How to pack for Alaska cruise??

RaMar

We mostly used a number of thin layers. We definitely hit all 4 seasons while in Alaska for a week! Have things that you can easily "strip" as needed. We had a draw string thin backpack with us to carry our discarded layers while in port. We found we had to relayer a few times as the day wore on.

Our most used item: A fleece lined, breathable rain jacket (one that you can remove the liner) This was the best investment we ever made for Alaska! We used them all week, rain or shine, in one form or another.

I also didn't really think I'd use binoculars too much, but I had those suckers up to my face most of the time. There is so much to see, and when everyone around you is all excited when they spot something far away, you're gonna want to see what they're looking at!

How cold does it get? I don't generally wear long underwear unless it's in the twenties or colder? I'm packing tees -- short and long sleeve, fleece and a shell. If the weather looks colder than 50s I might bring a heavy North Face fleece in addition to the lightweight fleece. A pair or two of shorts for any warm days. One pair of jeans for at sea days on deck, one pair of hiking pants and a pair of fleece pants. Fleece pants are practical also because they are tons warmer (and cooler) than jeans and they shed water and they are comfy and they dry quickly. Jeans are miserable in the wet and cold. Fleece pants are also practical for running to the hot tub if I'm so inclined.

How cold does it get? I don't generally wear long underwear unless it's in the twenties or colder? I'm packing tees -- short and long sleeve, fleece and a shell. If the weather looks colder than 50s I might bring a heavy North Face fleece in addition to the lightweight fleece. A pair or two of shorts for any warm days. One pair of jeans for at sea days on deck, one pair of hiking pants and a pair of fleece pants. Fleece pants are practical also because they are tons warmer (and cooler) than jeans and they shed water and they are comfy and they dry quickly. Jeans are miserable in the wet and cold. Fleece pants are also practical for running to the hot tub if I'm so inclined.
Daytime in Glacier Bay the third week of August last year, the temperature was in the high 40's-low 50's and the ship was moving part of the time creating a breeze. Felt quite cool to us Texans.

We did the Alaska cruise and then six night land tour a few years ago. I was so glad that I packed a variety: long pants, sweat shirts, jacket, shorts and t shirts. It was really warm in Fairbanks and Denali and I wore shorts.

Keep in mind the inside of the ship will be warm,dummy me took some fancy pull over sweaters to wear in the mdr and I was way to warm.

Yup, I wore sundresses every night in the MDR!! It's nice that we can do that no matter how cold it is outside! :D

Billy and Charlie's mum- Thanks so much for posting that picture of the Island! I have one of the Diamond that day(didn't know until now what ship it was!) We had beautiful weather that day - and weren't the views wondeful!!! Thanks again (I think I can see myself out on the balcony-lol)

Should I bring T shirts to wear inside the ship?

Definitely... We were all in jeans and short sleeves inside the ship. They keep the ship warm. We just grabbed a fleece jacket if we wanted to be on deck when it was cool. You'll only need the layers on port days.

Hi There

We were in Alaska 2 summers ago ICELAND GREENLAND last summer

First of all get the Plastic compression bags ...the ones you suck air out of They are SO handy. I find most warm stuff is Bulky not heavy so the bags are great

I found Jeans to be ideal Waterproof your running shoes prior to cruise You will need short sleeve tops .long sleeve tops and hoodies Definitely bring a rainproof jacket with hood or better still buy one there I got one in Ketchican the other in Skagway A rainhat under the hood might be handy

Expect anything be prepared for everything Carry a back pack with you for extra stuff Cold add a layer hot remove a layer Always carry water I had a whistle in case I saw a bear ...we did on the road to YUKON but he was more scared of us!!!

Cheap gloves or mitts are good I also had a scarf

Arouind Glaciers it is cooler In some towns ...SITKA it was warm and lovely

Do put sunscreen on your face and other exposed areas In Iceland we had bug problems but not in Alaska

The scenery is WONDERFUL THe GLACIERS MAGNIFICENT WE hope to return NEXT summer

Bon Voyage

Michele

Hi There

We were in Alaska 2 summers ago ICELAND GREENLAND last summer

First of all get the Plastic compression bags ...the ones you suck air out of They are SO handy. I find most warm stuff is Bulky not heavy so the bags are great

I found Jeans to be ideal Waterproof your running shoes prior to cruise You will need short sleeve tops .long sleeve tops and hoodies Definitely bring a rainproof jacket with hood or better still buy one there I got one in Ketchican the other in Skagway A rainhat under the hood might be handy

Expect anything be prepared for everything Carry a back pack with you for extra stuff Cold add a layer hot remove a layer Always carry water I had a whistle in case I saw a bear ...we did on the road to YUKON but he was more scared of us!!!

Cheap gloves or mitts are good I also had a scarf

Arouind Glaciers it is cooler In some towns ...SITKA it was warm and lovely

Do put sunscreen on your face and other exposed areas In Iceland we had bug problems but not in Alaska

The scenery is WONDERFUL THe GLACIERS MAGNIFICENT WE hope to return NEXT summer

Bon Voyage

Michele

Thanks for the tips!

Sorry for all these ????... On nice days is the pool open?

Unless the seas are very rough plan for pools and hot tubs to be open. Depending on the cruise line they may or may not be heated. I made that mistake on our last Alaskan cruise.

It can also depend on the ship you're on.....We were on the Golden which has an indoor pool which was quite warm and had swimmers the entire cruise. Outside, it was mainly the hot tubs being utilized.

We sailed Island Princess last July. We saw in the indoor pool and hot tubs on both glacier cruising days. On the last sea day (before arriving in Vancouver), it was actually warm and we saw a girl swimming in the outdoor pool. She said the pool was actually heated!

Got pics of us in the hot tub and the indoor pool on my review:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

• 1 month later...

If you do not have the plastic compression bags, then just toss in a few of the zip lock big bags.

You can find them in 3-4-5 gallon sizes, and I like them as they are less bulky than the compression bags. I just put in my stuff at the end of the trip when I do not care about wrinkling, and I have now purchased "stuff" to bring home;)

then I kneel on the bag and start rolling it up, closing it as I go. when I have completely rolled it up and removed almost all the air, I can then lay it flat and place it in the suitcase. This also acts as a great padding/buffer for any booze or other potentially breakable stuff that I have bought.

note: I still wrap up booze/breakables in bubble wrap and place it in a zip lock bag also, and do not rely strictly on padding.

I need help from former Alaska cruisers. Will be going to Alaska in August for the first time and I am having trouble deciding what to bring.

How is the temperature there during August? Would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

I have been to Alaska two times. Just this past June and we never used our winter coats, gloves, hats, etc. or our rain geer. We had picture perfect weather in each port. When we went five years ago in August, much different picture, used the winter clothing and rain geer. According to the tour guide we had in Skagway, they were approaching going into winter mid-August. Just take a little of each type of clothing and you will be prepared for whatever type of weather you experience. There is washer and dryers on cruise ships.

Archived