Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

That was very interesting to me, as I'm sailing on the 16 Nov, and have always wanted to visit Barcelona. Now I have a chance because on the last day of my cruise my flight doesn't leave till 8pm so I have 8 hours to kill and with looking at some of the photos you have posted, it gives me a good idea of what to look for. Lovely photos on the site. Thank You. Lilyrose123

Appreciate the nice comments from our London neighbor, Lilyrose. Great to hear that you will have more time in Barcelona. It is a wonderful and very interesting city. There's lots to love and enjoy there. Walking around in Barcelona is so much fun. Lots of great architecture, history and charm. Below are a few more of my Barcelona pictures that I have not previously posted. Let me know any questions on Barcelona. Have a great Nov. 16 cruise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This is a view of Barceloneta, an up-and-coming neighborhood originally built for fishermen's families. It has very narrow streets and is close to the beaches in Barcelona.:

BarcelNarrowStreetsEtte.jpg

Here is a sample of other views in Barcelona. This includes flowers and shoppers on the Rambla, picture-taking at the famed/historic market, outside building details on the 700+ year old Main Cathedral, a night shot of a famous Gaudi building and daytime details on that Gaudi structure. :

BarcelRambalaFlowers.jpg

BarcelMarketDisplayPixTaking.jpg

BarcelMainCathBldgDetails.jpg

BarcelGaudiNightShot.jpg

BarcelGaudiBldgDetails.jpg

Just back from Solstice 10/23 and had a full day in Barcelona. We actually did a 4 hour tour which started at the ship and ended at our hotel as we flew out the next AM. Most tour companies will load your luggage and give you the tour and then drop you at the airport. If you could find somewhere to stow your luggage and the weather was good, the HoHo would be a great option. Barcelona is a great city! We loved it, although we had a rainy day.

Terry

I believe that this June Celebrity cruise was the first time you and your wife sailed on such a large cruise ship. I would like to know your thoughts regarding the pros and cons of both a smaller and larger ship and differences in the cruiselines.

Thanks Again.....keep the photos coming ;)

Cheers,

Lisa and Len

Terry: I believe that this June Celebrity cruise was the first time you and your wife sailed on such a large cruise ship. I would like to know your thoughts regarding the pros and cons of both a smaller and larger ship and differences in the cruiselines. Thanks Again.....keep the photos coming. Cheers, Lisa and Len

Knolmom: Just back from Solstice 10/23 and had a full day in Barcelona. We actually did a 4 hour tour which started at the ship and ended at our hotel as we flew out the next AM. Most tour companies will load your luggage and give you the tour and then drop you at the airport. If you could find somewhere to stow your luggage and the weather was good' date=' the HoHo would be a great option. Barcelona is a great city! We loved it, although we had a rainy day.[/quote']

Appreciate the added follow-up and requests. YES, our three earlier cruises were on much smaller ships. Those were 2006 for Greek Isles/Turkish Coast on 204-passenger Seabourn Spirit, 2008 Baltics/Russia on 940-passenger Crystal Symphony and 2010 on 296-passenger Silversea Silver Cloud along Norway coast up to North Cape. Each was different, very good and special. As with all things in life, there always are "trade-offs", various pro-con factors. Smaller can be much more "personal" in connecting with the staff, other passengers, easier to get around on a smaller ship. BUT, smaller means less options for dining places/venues, facilities, programs and entertainment on the ship, etc.

On both last summer Norway cruise and this time on Solstice, we were traveling with different friends from Central Ohio. In traveling with another couple, that can be a major plus for sharing tours, etc. The Solstice is a very well-designed ship that has nice class and wonderful facilities and entertainment. That larger ship did not feel that crowded or confusing. It was a little harder to connect with other passengers as you are on such a larger ship where your "paths" do not cross as much with passengers or group you might meet earlier. Clearly, the cost-per-day "value" or cost was much better with Celebrity. For us, the bottom-line is that we would definite like to do more in the future with Celebrity and their Solstice-type ships. It is just a matter of when AND WHERE the schedules and budgets work out and fit for us in the future. For early 2013, the Solstice has some nice options for New Zealand-Australia. That's high on our "to do" list!!!

Below are a few other pictures that I have not posted previously for Villefranche in southern France. Great and interesting area!!

