Just "lost" an upgrade and I am NOT happy!

Smartcookie

In any case, it is always a good idea to check and make sure your final payment was really made and applied to your account rather than just assuming it was done.

Several times there have been stories where people made the final payment to their travel agent, but the travel agent didn't pay the cruise line!

Ahhh, Now it's clear why your price increased. You didn't meet the terms of the professional discount.

Thanks.

What is also interesting to me is that we have used the same PCC at HAL for years and have booked a ton of cruises with him. We always use the same credit card and he know it. It carries certain benefits.

Each time I make final payment, I have to give him the credit card number again as he says he does not store it in the system. It is my understanding he does not keep the card number available for him to view for future use. Without exception, each time I authorize final payment, I provide the credit card number.

I think a TA is allowed to keep a credit card number on file to re-use it from deposit to final payment for a particular booking. After that, they can't store your number. At least that's the policy of the agency I use. And they are not allowed to store the 3- or 4-digit security number at all.

I used HAL's automatic payment only once. My TA was going to be moving around that time, so we both thought it would be a good idea. HAL forgot. Fortunately, I knew when the final charge was supposed to go though. I checked my credit card balance on line and when I didn't see the HAL charge I got in touch with my TA, who put the charge through for me.

Not going to use HAL's "auto" charge again. My TA usually does the final payment a few days early, just in case somebody at HAL messes up.

=3rdGenCunarder;29333647]I think a TA is allowed to keep a credit card number on file to re-use it from deposit to final payment for

<snip>

Speaking only for myself.......

I don't use a TA. We use a PCC at HAL.

SmartCookie, I hope you have a smooth sail and a glorious time. Once you're on the ship with your mom & niece, the joy of cruising with them should probably ease any frustration you're feeling now.

Teachers' discount? How much? I signed a contract March 1st with one of the local school systems and have the new contract sitting in front of me now for next year. All I have to do is sign my name.

Not to take away from SmartCookie's thread, but can I ask for the discount on the two cruises we have booked for December and next July. We've already put down deposits; however I knew nothing about teacher discounts.

The biggest problem here is that HAL called a cell phone instead of the home phone. I have avoided this by generally only giving my home number. I have found that whenever I give both numbers, people always call the cell phone which I only turn it on when I'm out and don't normally check otherwise. Of course, it would have been great if they tried both numbers.

Professional discounts: It makes sense that teacher discounts don't include substitutes. Sub one or a few days or occasionally and get a cruise discount. Nope, that doesn't make sense.

Final payment - Final payment date and penalty dates are clearly stated on the confirmations. We always get a letter from our PCC reminding us and stating that final payment is due the last business day before the final payment penalty date.

Credit card - We have always had to give our credit card information when making final payment. We have some non-cruise credit card automatic payments and renewals and are always still informed of these.

Thanks to all the well-wishers - I'm on my way out the door but I had to respond to this post (and will respond to others once I return).

I have been a substitute teacher for 10 years, 2 of those years as a long-term sub with all the responsibilities of a permanent teacher but none of the benefits or salary - until very recently I have subbed 2 or 3 days EVERY WEEK, so in my not so humble opinion, I think substitutes deserve the discount even more than permanent teachers. ;)

A HAL representative misinformed me, period.

HAL neglected to charge my CC automatically after informing me that they would, period.

HAL raised the price of my cruise after they neglected to put the final payment through on my card as they promised and yes they CAN raise the price of the cruise at any time for any reason - read your brochure or call and ask if you doubt me.

I was told by a HAL representative that they would try to move us to a larger cabin, and I foolishly thought they would make more of an effort than leaving a VM on my cell then essentially telling me too bad, you snooze you lose.

This post was just a vent, that's all, nothing more and nothing less.

Now I'm off to enjoy my cruise and crossing my fingers for smooth sailing. :D

Thanks to all the well-wishers - I'm on my way out the door but I had to respond to this post (and will respond to others once I return).

I have been a substitute teacher for 10 years, 2 of those years as a long-term sub with all the responsibilities of a permanent teacher but none of the benefits or salary - until very recently I have subbed 2 or 3 days EVERY WEEK, so in my not so humble opinion, I think substitutes deserve the discount even more than permanent teachers. ;)

A HAL representative misinformed me, period.

HAL neglected to charge my CC automatically after informing me that they would, period.

HAL raised the price of my cruise after they neglected to put the final payment through on my card as they promised and yes they CAN raise the price of the cruise at any time for any reason - read your brochure or call and ask if you doubt me.

