Just "lost" an upgrade and I am NOT happy!

Smartcookie

When I originally booked my cruise on the Veendam tomorrow I made it clear that I would be interested in a larger cabin should one become available - in fact, every time I spoke with guest relations/CS I asked "It's noted on my reservation that I want a larger cabin, right?" Every time I was told "Yes".

Long story short, after having the price of our cabin INCREASED by $200 after final payment and subsequent discussions with HAL about this (they finally offered a $75 cabin credit to make up for it, but we still paid more), and going back and forth with customer service by email, I got a phone call from HAL last night leaving a message on my phone offering us a larger cabin (inside to outside) and telling me to call back if I wanted it - I had 2 hours to call back before she left for the weekend.

Well, I don't get cell service at home so I didn't get the message until this AM. When I called back I got her voice mail (she's gone for the weekend) then I called the 800 number and I was first told "Sorry, guest relations is closed, nothing we can do, talk to guest relations at the pier"...then I asked to speak to a supervisor who then called ship inventory and after 40 minutes on hold was finally told "Sorry, there are no cabins left, you didn't call back right away so they assigned it to someone else". Oh and, here's the kicker "There is no notation on your reservation of you wanting an upgrade". Oh really? Not once in the umpteen times that I asked did anyone ever write it on my booking? After they told me they would? Interesting.

I was literally speechless. They have my home phone number on my booking, so why didn't they call my home phone if it was so urgent that I claim my cabin immediately? Because no one could be bothered.

It's almost worst knowing that I could have gotten the larger cabin if I had gotten the message. I don't know how much more clearly I could have made it to HAL that I wanted a larger cabin... :mad::mad::mad:

Up sells are first come first served. They may have 10 cabins available for upsells and they send out e-mails and do phone calls to fill those cabins. Sorry that you were not able to respond in time but once filled they can go home for the day. If they don't sell then they are available for complementary upgrades.

Don't feel too bad, we have cruised with HAL for over 25 years and for the first 20 years we never got an upgrade. Just enjoy the cruise and have a good time.

It's almost worst knowing that I could have gotten the larger cabin if I had gotten the message. I don't know how much more clearly I could have made it to HAL that I wanted a larger cabin... :mad::mad::mad:

Moral of this story...When you want a larger cabin, book a larger cabin!

Yes -- you have only so much time to respond to an offer -- sorry you weren't home when the call came in -- but they do not have the time to wait for your answer. They have along list they can go through to offer upsells -- first come -- first served.

If you wanted the larger cabin -- you should have booked it.

"Larger cabin" can be construed as square footage. "Upgrade" refers to a higher category. When booking we are usually asked whether we would accept an upgrade. If location matters to me on a particular cruise I decline.

Don't be too disappointed since not all upgrades land you in an ideal spot. You could be moved to the extreme fore or aft, or even worse, under the part of the kitchen that gets busy at 4 a.m.

Hi Smartcookie,

Sorry you weren't able to get the upgrade and the phone call. Sucks.

Things always happen for a reason IMHO. Maybe the A/C in the cabin you would have gotten won't work and yours will. Who knows.

As one Nutmeger to another, I'd like to have your impression of the curise and Bermuda when you return.

I'll be on the Aug. 7 Veendam.

Hope you have a wonderful trip anyhow.

Tom in Branford

outsides are not much bigger than insides (unless you have a 'standard' as opposed to 'large' inside.)

the main difference is in the bathroom where you will have a tub instead of a shower. otherwise it is nearly identical square-footage.

They have my home phone number on my booking, so why didn't they call my home phone if it was so urgent that I claim my cabin immediately?

For next time...You can change your cell's voicemail number to your home phone and never miss another cell call. (this is also called 'call forwarding')

Sorry you missed the call and cabin but it happens all the time.

They offer; you accept immediately or within their terms and they move onto the next person. They have to get the cabin assignments finalized.

Disappointing and sorry it happened to you but certainly not the first (nor last) time we've read similiar here on this board.

Hope you have a great cruise, anyway. Don't board 'angry'. Will only ruin your cruise.

I'm sorry you missed out on the upgrade. I also think things happen for a reason, so maybe it just was not meant to be.

I know you probably at this moment feel otherwise however.

Don't let it spoil your cruise, I am sure you will have a wonderful time, at least you are onboard, that has to be good! :D

Sam :)

Long story short, after having the price of our cabin INCREASED by $200 after final payment and subsequent discussions with HAL about this (they finally offered a $75 cabin credit to make up for it, but we still paid more),... :mad::mad::mad:

This is the sentence that jumped out at me. If the price goes up after final payment (or any time after you've booked) you don't pay the higher price. What am I missing here? :confused:

Agree, asking for a "larger cabin" is not the same as expecting an upgrade. Yes, one does need to pay for what one wants and then merely say thank you if there is any possible improvement over the original contract expectations. Was there a fuel surcharge added later for the additional cost?

This is the sentence that jumped out at me. If the price goes up after final payment (or any time after you've booked) you don't pay the higher price. What am I missing here? :confused:

You're not missing anything ... wondered about that sentence myself.

Long story short, after having the price of our cabin INCREASED by $200 after final payment and subsequent discussions with HAL about this (they finally offered a $75 cabin credit to make up for it, but we still paid more),

I don't understand that. How do you pay more for a cabin after final payment?

