All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I just got off the explorer 4-21-12 and I brought a case of Poland spring water and a 12 pack of diet coke. I did not put it in a bag and just put a luggage tag on them and they were delivered to my room without a problem. I did not mind having glasses of water in the dining room or the windjammer but I tried just filling a glass from the bathroom sink and thought it tasted a little different. I also liked bringing bottles of water with me when I went to the gym or to the beach in the ports. My dh had the soda package but liked the convience of having a few cans of soda in the room.

Loralie

Water onboard is filtered and treated to the point of being more pure than most municipal water. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about bringing waater aboard or the Brita system. We do however, bring insulated glasses/mugs for our cold and hot beverages as it is more convient and larger capacity than the glasses/cups on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes and we drink it there. The bottled is for port and just walking around the ship. Thanks!!

I just got off the explorer 4-21-12 and I brought a case of Poland spring water and a 12 pack of diet coke. I did not put it in a bag and just put a luggage tag on them and they were delivered to my room without a problem. I did not mind having glasses of water in the dining room or the windjammer but I tried just filling a glass from the bathroom sink and thought it tasted a little different. I also liked bringing bottles of water with me when I went to the gym or to the beach in the ports. My dh had the soda package but liked the convience of having a few cans of soda in the room.

Loralie

Thanks! I agree on the difference in taste. Supposedly same water but somehow different. Thanks for the info on bringing water aboard. We did it like that on Princess but wasn't sure with RC! And glad to hear on EOS ok. We will be on board in sept

Went on the explorer on the seventh, and in regards to the smell, we could only smell it twice, one night on the basketball courts, and then one other time on deck seven. Although it did smell, it wasn't like horrific, it didn't make you puke, it was just there. They did mange to get rid of it extremely fast though.

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but which is the main deck and does it have and outside deck around the ship? I have only been onn GOS with RC and of course it did. All the Princees cruises it was deck 7 but it seems EOS starts balcony cabns on deck 6 so I was wondering. Thanks in advancw. ( I don't have a computer to access the deck plans!)

I'd consider the main deck to be deck 5 which is where the royal promenade is. Deck 4 has the outside deck around the ship - you can't go all the way around. In the forward area there are steps up to the helicopter pad. This area is not always open.

There are a handful of lounge chairs at the front of the pool deck which are roped off for suite guests. It is on the main pool deck--it is just reserved for suite guests. I don't believe there are any extra amenities in there--with the exception of reserved chairs (which is nice). It is, however, right next to the bar! :)

It is on the teired section to the right just below the pool bar. Each lounge chair is supplied with 2 towels. There is a attendant there to make sure you're taken care of, and watch over your things. He will also get you drinks from the bar. (for a charge)

I have always liked the solarium in the past, but recently that area has become crowded as well, not to mention chair hogs.

Water onboard is filtered and treated to the point of being more pure than most municipal water. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about bringing waater aboard or the Brita system. We do however, bring insulated glasses/mugs for our cold and hot beverages as it is more convient and larger capacity than the glasses/cups on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

That may be true in a perfect world, on a newer ship....but on a older ship all equipment is less than new.

One year I filled a glass in our stateroom, held it up to the light......it was anything but clear.....had a faint odor also.

Not to mention all the posts I have been reading about Explorers plumbing problems.

Edited by B-52

Has anyone ever e-mailed the Concierge on the Explorer?

Specifically, we would like to request to reserve a cabana at barefoot beach.

Our cruise is coming up soon, and I will e-mail him. Just not sure how many days out I should wait to make our request.

Thanks

Enjoy your cruise.

This is absolutely not true.

Next time your on the ship fill the bathroom sink up to the top and you will notice that the water is definitely not crystal clear. There may not be any bacteria in the water but it is not as pure as people seem to think or keep posting on this site.

This is absolutely not true.

Next time your on the ship fill the bathroom sink up to the top and you will notice that the water is definitely not crystal clear. There may not be any bacteria in the water but it is not as pure as people seem to think or keep posting on this site.

Absolutely not true is correct. Do you know how many chemicals they put in holding tanks just to keep the water safe...never mind free of stink and stuff!

Nope, RCCL says I can't bring my own water but they haven't told me I can't bring my Britta! (For what good it will do...I hope)

i can not remember, but , are the pools salt or fresh water? my dw said she thinks that they are salt water?

also does anybody know what side of the ship,port or starboard, that we dock at king's wharf?

also are the pools and hot tubs open as soon as you board, our plan is food-cabin-drink-hot tub-muster drill-more drink-food-hot tub-cabin --repeat next day... :D

i can not remember, but , are the pools salt or fresh water? my dw said she thinks that they are salt water?

also does anybody know what side of the ship,port or starboard, that we dock at king's wharf?

also are the pools and hot tubs open as soon as you board, our plan is food-cabin-drink-hot tub-muster drill-more drink-food-hot tub-cabin --repeat next day... :D

salt

it depends....

and yes......some of them will be open......

