Just "lost" an upgrade and I am NOT happy!

Smartcookie

California teachers make $60-80 an hour for a 185 day year. Plus very generous retirement, health care benefits and paid days off. Seems only fair they get a cruise discount too. :confused:

California teachers don't make half that.

All right, I can't stand it anymore. A friend of mine is a CA high school teacher who has about 20 years employment. He makes $82,000 a year for working 185 days a year. Plus he gets incredible benefits. Me? I have the same college degree, have been at my job for 34 years, work 310 days a year, take a one week vacation every other year, and have to pay my own health care (for family of four) at the tune of $1200 per month, and make about $58,000 per year. I work in retail selling sought after musical instruments as well as administrating a school of music education (hey, maybe I qualify for the HAL discount!) and have to deal daily with a multitude of the public who feel entitled to a discount of my products just because -- teachers want a discount, preachers want a discount, students want a discount, policeman want a discount, fireman want a discount, and on and on it goes? So, who's left to pay my already discounted prices? No one.

I may be in the minority and will probably get flamed, but I don't think a teacher discount is warranted by HAL or any other cruise line. I don't get my vacations subsidized, why should they?

Since I'm not a teacher I'm not going to worry whether HAL gives a teachers' discount or not. It doesn't affect me since I don't qualify. As for your business, just tell those asking for a discount that all your products are discounted for everyone. I'm not sure why you are so exorcized about this.

Since I'm not a teacher I'm not going to worry whether HAL gives a teachers' discount or not. It doesn't affect me since I don't qualify. As for your business, just tell those asking for a discount that all your products are discounted for everyone. I'm not sure why you are so exorcized about this.

I believe He/she is referring to the fact all these public servants receive (or want) a discount on HAL cruises, which adds to the cost of his/her cruise, as they must make up for the loss in discounted fares by raising the price to others.

I don t want to upset you but you get what you paid for . That is my philosophy in life so i never get disappointed !!!!!!!! If I want to fly first class I buy first class, the same goes for hotels and cruise lines . My experience is that people are never happy , they want the cheapest price and want an upgrade for nothing . WHY ????? Do you go to your car dealership and say sorry I can only afford a mini but actually i want that Rolls Royce !!!!!! Same thing , sorry had to say this , enjoy your cruise !!!!

Some can exude that "ugly American" behavior even when they aren't traveling.

Sadly, true.

Ain't America wonderful? :rolleyes:

I'm not a jingoist, but ... yes ... even with all our problems and our faults, our failures and our shortcoming ... I love the United States of America.

I don t want to upset you but you get what you paid for . That is my philosophy in life so i never get disappointed !!!!!!!! If I want to fly first class I buy first class, the same goes for hotels and cruise lines . My experience is that people are never happy , they want the cheapest price and want an upgrade for nothing . WHY ????? Do you go to your car dealership and say sorry I can only afford a mini but actually i want that Rolls Royce !!!!!! Same thing , sorry had to say this , enjoy your cruise !!!!

Try reading the entire thread:rolleyes:

Maxout wrote:

I believe He/she is referring to the fact all these public servants receive (or want) a discount on HAL cruises, which adds to the cost of his/her cruise, as they must make up for the loss in discounted fares by raising the price to others.
Thank you! My point exactly.

Archived