In the Old Town of Villefranche, this is rue Obscure, a dark and eerie vaulted passageway that has changed little since the Middle Ages. This area provided connection and security in times of attack.:

VilleFrInteriorPassage.jpg

This is the Baroque, Italian-style tower of Villefranche’s Saint Michael Church. It is in the heart of the old town and originally dates from the first part of the 14th Century.:

VilleFraChurchTower.jpg

This is the interior of this church in Villefranche.:

VilleFrChurchInterior.jpg

Overlooking the port and tender docking location in Villefranche are a series of various outdoor dining options.:

VilleFrOutdoorDining.jpg

Hidden among the narrow passages of Villefranche’s Old Town was this artist whose shop produced various etching designs.:

VilleFrShopArtist.jpg

Here is one of the many unique flowers we saw in Villefranche.:

VilleFrUniqueFlower.jpg

Terry,

Thanks for the comparison of the different size of cruise ships. This was our first cruise but we were surprised at the fact that it did not seem crowded as well.

Len and I are looking at the possibility of a cruise to Asia in our future....I hope!!

Cheers,

Lisa

Terry, Thanks for the comparison of the different size of cruise ships. This was our first cruise but we were surprised at the fact that it did not seem crowded as well. Len and I are looking at the possibility of a cruise to Asia in our future....I hope!! Cheers, Lisa

Appreciate, Lisa, your follow-up. YES, we'd like to do Asia and Australia-New Zealand in the future, plus Hawaii. Have done lots in Europe (22 different countries there), but not, yet, to Hawaii and those areas of China, SE Asia, Aus-NZ etc. It is good to know that the Solstice will be doing the runs between Australia-New Zealand starting in late 2012. They had been using the Celebrity Century on that routing and having the Solstice there will be a nice, attractive step up for us to consider.

On another thread, a comment was raised about doing a Solstice wine-related cruise through Costco in 2012. You can check the Costco website for travel to get more info on those future offerings. On our June 2011 cruise, Eric Wente and his wife were on our trip doing a wine-connected offering with various tasting, programs and a chance to interact with the winery owner. We had a chance several times to talk with the Wentes, as we traveled on the shuttle from the ship to main Venice, at breakfast on the back deck, etc. Very nice and interesting gentleman/couple and a great wine story!!

Wente is now operated by the fifth generation of their family. It is located near Livermore just east of the San Francisco Bay. It is now the oldest family-owned winery operating in the U.S. The Wente family trace back its heritage to Germany. Also had some of the Wente wine on the cruise, plus back home in Columbus. Very good! Earlier, we had met their son when he was doing a wine-event in our town. The wine business these days is tough and challenging with so many different brands from all over the world. I'm not a wine expert, but it was very good quality at a reasonable pricing point.

She was nice enough to offer and take a picture of me in front of St. Mark's in Venice (sorry, the subject isn't that good and I won't share here). And then I got the below picture of them in front of this famed location. After the cruise, he had to do a trade event in Bordeaux. Tough life!! Real work selling and promoting a family brand up against the big, big corporate giants and lots of gimmick names for so many varieties and types of wines. It fun to have meet and talked with the owners. It was a nice plus on this enjoyable cruise.

If you get a chance to meet the Wentes and/or drink their wine, I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

In Venice, here is a picture of Eric Wente and his wife in front of St. Mark’s famed cathedral. Below are three of the Wente wines from their family operations in California.:

VeniceWentesStMarks.jpg

SolsticeWenteWine.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Arriving in yesterday's mail was the December edition of Travel+Leisure magazine. On the cover? WOW! An exciting night shot of San Moise Church in Venice. The cover story is all about Venice, especially at Christmas time. The title is "Where to Go for the Holidays". This cover is a great visual of that setting where we had been in June. BUT, this cover shows how it looks there at Christmas time with the wonderful lighting brightening that square and setting.

The story notes that San Moise Church had its front re-done in the late 1600's by the wealthy Fini family. At that time, public statutes were forbidden in Venice and would-be rich patrons like the Finis immortalized familial likenesses on church facades instead.

Don't think many cruisers will be visiting Venice in December, but this whole story provides nice background on your many options for Venice during those planning visits there in 2012 and 2013. In these nine pages, plus the cover, are lots of great pictures and ideas and/or a way to get you excited about visiting this great city. Below are some of my pictures on this church and its special setting.

You might also look at this earlier posting that I did with many options and visual potentials shown for this city that is so great for "walking around".

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

Here are two more views of the Venice church at Campo San Moisè. First is a closer view of the church details. Second is a wider shot showing more of the view that the Travel+Leisure magazine cover captured. Mine, taken in June, does not, of course, have the wonderful Christmas lighting.:

VeniceChurchDetailsBauer.jpg

VeniceChurchBauerHotel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Terry,

We are thinking about an Eastern Med Cruise. Very preliminary stages of researching. I know you went on a 2006 Greek Isles/Turkish Coast Cruise. Could you let me know what are the must see ports and why. Also any other infor that would help and/or tips for these destinations.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and photos :D

Lisa and Len

Terry, We are thinking about an Eastern Med Cruise. Very preliminary stages of researching. I know you went on a 2006 Greek Isles/Turkish Coast Cruise. Could you let me know what are the must see ports and why. Also any other infor that would help and/or tips for these destinations. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and photos. Lisa and Len

gam888: TLCOHio' date=' I am adding myself on this link so I can get your follow up replies from your post. Still totally impressed with your pictures.[/quote']

Appreciate the follow-ups and nice comments.