I was told by a HAL representative that they would try to move us to a larger cabin, and I foolishly thought they would make more of an effort than leaving a VM on my cell then essentially telling me too bad, you snooze you lose.

This post was just a vent, that's all, nothing more and nothing less.

Now I'm off to enjoy my cruise and crossing my fingers for smooth sailing. :D

Doesn't make it any better but you're not the first to get bad information from a HAL rep. It happens and obviously is a training and quality control issue for HAL. The whole situation though reminds me of "Trust but verify". I won't say I intensely watch our bookings but then again having done this a number of times I do stay on top of it until I'm pretty sure it's all squared away. I put reminders in my Outlook calender, usually a day or two out from any critical date, and follow up.

Lesson we all can learn here:

Verify with your TA, PCC or whoever to be certain your final payment has been made when due. Even though in a perfect world we should be able to rely upon those who job it is to do this, our world isn't perfect. A call or e-mail on that date would have saved this angst.

In the end, I fell it is my responsibility to see that my deadlines are met.

Lesson we all can learn here:

Verify with your TA, PCC or whoever to be certain your final payment has been made when due. Even though in a perfect world we should be able to rely upon those who job it is to do this, our world isn't perfect. A call or e-mail on that date would have saved this angst.

In the end, I fell it is my responsibility to see that my deadlines are met.

I agree with Judy 200% - our TA takes our payment a few days early (which suits me just fine). that way we make sure it gets to HAL and I make sure it is charged as it should be. Never had an issue, but I always check;)

Reading this prompted me once again to pull up my account on the screen and double check to be sure it is still showing that we are paid in full.

"Trust but verify" indeed, as Randy and Reagan have both said. :)

We always book thru the HAL website and make all payments thru the HAL website. We get regular e-mail reminders and make that final payment very easily.

Our on-line TA is also good about periodic reminders. We've never sensed they were "nagging" and have appreciated them. They ask, and we have absolutely no problem with it, that we pay the final payment a week or so earlier than the HAL final payment date. That way if there are any issue with the credit card then those can be straightened out without jeopardizing the booking by being late. Since we use AMEX that's never been a problem but it's a good business practice for the TA and us. Might add that the TA only sends the credit card number, information, etc., to HAL and HAL charges the card directly, the TA is not involved in moving money or the charges. We'd not deal with any TA who "washed" the money through their own accounts. In the meantime we save, on the average, 10-12% on our cruise fares. :)

I never heard about this. Do retired teachers count?

Others have indicated that the discount is available only for full time teachers ... I suspect HAL would need more than a teaching certificate, as there likely are those who got one and never practiced the trade. Maybe the poster meant he/she faxed a current teaching contract, as that would be the only way to verify that one satisfies HAL's requirements.

California teachers make $60-80 an hour for a 185 day year. Plus very generous retirement, health care benefits and paid days off. Seems only fair they get a cruise discount too. :confused:

Others have indicated that the discount is available only for full time teachers ... I suspect HAL would need more than a teaching certificate, as there likely are those who got one and never practiced the trade. Maybe the poster meant he/she faxed a current teaching contract, as that would be the only way to verify that one satisfies HAL's requirements.

Yup, several in my class didn't go on to teach, despite getting certificates. I taught for 10 years, and DH made a career of it.

Swiss Myst, you must live in a very generous area. A lot of teachers don't make that kind of money.

California teachers make $60-80 an hour for a 185 day year. Plus very generous retirement, health care benefits and paid days off. Seems only fair they get a cruise discount too. :confused:

we are on the same page !.... :confused:

next we will hear of senior discounts on hal [ lol ]:rolleyes:

Where did you get those numbers? They don't add up, to me.

Using those numbers, and a seven hour work day (most teachers work more than the set hours), and assuming 185 days per year, that has teachers in California making between $77,000 and $103,600.

According to Sacramento Bee, the *average* teacher salary in California is about $68,000, which basically means that for every one making more than that, there is one making less than that.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/26/995141/see-how-well-your-school-district.html

Of course, according to that same article, there *are* districts that pay within that range, but, as the article points out, this largely has to do with the cost of living in the areas where those schools are.

And, of course, that is (arguably) the state with the highest paid teachers.

I couldn't find (in one place) as current information about ALL states, but this site has the average CA teacher salary at $64,000 in 07-08, I think we can use it as a point of comparison.

http://dcjobsource.com/teachersalaries.html

As you can see, the averages are no where near the number you are claiming.

I am a teacher in Virginia. I can tell you that, in our district, the salary for a beginning teacher qualifies them for subsidized housing --no, I am not kidding. In fact, it isn't until their third year, at our current salary structure, that they no longer qualify for subsidized housing.