Has anyone ever e-mailed the Concierge on the Explorer?

Specifically, we would like to request to reserve a cabana at barefoot beach.

Our cruise is coming up soon, and I will e-mail him. Just not sure how many days out I should wait to make our request.

Thanks

a couple weeks...he will get back to you but it may take some time...he'll usually respond in order of voyages...

I'd consider the main deck to be deck 5 which is where the royal promenade is. Deck 4 has the outside deck around the ship - you can't go all the way around. In the forward area there are steps up to the helicopter pad. This area is not always open.

Thanks. Kind of figured it had to be lower than balcony rooms.

Anyone sailed in the stern Junior Suites on Deck 6? I was looking at other cruises and saw that a few are open and I'm considering changing from my Mid Ship ( just forward of the hump) JS on deck 9 to one of the aft facing JS on deck 6.

Any suggestions?

Edited by hazmat1

With regards to show reservations, the ice shows can't be reserved a head of time, it's a first come first served ticket distribution, usually held at 730pm the day before the first show. With regards to excursions, your best bet is to do your research on the ports of call board/forum on cruise critic for the individual ports that your sailing will be visiting. Follow the advice of other posters, check out websites for those excursions that look appealing to you and book independently. You will save money 90% of the time by booking a tour on your own instead of through the ship. Why travel with 50-60 people on a bus and pay 65 dollars for a tour, when you can travel with 10-15 in a van and pay 40?

Feel lucky, you know about Cruise Critic before your first cruise, only a small percentage of people were lucky enough to be in the same situation that you are now in. :)

Thanks! I'll look into it. We are pretty laid back people, but one thing my wife wants to do is a dolphin experience.

Thanks! I'll look into it. We are pretty laid back people, but one thing my wife wants to do is a dolphin experience.

Most, but not all of the Dolphin experience places have exclusivity contracts with the cruiselines. Pick an excursion that gives you the most time in the water with the dolphins. There are usually 3 or 4 different levels or choices, starting from a basic encounter where you are in shallow water and you get to just pet the dolphins, all of the up to a trainer for a day, where you get the full experience. If the cruise you are choosing has 4 options, the second most expensive one usually offers the most bang for the buck without it being too expensive.

How are the prices for cigarettes and liquor on the ship....you can get cigarettes immediately and the hold the liquor for the end of the trip ..is that right?

yes you get ciggarettes immediately 2 cartons for 52 dollars, booze is cheap yes they hold it till the end

Hi Everyone, We booked GS 1568 on EOS. Ok, just a few questions.

1. Can I bring food back to my cabin from the Concierge lounge in the am?

2. Are there any surprises waiting in my room from the concierge? IE Bottle of Wine :rolleyes:

3. DO they offer soda or even water in our room?

This will be our first cruise. Plus traveling with small kids so we have no plans on going into the concierge unless the kids are at AO.

Absolutely not true is correct. Do you know how many chemicals they put in holding tanks just to keep the water safe...never mind free of stink and stuff!

Nope, RCCL says I can't bring my own water but they haven't told me I can't bring my Britta! (For what good it will do...I hope)

You can buy water in the ports and bring water on board or buy ship's bottled water.

MARAPRINCE

Hi Everyone, We booked GS 1568 on EOS. Ok, just a few questions.

1. Can I bring food back to my cabin from the Concierge lounge in the am?

usually yes, but it's supposed to be consumed in the lounge..really depends on when you go and what they say

2. Are there any surprises waiting in my room from the concierge? IE Bottle of Wine :rolleyes:

you're kidding right??:D

not unless you pay for it...

3. DO they offer soda or even water in our room?

not unless you pay for it...there will be water there, i think i had bottled water when we had a GS, but i forget..

This will be our first cruise. Plus traveling with small kids so we have no plans on going into the concierge unless the kids are at AO.

enjoy your first cruise...and please note the grinning face above...not trying to be mean!!!:p

i love EX...11 cruises on that ship alone..

the CL will be available to you for beverages...though they don't have bottled water in there...just "tappian" IIRC

you're paying to use the lounge essentially by booking a full suite, so you may as well drop the kids at A/O if available and go for a beverage, even a soda (you can take them with you, but you did say that you'd only go w/o the kids..)

hope that helps...enjoy......

see above....