To the question from Lisa and Len, here are some reactions. Glad you thinking and planning on eastern Europe cruising options. Having done Athens, Greek Isles, Turkish Coast, Istanbul in 2006 on our first cruise, it was super and great!!! Wonderful history, architecture, culture, sights, food, etc., etc. !! Have not been, yet, to Egypt. Know lots of people who have. Wanted to visit there in the future.

Part of the challenge is predicting that safety/stability future for some of these places given recent "tensions" in these areas in and around the Middle East. That's super hard. Near impossible right now. Egypt is the most doubtful and challenged. Personally, I think it's going to get lots worse there before and if it gets better. I have followed the Greece mess very closely. The Europe finances are very shaky (same in the US, but we can always "float" our currency and print more money). Greece and Italy and Spain can't do that. Super complicated financial mess for Europe.

BUT, I believe Greece should calm down some, assuming Europe can tighten its belt, be more reasonable, etc. It's now more of a full Europe issue/challenge. Politics is my business. I love and follow history, current events, etc. Most of these places are fairly safe, with reasonable care and planning. I would stay away from Egypt for the near future. Sorry to say that. Hope things get better, soon, but I doubt it.

My view would be to plan your trip. Book it. Make sure you've got good travel/trip insurance (not through cruise ship company) at time of making final payment, etc. At the time of your final payment, you can make a better evaluation for where things are at and headed. If a late problem pops up in one area, the cruise line will be good in making needed adjustments to insure safety for the passengers, their ship and crew, etc.

Below are just a few of my visual highlights for some options in these eastern Med areas. Celebrity has some great cruise options out of Rome, Venice and/or Barcelona to consider. There are many great options in this area. One cruise might not do it all.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

TOP CRUISE SPEAKER: From our June Solstice adventure, one of our cruise speakers just got some top honors announced this week. Today's Columbus newspaper notes: Ohio State University leads the country with 20 faculty members who have been elected this year as fellows to the American Association for the Advancement of Science. These awards are based on an evaluation by peers in the same academic discipline. The association is the world’s largest general scientific society. Our speaker was Dr. Krzysztof Stanek, an astronomy professor. He was honored for key contributions to our understanding of the nature of gamma-ray bursts, the structure of the Milky Way Galaxy and the Galactic distance scale. He offered some nice programs that much more "down-to-earth" for our interests than these high levels of subject matter.

Let me know any added questions, reactions.

Here’s a sampling of the narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Our first views of Istanbul from our just docking cruise ship as we smell the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

One of the many Istanbul outdoor dining places in the historic area. This is Albura in the heart of Akbiyik Caddesi, a mostly-pedestrian street in Sultanahmet's prime boutique hotel, restaurant and cafe district:

1A-Istbul-NightDining.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Terry. Once again thanks for the info and the photos. We will be looking at a similar cruise in the future. Cheers,

Lisa (and Len)

YES! You'll enjoy those great stops in the eastern Med so much. Appreciate your follow-up.

Now over 53,000 views on this posting. Glad so many have tuned-in, made comments, ask questions, etc. Assume many people are now starting to focus on those potentials stop for 2012. Happy to answer any questions for those doing that planning. Lots to enjoy in these great areas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Below are a few of my New York City holiday pictures to capture that Spirit of the Season.

At Rockefeller Center in New York City, here are three shots of the great decorations in and around this famed site with its great Christmas tree. Few cruise ships can match these visuals for the holidays.:

RockCtrTree.jpg

RockCtrTree2.jpg

RockCtrTree3.jpg

At the Metropolitan Museum of Art, they have great, historic decorations on this tree in the Medieval Court area to capture the traditions of the season. Enjoy!!:

MetMusChrTree.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to see that this thread is still active. We noted you posting these beautiful pictures on various S class ships and followed the links here.

THANKS to our NYC friend for checking in! Nice range of pictures on your postings from many sailings and trips.

This posting is now over 54,000 views. Appreciate those who have tuned in. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Those numbers, in a much shorter time, have nearly caught up to the views from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud. This posting is now at 55,835 views. Check out that cruise at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi all!

Terry ~ I just discovered your thread & am almost in tears with the beauty of your photos!

I'm only 4 pages in but will continue. Would it be okay to use one of your photos as a screensaver please?

I have been on 4 Mediterranean cruises so have experienced some of the places you

visited but don't have such lovely pictures.