You would think....but then I read the fine print and they can increase the price until the day of sailing. Yeah I know, it's a really rotten policy and I can't believe they can get away with it but they can - although they did say we could get our deposit back if we didn't want to pay more. :rolleyes:

To those who offered support, thanks, I know all about booking the cabin you want, but my mom booked this cruise as a gift to her "girls" and she's on a budget and wouldn't hear of us paying more to upgrade, so when I book a cruise for myself I DO book the cabin I want.

Still disappointing and to whomever suggested call forwarding - good advice, I learned my lesson.

Tom, I'll definitely let you know how it goes, I know the first sailing was a little rough, hopefully they worked out the kinks! :)

You would think....but then I read the fine print and they can increase the price until the day of sailing. Yeah I know, it's a really rotten policy and I can't believe they can get away with it but they can - although they did say we could get our deposit back if we didn't want to pay more. :rolleyes:

:)

Are you talking about an increase in a port fee?

To those who offered support, thanks, I know all about booking the cabin you want, but my mom booked this cruise as a gift to her "girls" and she's on a budget and wouldn't hear of us paying more to upgrade, so when I book a cruise for myself I DO book the cabin I want.

Still disappointing and to whomever suggested call forwarding - good advice, I learned my lesson.

Tom, I'll definitely let you know how it goes, I know the first sailing was a little rough, hopefully they worked out the kinks! :)

We'll be on the same sailing. Looking forward to a great time.:) Don't let the cabin issue spoil it. We have three cabins booked for our group, two are insides. I was thinking about booking the ocean view but as Ruth C pointed out, the bathrooms seem more spacious on the insides. This is because there is only the shower whereas the oceanview has the bathtub leaving room in the insides for a larger vanity where the bathtub would be. There's always an upside! Not sure I understand about the increase you experienced. Sometimes the port taxes increase on sailings and so the fare is increased and there's nothing can be done about that.

Diane

I don't understand that. How do you pay more for a cabin after final payment?

Okay, just to be clear, when I booked, they asked if I wanted the credit card I used for the initial deposit to be charged AUTOMATICALLY when final payment was due, I said yes, definitely do that - yet another mistake - they didn't automatically charge the card on file and I received an email that my balance was due the previous day one day after final payment was due, so when I called to apply final payment and to ask why the CC wasn't automatically debited, they informed me that the price of the cruise had increased and that my balance was $200 more than the amount listed on my original booking confirmation indicated.

This is why I had so much email and phone contact back and forth with them, because so far their customer service from my perspective has been abysmal. This was a chance for them to make-up for all the problems we've had but there is just no follow-through. :(

We'll be on the same sailing. Looking forward to a great time.:) Don't let the cabin issue spoil it. We have three cabins booked for our group, two are insides. I was thinking about booking the ocean view but as Ruth C pointed out, the bathrooms seem more spacious on the insides. This is because there is only the shower whereas the oceanview has the bathtub leaving room in the insides for a larger vanity where the bathtub would be. There's always an upside! Not sure I understand about the increase you experienced. Sometimes the port taxes increase on sailings and so the fare is increased and there's nothing can be done about that.

Diane

Hi Diane, I won't let it spoil my trip...in fact, this reminds me, I've got to head on over to roll call to sign up for the get-together, this is a girls trip, my mom, sister and little niece - in a quad! LOL - I may be getting ready for dinner in the Spa. :D

We've seen the price on our cabin go up after we booked any number of times. The price has gone up before we made final payment and the only time we paid anything more than the amount at which we booked was an increase in port fees. We have also gotten a credit (small) when fees went down.

By your missing final payment date (by their error or yours), they then raised the price of your cruise? :confused: Maybe others understand but I'm not getting it.

Did they, in effect, cancel your cruise for missing final payment and then rebook you when you called? :confused:

Okay, just to be clear, when I booked, they asked if I wanted the credit card I used for the initial deposit to be charged AUTOMATICALLY when final payment was due, I said yes, definitely do that - yet another mistake - they didn't automatically charge the card on file and I received an email that my balance was due the previous day one day after final payment was due, so when I called to apply final payment and to ask why the CC wasn't automatically debited, they informed me that the price of the cruise had increased and that my balance was $200 more than the amount listed on my original booking confirmation indicated.

This is why I had so much email and phone contact back and forth with them, because so far their customer service from my perspective has been abysmal. This was a chance for them to make-up for all the problems we've had but there is just no follow-through. :(

That is definitely a shame. I had a good PCC at HAL but switched to another travel agent local here in Huntersville, NC (from a major travel agency) when I was offered some OBC for transferring a booking. I have to say that she has earned my business! I was stranded at the airport with a broken plane and faced missing my cruise out of Rome. I called Susanne and she found me a flight that would get me there on time even though it meant flying through Germany. If it wasn't for her I would not have made it on the cruise.

diane

Are you talking about an increase in a port fee?

No, I booked through the teachers rate because I'm a substitute teacher and when I asked, I was told that substitute teachers qualify so long as they have a letter from the school district stating that they're employed by the school.

I got the letter signed by the director of H.R. of the school district where I sub, faxed it to them then I was told that no, substitute teachers do NOT qualify for the teachers discount.

I wish they would inform the people who take reservations and booking deposits of that. The increase in price was the increase over the teachers discount that they refused to honor after initially telling me that I qualified for it. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Smartcookie. If you don't want to post, you can reach me via email HERE

Archived