One of our teachers subsidizes her salary as a realtor. Basically, based on income, a married couple, both of whom have taught for fewer than 8 years, cannot qualify to buy even the most modest houses in our district, through traditional means, if they have only 10% down. Because of this, several lending institutions have offered to provide options for teachers to buy in the area.

I'd also like to point out that, while the *kids* might be in school 7 hours a day, if a teacher is doing his/her job correctly, he/she works far many more hours than that. I work at least an average of 1.5 to 2 hours longer each work day. Also, in our district, we work 200 days -- the kids are in school 190 days, the other days are the week ahead of the students (setting up the classrooms, getting lesson plans made for the first weeks, etc.) and the other five are the three teacher work days at the end of the quarters to get grades/comments in, elementary school conferences, and clearing out our rooms at the end of the year.

Does a teacher, in general, make more money than a person working in a retail store? Yes. But, if you compare the educational background and salaries of most professional careers, teachers do end up on the low end of the scale.

My skill set could definitely be used to make more money. I have a bachelor's degree, two master's degrees, and all the coursework for my doctorate (that doggoned dissertation!). My husband has his B.S. He makes twice the money I do. I teach because I believe I am called to it, just as some people are called to the military, or to the clergy. I've never asked for a discount on a cruise, as a teacher; it wouldn't occur to me to.

Discounts are usually marketing ploys. Let's face it, the seniors that sail on HAL are probably more affluent than the average senior -- and yet, there is often a senior discount. Why? To get more seniors to go on cruises, of course! Retirees have time. They can go on longer sailings.

Teachers, similarly, are a good market. They are educated, and are therefore more likely to be intellectually curious. They have chunks of time off from work, making longer cruises possible. HAL wants to get teachers interested in sailing this line.

I'm not suggesting that teachers "deserve" any special treatment, but it does annoy me when people throw out numbers that seem to come from thin air.

Are you suggesting that the teachers in California should be exempt from the discount? What exactly is your point?

Teachers, police officers and firefighters are historically the most underpaid professionals in the U.S. and, yet, the most important. HAL should be applauded for extending a helping hand in the way of a discount.

Your post really got under my skin in the worst possible way. :mad:

Teachers......... are historically the most underpaid professionals in the U.S. and, yet, the most important. HAL should be applauded for extending a helping hand in the way of a discount.
All right, I can't stand it anymore. A friend of mine is a CA high school teacher who has about 20 years employment. He makes $82,000 a year for working 185 days a year. Plus he gets incredible benefits. Me? I have the same college degree, have been at my job for 34 years, work 310 days a year, take a one week vacation every other year, and have to pay my own health care (for family of four) at the tune of $1200 per month, and make about $58,000 per year. I work in retail selling sought after musical instruments as well as administrating a school of music education (hey, maybe I qualify for the HAL discount!) and have to deal daily with a multitude of the public who feel entitled to a discount of my products just because -- teachers want a discount, preachers want a discount, students want a discount, policeman want a discount, fireman want a discount, and on and on it goes? So, who's left to pay my already discounted prices? No one.

I may be in the minority and will probably get flamed, but I don't think a teacher discount is warranted by HAL or any other cruise line. I don't get my vacations subsidized, why should they?

The biggest problem here is that HAL called a cell phone instead of the home phone. I have avoided this by generally only giving my home number. I have found that whenever I give both numbers, people always call the cell phone which I only turn it on when I'm out and don't normally check otherwise. Of course, it would have been great if they tried both numbers.

I'm the other way around.

I don't even have a land-line at home. I just use my cell these days because idiot banks, etc., will call your HOME PHONE to find out if you authorized a purchase in a city on the other side of the country ... and if you don't answer, they'll put a block on your account. Idiocy. Of COURSE you didn't answer your HOME PHONE in Dallas if they're calling to find out if you authorized a purchase in SAN DIEGO 20 minutes before!

When I was in mid-transit back in 2007 prior to a cruise aboard the Ryndam HAL tried to call me at my home phone to advise me of the change-in-travel arrangements they were making for me after the delay in the cruise. I had informed them to contact me on my cell because I would already be in San Diego for a pre-cruise stay, but they didn't follow directions ... they called my HOME phone in Dallas. After this, and multiple gymkhanas with banks and credit card companies, etc., I've given up on having home phones ... I go with ONE number: my cell. Indeed, now days my cell IS my home phone. It's always on or near my person, and it's ALWAYS on (except when I'm aboard ship).

Archived