How to pack for Alaska cruise??

RaMar

I need help from former Alaska cruisers. Will be going to Alaska in August for the first time and I am having trouble deciding what to bring.

How is the temperature there during August? Would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

We spent 19 days in Alaska during July & August a few years ago. There were a couple of days in Anchorage where it was warm enough to wear shorts, but we wouldn't have been overly hot if we had worn long pants those days. I was happy that I had silk long underwear (for spending a day near a glacier), short & long sleeved shirts, micro fleece tops, a hooded rain jacket long enough to cover my seat, thin gloves, an ear band.

Alaska can give you many types of weather. Some have sailed there at this time of the year and reported that they got drenched by rain every day, some had days they could wear shorts, and others needed down jackets. So you have to prepare for just about everything.

I would suggest to go easy on the shorts :) perhaps taking one pair.

and concentrate on layering for everything else.

We start out packing the silk thermals. They are very lightweight, they can be worn under the snuggest clothes without adding bulk. I take the silk long johns and a few tops. one with long sleeves and one with no sleeves.

With these you do not need to pack a lot of the really bulky stuff, as wearing this outfit under a sweater and Levis is usually enough. So instead of a few really heavy tops, I can get away with sweaters and/or shirts. The heavy coat I take is one that is weatherproof. I figure that if it is cold enough for wearing it, then it most likely will rain also.

take a wool hat and gloves. and in the silk thermal gear you can buy silk glove and sock liners.

Do take some kind of rain-gear. Last time we were there the heavens opened in most of the ports. without the rain-suit and waterproof boots, I would have been miserable. But instead I was able to enjoy everything while staying warm and dry.

check out. travelalaska dot com for more weather.

We are going back there in May of next year, and are really looking forward to it. Alaska is a beautiful place no matter what the weather.

I think the cruiser's home should also be considered. Someone from Wisconsin may say it is warm enough to wear shorts- but someone from South Florida might think otherwise!!! :eek:

Look up the temperatures for the cities you are visiting at that time of the year and think about how you dress in those temps. That will give you the best idea of how to pack.

I'm struggling with my packing as well - I'm planning on one pair of fold up/down capri's incase it's warm, a variety of short and long sleeved t-shirts that I can layer together and under the two sweaters I'm taking. I plan on carrying my heavy (I live in Florida so it's not all that heavy) jacket on the plane with hats, gloves, scarf, etc tucked in the pockets.

To help with the bulk I will be using travel space bags to help flatten my bulky items. I did this a few years ago when we went to Washington, DC and it worked beautifully.

I also have one pair of waterproof hiking shoes and a pair of trail running shoes plus a pair of black heels to wear to dinner. I also picked up some thermal underwear to wear under our jeans when needed. Packing so we don't freeze our butts off, so it will probably be warm. LOL!

Just came back from our Alaskan cruise. I used pantyhose as a warm layer- very little space needed and certainly did the trick. I found the only really cold days were those sailing through Glacier Bay and College fjord day. Otherwise it was 55-75 degrees. I also havea couple pair convertible hiking pants- which solved the shorts problem. I overpacked in anticipation of much colder weather- but then again I live in New England so kinda used to the cold. Good Luck- you're going to love Alaska!!!

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I am just struggling with not really knowing what to bring and of course the routine over packing that we do. I am also trying to avoid the extra baggage fees on the flight. It will be weird leaving NY in 90 degrees and facing colder temps.

If you have ear muffs, be sure to pack them. Sometimes wind can make you colder than the outside temperature. They don't take up much space but can sure help you feel more comfortable.

We've been warm, but have also frozen in August so you just never know. It is definitely unpredictable from port to port.

I, too, struggled with this last summer. Almost the entire cruise I ended up wearing jeans, long sleeve t-shirts and fleece pull-overs and tennis shoes. You do not need insulated hiking boots unless you are going hiking. I took a hooded light-weight, water-proof coat that fit over my fleece, and earmuffs and gloves, but the only day I wore those things was in Glacier Bay.

There are two critical things for a trip to Alaska:

1) A good pair of binoculars. If you don't own a GOOD pair, borrow them. Mine have been to Alaska 3 times but I've only accompanied them once. Binocs are not all created equally. Go to an outdoors store and get help. If the price is under $200, leave them alone. I paid about $400 (Wind River by Leupold) for mine.

2) I have a rain parka I got from Cabelas that has a zip out liner. It is also Goretex. This coat has so many uses. If it is simply cool, I take out the liner. Put it in on those frosty mornings spent on the upper deck. Has a hood and is wind resistant. Other than my binocs and camera, this was my most worn piece of clothing. Note, Cabela's stuff runs a bit large. I normally wear a Tall XXL and bought a Tall XL and it fits perfectly.

We were there in August, 2004. Best trip in my life.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I am just struggling with not really knowing what to bring and of course the routine over packing that we do. I am also trying to avoid the extra baggage fees on the flight. It will be weird leaving NY in 90 degrees and facing colder temps.

