Port or Starboard Rome to Rio in Nov 2012

mrsfish

Booking the TA Nov 2012 Rome to Rio. What side is preferred Port or Starboard? We are leaving from rainy Oregon and looking forward to sunshine in November! For those who have done this crossing...was it too hot on the starboard side or was it worth it starboard for the sunsets?? ;)

Booking the TA Nov 2012 Rome to Rio. What side is preferred Port or Starboard? We are leaving from rainy Oregon and looking forward to sunshine in November! For those who have done this crossing...was it too hot on the starboard side or was it worth it starboard for the sunsets?? ;)

Crossing the Atlantic, even the South Atlantic, in November will be chilly. It may be sunny, but when the ship is out of sight of the (warmer) land masses, the temperatures will probably be in the fifties.

If you want to sit in the sun, bring lots of layered clothing and find yourself a sheltered spot. Don't forget that the ship crosses at better than 25 miles per hour, so even on a still day, that motion stirs up a breeze.

As you cross the ocean, the sun will be rising in front of the ship and setting behind it. The Port (South) side of the ship will get marginally more sun during the day , but I don't think that you can count on seeing true sunsets, unless you angle yourself toward the rear.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken the sun rises behind the ship and sets in the bow.

We will be sailing west. My wife prefers the starboard side for PM sun.

Will confirm on the Insignia this 11/22, will be on Marina next 11/22

Sorry, but, me thinks, in the Atlantic, the Sun will rise aft the ship on the portside. So, if so interested, the Sun, you're best served on the portside.

If sunsets are more important, do the starboard.

The ship will most probably average 18-19 knots on this trip..........done it twice.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken the sun rises behind the ship and sets in the bow.

We will be sailing west. My wife prefers the starboard side for PM sun.

Will confirm on the Insignia this 11/22, will be on Marina next 11/22

You are absolutely correct.

I cannot imagine how I typed just the opposite in my response, because I was thinking the correct thing.

Is there such a thing as Solar dyslexia? :confused:

I remember the water temperature well on Regatta Barcelona to Miami TA November 2008 as I was very surprised.

The TV was displaying the ship's route map when the Captain's daily announcement was made.

All that was displayed on the TV was ocean blue and a little ship passing the over middle 'a' in the words 'Atlantic Ocean' as can be seen on most any map. We were right in the middle. The Captain announced that the water temperature was 70 degrees!

The ocean was not cold. The air certainly can be chilly depending on the weather and mostly the wind. As jimandstan point out there is a signifcant breeze from the ships movement alone.

That said I was very happy sitting out on the balcony, enjoying the wind in my hair (okay somewhat of an exageration) tucked in with the somewhat smallish cashmere throw. Sat out there often enjoying the clouds on the horizon.

On Marina's Maiden Voyage in January it was noticably cooler, wetter and lot windier and I rarely used the balcony.

Disclaimer: I'm from the west coast of Canada. Weather-wise think of Seattle. I do prefer cooler than hotter weather.

For the transatlantic portion of this, looks like you're going mostly south-southwest. Which means sun on port in the morning, sun on starboard in the afternoon. By the time you get to the coast of Brazil, having shade in the afteroons would be nice, if you like spending time on your balcony.

the Roll Call yet...we're a happy group..already busy enjoying each other's company..come on over!! LuAnn

Archived