Constellation Gym - Age restrictions?

cafediem

Does anyone know what the minimum age is for access to the gym? My 14 yr old is concerned he will only be allowed to run outside on the jogging track and it might be cold in the Arctic (might!). Also, do you know whether there are free weights?

Thanks

I don't know if there are age restrictions but there are free weights. My experiance is that the free weights are sometimes difficult to use when at sea - depending on ship movement. There isn't as much of an issue using the resistance machines.

For some areas of the spa there is an age limit of 18. I don't know if this applies to the gym or not, but I don't recall seeing teenagers as young as your grandson in the gym. OTOH - unless the weather is bad I usually just do my exercise outside in the fresh sea air on the walking/jogging track so I don't spend much time in the gym.

A long thread on this topic can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1159280&highlight=gym+age

Gosh...some strong views on that thread! It seems pretty clear that the age limit is 16, but as he looks 16 they might let him in. If it's down to liability, he'll have to be content with running on deck and doing core strength exercises in our stateroom. Have also signed him, his older brother and DH up for a hike in Norway - that'll help them stay fit! (He wants to keep up general fitness and strength as he high jumps, and plays football.) I won't be letting him go to the gym unaccompanied, or at all if the trainers say no.

And the 18 yr old is pleased about the free weights.

Thanks for the help, I can start managing the 14 yr old's expectations now. (ie, tell him he won't be allowed in the gym)

I agree some of the comments were rather extreme. I accept that rules are made for very good reasons, but sometimes life isnt black and white and exceptions should sometimes be allowed.

If a teenager has a gift and uses their time to folllow their dreams by hard work and dedication, if they have a letter from their coach or club would this really be such an issue? Any keen sporting adult who can see a youngster working hard would not have an issue with a teen in the gym would they? And I agree a parent should always be present. I agree it cant descend into a teen hangout and unless there is written evidence of the need to maintain fitness the other kids will have to live with it. Our local gym takes teens from the age of 14 and I can honestly say the odd occassion you see a youngster in they are always with a parent and they work really hard.

There I was being led to believe the youth of today are lazy, overweight and only interested in computer games.

Please dont knock those kids who are going to be our future athletes or sportsmen or women, or at least trying their best to be. Take pride in them.

Im probably biased as my daughter is a keen gymnast and we were thinking she would use the gym. Guess not. I wonder if there is any outside space she could use to stretch and do core workouts. She is 15yo.

On Equinox last year, our 14 was able to use the gym after we signed a waiver. The waiver also included a rider that he was to be with an adult at all times. This was processed through Guest Services.

Gosh...some strong views on that thread! It seems pretty clear that the age limit is 16, but as he looks 16 they might let him in. If it's down to liability, he'll have to be content with running on deck and doing core strength exercises in our stateroom. Have also signed him, his older brother and DH up for a hike in Norway - that'll help them stay fit! (He wants to keep up general fitness and strength as he high jumps, and plays football.) I won't be letting him go to the gym unaccompanied, or at all if the trainers say no.

And the 18 yr old is pleased about the free weights.

Thanks for the help, I can start managing the 14 yr old's expectations now. (ie, tell him he won't be allowed in the gym)

There are available (for purchase online) Dumbbells that you fill with water at your destination. Maybe you might order them for the 14 year old. (Dumbbells are about the extent of the freeweights and only up to about 50 pounds, at least on the Solstice)

here is a link to the Aquabells thru Amazon, You can probably find variations that may be cheaper or allow for more weight. I think I saw some that can go up to about 25 lbs.

Link http://www.amazon.com/Aquabells-Travel-Filled-Exercise-Dumbells/dp/B000AQK20M

On Equinox last year, our 14 was able to use the gym after we signed a waiver. The waiver also included a rider that he was to be with an adult at all times. This was processed through Guest Services.

That's really useful to know - thank you

No problem. IMHO it was better to tell them he was 14 and ask about a possible waiver, than just take him in. He is a strong young lad who could have probably gotten away with but it didnt seem the right thing to do. He really only used the treadmill / cross trainer alongside me.

Archived