All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I know this was posted a while back' date=' but I read on here that at the end of 2012, Explorer is moving south. Is this confirmed and ifso, where and what ship is moving to Bayonne? Thanks for the help and apologies for not remembering the answer to these questions from earlier.[/quote']

The Explorer will be here until April 2013. What happens after April no one knows at this time.

The ships that sail out of Cape Liberty are always full or very close to full...even if they rearrange the ships, I would venture a guess that they'll leave something in New Jersey....

And...the Freedom class ships WILL fit under the Verazzano Bridge....as they're the same height as the Voyager class....(in fact 2 of them were at Cape Lib on their way to Fla....) The Oasis class is too big...but maybe the newies will fit.

Can someone tell me if there is a fee for Ben & Jerry's and the coffee shop located on the Promenade. We sailed EOS two years ago, and I don't recall having to pay for either. However, it seems I've read that there is a charge for both B&J and the coffee shop (Seattle's Best??) on the Promenade.

Thanks!

Guest maddycat
Can someone tell me if there is a fee for Ben & Jerry's and the coffee shop located on the Promenade. We sailed EOS two years ago, and I don't recall having to pay for either. However, it seems I've read that there is a charge for both B&J and the coffee shop (Seattle's Best??) on the Promenade.

Thanks!

Regular coffee, tea and hot chocolate are free in the Promenade Cafe. You only have to pay for specialty coffees. Cookies, cakes, fruit, pizza, and sandwiches are also free. The cafe is open 24/7. There is a charge for Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

Edited by maddycat

Fees to both but Free cookies at Seattle Best

There's no fee for regular Seattle Best coffee.......it's free in the Promenade Cafe and it's available pretty much 24 hrs/day - tea and hot chocolate is free as well. There's only a fee for specialty coffees, latte's, cappacino, etc.

Patty

Actually the Oasis class ships do fit. If I recall correctly, they brought at least Oasis through NY for a big welcome to the States party before heading down south that was covered on the NYC area local news outlets. They just have to leave and arrive with the lowest tide and have less clearance than the Voyager class ships. I got to see when FOS was in Bayonne for its sample overnight cruise when it first came to the states before my first cruise on Explorer.

Looking forward to being on EOS December 1st. It can't get here soon enough!

We will be back on the Explorer in a couple of weeks, and understand that the ship is in great shape. We are doing the last of the Fall Colors up the New England coast and Canada.

Can anyone tell me approximately how far the dock is from EWR?

Thanks,:)

Rick

Guest maddycat
We will be back on the Explorer in a couple of weeks, and understand that the ship is in great shape. We are doing the last of the Fall Colors up the New England coast and Canada.

Can anyone tell me approximately how far the dock is from EWR?

Thanks,:)

Rick

The cruise port is about 10 miles from EWR. It's about a 20 min. cab ride.

The cruise port is about 10 miles from EWR. It's about a 20 min. cab ride.

correct...it just SEEMS like an eternity!! all that excitement waiting to get on the ship.

Actually over the weekend, i went from EWR to the exit for the pier (i was going elsewhere) in about 10 minutes...for some ODD reason there was no traffic!!

Jan 2012 will be our first time on the EOS, so excited. Had a question, does anyone know if EOS prepares a lunch that you can take with you on a day in port. I have read that some other cruise lines will prepare bag lunches, of the sort, for you to carry off, if you so desire. Just wondering??? :confused: Thanks!!

No, due to agricultural restrictions in the various ports, you cannot remove food from the ship (except for prepackaged things like granola bars, cereal boxes etc.). Some ports are very stringent about this to the point of searching bags as people get of the ship. Several times I've seen a huge trashcan full of perfectly good food. You could also be subjecting yourself to a fine if you're caught:(