from friends on the ship..........they did depart, but bumpy ride.

Bumpy ride indeed. We hit a few 40 foot waves and the rest were at least 20 feet high. We ended up moving to Deck 2 the first night and when we looked out the window all we saw sometimes was a wall of water.

I knew that we were going to be in Hurricane Irene's path but no one told us about Jose! It definitely explains why we were still rocking to and fro way into the evening of Day 2 when I expected things to settle down.

We will be sailing on EOS in Jan 2012, was wondering where is recommended to watch the NFL championship game. In the past we have been on ships where they have the movies under the stars, but was hoping they would be playing this somewhere other than our rooms. Has anyone encountered the games on the EOS? Thanks :rolleyes:

I will be on the Explorer on 4/12/12 with my DH and our 2 teen boys. The boys have a few questions.

1- do they have brownies for free?

2- do they have cupcakes for free or for a fee? (I know they do not have the cupcake store on EOS)

3- when you watch a movie in the screening room, do they have popcorn & snacks or drinks to eat during the movie?

TIA,

loralie

We will be sailing on EOS in Jan 2012, was wondering where is recommended to watch the NFL championship game. In the past we have been on ships where they have the movies under the stars, but was hoping they would be playing this somewhere other than our rooms. Has anyone encountered the games on the EOS? Thanks :rolleyes:

they will probably show it in the sports bar (weekend warrior..) , possibly on TVs in guest rooms..and MAYBE in the theatre but i am not sure about that...i know on =X= Summit for the Superbowl they had a HUGE party...lots of fun....(not that it pertains to your question....but it was fun!)