Taste of Europe Marina 8/10/11

anniebroun

Annie, check the roll call for the cruise. There are almost 50 of us on it. DH and I are not big on organized tours. The only one we are taking is the ship's tour in Casablance. Honfleur is easy to do on your own. Look the ports up on the internet--there is a wealth of info. Pat

Welcome to CC, anniebroun.

As pacmom suggests the Roll Call for your cruise is a good place to join privately arranged tours and connect with other CC members on that specific cruise. The Roll Calls are in a section of their own in the CC Boards.

CC Boards also has a section for Ports of Call. In there you'll find a lot of good port specific information from CC members regardless of cruise line.

14 port days sounds terrific, and tiring. Strolling through some of the cities sounds like a good thing to do. Enjoy your cruise!

Need some advise. Don't want to do 14 days of excursions. are some of the ports easy to do on your own and stroll through some cities at your own pace.

Thanks, Annie

As was noted, come on over to the Roll Call...Many of us have been planning for each port of this cruise for over a year...

GO HERE:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29328384#post29328384

In general, almost any port can be done in a variety of ways: A private tour, a shore excursion or "on your own"...A lot depends on just how much YOU want to do and see...

Obviously, in some ports, the ship docks close to the most desired sights, in other ports, not so close...

For us, we are doing a number of private small group tours, a few excursions and some ports on our own...

The ones we are doing on our own are:

--Honfleur (but we are staying in Honfleur...If you wanted to visit the D-Day beaches or Rouen/Giverny, then a tour of some sort would be in order)...

--Pont-Aven (I understand the old walled city and other attractions are near where the ship docks)

--Bilbao (We plan on using the HOHO bus)

--Barcelona (We know the town well, so walking and taxis for us)

We don't know what we are doing in Biarritz--none of the offered excursions appealed to us, so we're likely figuring it out when we get there...

Other ports, we wanted to go to some places far from the dock or where we just felt a tour was appropriate...but, I suppose if only wanted to spejnd time in Monte Carlo, that one could easily be seen on your own...I imagine Oporto as well (but I've never been so don't know for sure)...

For Cadiz, most want to go to Seville--which is some distance away...In Livorno, most want to go to Florence or Pisa or Lucca or San Gimignano...all a fair distance from the ship...

For Bordeaux, we dock in Le Verdon which is a fair distance from Bordeaux itself and wineries are spread throughout the region...

But, again, come over to the Roll Call and you will be able to read about what most others are doing in each port...

As was noted, come on over to the Roll Call...Many of us have been planning for each port of this cruise for over a year...

GO HERE:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29328384#post29328384

In general, almost any port can be done in a variety of ways: A private tour, a shore excursion or "on your own"...A lot depends on just how much YOU want to do and see...

Obviously, in some ports, the ship docks close to the most desired sights, in other ports, not so close...

For us, we are doing a number of private small group tours, a few excursions and some ports on our own...

The ones we are doing on our own are:

--Honfleur (but we are staying in Honfleur...If you wanted to visit the D-Day beaches or Rouen/Giverny, then a tour of some sort would be in order)...

--Pont-Aven (I understand the old walled city and other attractions are near where the ship docks)

--Bilbao (We plan on using the HOHO bus)

--Barcelona (We know the town well, so walking and taxis for us)

We don't know what we are doing in Biarritz--none of the offered excursions appealed to us, so we're likely figuring it out when we get there...

Other ports, we wanted to go to some places far from the dock or where we just felt a tour was appropriate...but, I suppose if only wanted to spejnd time in Monte Carlo, that one could easily be seen on your own...I imagine Oporto as well (but I've never been so don't know for sure)...

For Cadiz, most want to go to Seville--which is some distance away...In Livorno, most want to go to Florence or Pisa or Lucca or San Gimignano...all a fair distance from the ship...

For Bordeaux, we dock in Le Verdon which is a fair distance from Bordeaux itself and wineries are spread throughout the region...

But, again, come over to the Roll Call and you will be able to read about what most others are doing in each port...

We were in Monte Carlo last year and walked to a local bus stop where we picked up the bus to Eze for one or two euro. Eze is a beautiful walled city up in the mountains. Some others on our ship did the same thing but after touring Eze, they took the local bus over to Nice.

In Oporto, we used the HOHO bus. It takes you around to all the sites and to the promenade along the Atlantic Ocean.

In Livorno, we took the train to Florence.

Archived