We left home with 90+ degree temps last year and got to Seattle and it was over 90 there, also! We had packed only for cooler weather. Jeans were pretty miserable that one day in Seattle!

Most of our time in Alaska highs were in the mid 70's, and jeans were fine.

I am also a big fan of silk long underwear. They take up very little room and they have no bulk. I wore them when going to the Glaciers. I also brought a warm sweater, a jacket(not a parka, just a simple jacket), gloves and a hat and scarf. This was the perfect combination, plus layers and of course a rain parka. I used them all on every Alaskan cruise(3 cruises to Alaska). You can wear the same pants or jeans several times and just change your tops. On my last Alaskan cruise I had only one checked bag and a backpack, but did not do the formal nights either. In the past I have brought shorts, but never wore them. As one other answer said you will not be too hot wearing long pants. Great cruise BTW.

I was in AK in early June the first time and mid-September the 2nd time. Early June was warm and pleasant and though I used my parka on the glacier visit, I didn't need it otherwise. September, though was a very different story. It was quite cold, rainy, sometimes stormy. There was snow and we were glad to get back to sunny Seattle. ;-D We needed parka, gloves, hat and all of it waterproof!. So if you go late in August, you may have worse/colder/wetter weather than earlier. Winter comes early to AK. Whatever you decide to take, though, try to make everything do double duty and pack as light as you can. Nobody cares if you wear the same thing to dinner every night. At least, I don't. I'd think you were smart.

We cruised Alaska last August on the Royal Princess and on the whole enjoyed quite warm weather ( we're from the UK so i guess it depends on where you are from as to what you classed as warm). Layers really are best, i took long sleeve tops and thin jumpers that could go over the top as well as a North face body warmer type thing that I wore nearly every day. The last few days of our cruise in Skagway and then Victoria were very warm so we were pleased we had packed a few summery things too.

If you are cruising near the glaciers take lots of layers to put on including gloves, hat etc we found it to be very cold and a little damp the day we were there and I was glad I could put on so many layers as I wouldn't have wanted to have missed a thing.

Enjoy your cruise - Alaska was our first cruise and I'm hooked.

Last year it rained every day on us; Goretex rain gear saved the trip. Goretex or some other hi-tech, breathable outerware should be at the top of your list. If it is fairly warm and raining you will be miserable if your gear does not breath. Aside from that, it's just layers... And as mentioned above, some decent binoculars depending if you're a glasser or not. We are and pack a variety regardless of where we go, but used them very heavily in Alaska.

Just came back from our Alaskan cruise. I used pantyhose as a warm layer- very little space needed and certainly did the trick. I found the only really cold days were those sailing through Glacier Bay and College fjord day. Otherwise it was 55-75 degrees. I also havea couple pair convertible hiking pants- which solved the shorts problem. I overpacked in anticipation of much colder weather- but then again I live in New England so kinda used to the cold. Good Luck- you're going to love Alaska!!!

We were in Glacier Bay the same day as you but we were on the Diamond Princess. Here is a picture of the Island Princess in Glacier Bay that day taken from the Diamond Princess......

DiamondPrincessMay2011683.jpg

DiamondPrincessMay2011684.jpg

It can be cool, so pack things that can be layered. That way you can take off a layer as needed as the temperatures rise during the day.

When all the all tips are said and done, Pauls advice remains the most usuallable for the majority of situations.

Layering is a time tested method of dressing for any weather conditions.

Srpilo

There were a ton of things we had to buy for our Alaska cruise last July. I made an Alaska packing list on my blog that includes what we used and didn't use:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Click on the Packing List link. Hope it helps!!

Thank you so much for posting this. It really helps!

Not possiable.

I think she was referring to the wind chill factor. Here in Chicago, during the winter they report the actual temps and then how the cold will feel to the person when the wind is taken into account which they call the wind chill factor. The temp may not change with the wind, but your perception as to how cold you feel does when there is a strong wind.

I think she was referring to the wind chill factor. Here in Chicago, during the winter they report the actual temps and then how the cold will feel to the person when the wind is taken into account which they call the wind chill factor. The temp may not change with the wind, but your perception as to how cold you feel does when there is a strong wind.

Yikes! I hate cold & wind.

I bought a Fleece in Denali and used it all of the cruise with a gortex jacket (rolled really small) overtop. To this day when it is cold out I grab that Fleece it was the best $15 I ever spent. Don't forget a fold up umbrella and backpack to keep those layers as you peel or need to put back on. The silks (silky long underwear) were also great and did not take up much room. If your toes/hands and ears are warm you should be ok also. We bought a spa pass for the week (only on this cruise) and it was so nice to warm up in the sauna/steam room/hot beds on those cold damp days. You have to purchase those when you get onboard. Have a wonderful time it is fantastic

We bought a spa pass for the week (only on this cruise) and it was so nice to warm up in the sauna/steam room/hot beds on those cold damp days. You have to purchase those when you get onboard. Have a wonderful time it is fantastic

How much was the spa pass? That sounds like a good idea!

Archived