Thanks so much!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all! Terry ~ I just discovered your thread & am almost in tears with the beauty of your photos! I'm only 4 pages in but will continue. Would it be okay to use one of your photos as a screensaver please? I have been on 4 Mediterranean cruises so have experienced some of the places you visited but don't have such lovely pictures. Thanks so much! ~ Jo ~ :)

THANKS, Jo, for tuning-in and asking! Yes! Would be honored to share. Let me know any other questions . . . AND . . . let me know here on this board which picture you picked and why. It's helpful and nice to learn that feed-back. You can also check out the Copenhagen and Norway Coast live/blog that I did in July 2010. That one also has lots and lots of great pictures and work by Mother Nature, etc. Do a posting there and let me know your feed-back, questions.

We've done lots in Europe. 22 different countries visited there. Many key places several times. Your Prince Edward County, Ontario, sounds interesting. Have done Montreal and Niagara-on-Lake, etc. Need to do much more in Canada for the future.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 55,835 views.

Hi again!

Terry ~ thanks so much! I chose the picture of the Amalfi Coast with the hotel in it. I love the Amalfi Coast, Bougainvillea, the pretty blue water, rocky shore & the possibility that the purple spots are Morning Glories.

I tried to repost the picture but got a message that I'd used over a million somethings & should cut it down to 80,000!!:eek: Sure stalled my computer for a while!

Yes Prince Edward County is quite interesting. It was settled by Loyalists, has beautiful scenery & is now an up and coming wine area. There are a lot of artists here too as well as farms with local produce in the summer.

There are many lovely places to see in Canada just like in the USA. Out west the Rockies are beautiful, the east coast has it's charms too.

I'm going on a Canada New England cruise round trip from Quebec City,( a fascinating place) to revisit some of those places that we drove to, only now sailing into their harbours.

I will look at your other blog at some point too but I'm spending way too much time on my computer, guess you could say I'm addicted to CC!;)

Thanks again.

~ Jo ~ :)

Terry - I too am in awe of your gorgeous photos. I am the type of traveler who doesn't want to bring back trinkets from my trips - instead I like to bring back beautiful photos so I can always remember those wonderful experiences.

This past year I purchased a Nikon D5000 along with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. I thought I was set until I found a thread on this forum about ultra-wide lenses (your post on that thread was what led me to this fantastic review thread) and now I feel like I have to get a wide-angle lens to take with me when I travel.

One question I have for you: what sort of camera bag do you travel with (both flight travel as well as on excursions)? I want to have a bag where I don't have to worry about the lenses getting stolen, that is comfortable to carry for hours on end, but that also doesn't require everyone in the group to stop for 5 minutes while I get into the bag and change lenses. Is that even possible? Or do you just keep one type of lens on the camera until it is time to stop for another reason.

Any suggestions on how to take great photos while part of a moving group would be VERY much appreciated.

Courtney

Hi Terry, we've just booked a similar cruise on Solstice in August and I quickly found my way to this thread. Well if I was excited before, its nothing to what I am now! And for that, I thank you. You've also provided lots of useful info and resources for research to keep me busy over the next couple of months - Joy!

Thanks again.

Brenda

Hi Terry, we've just booked a similar cruise on Solstice in August and I quickly found my way to this thread. Well if I was excited before, its nothing to what I am now! And for that, I thank you. You've also provided lots of useful info and resources for research to keep me busy over the next couple of months - Joy! Thanks again. Brenda

Appreciate the kind comments from Brenda, Courtney and Jo. Will follow-up with added reactions, especially on the good questions from Courtney. Have some good specifics to suggest for Courtney. Been swamped getting things done on a major work project due early on Tuesday morning. You know how that work stuff is, right? Got to make some money to pay for those future cruises.

Hey Terry - Hope everything went well with your work project.

Appreciate the kind comments from Brenda, Courtney and Jo. Will follow-up with added reactions, especially on the good questions from Courtney. Have some good specifics to suggest for Courtney. Been swamped getting things done on a major work project due early on Tuesday morning. You know how that work stuff is, right? Got to make some money to pay for those future cruises.

Hey Terry - Hope everything went well with your work project.

One question I have for you: what sort of camera bag do you travel with (both flight travel as well as on excursions)? I want to have a bag where I don't have to worry about the lenses getting stolen, that is comfortable to carry for hours on end, but that also doesn't require everyone in the group to stop for 5 minutes while I get into the bag and change lenses. Is that even possible? Or do you just keep one type of lens on the camera until it is time to stop for another reason.

THANKS, Courtney, for your follow-up! Yes, things went well on getting one of my work projects done. Have had some other things to do at home and work. Am catching up today on CC questions and items.

On your photo bag question, below are two pictures of the Tamrac camera bag that I have used on cruises. It can be carried over my shoulder, around my neck or by my hand. BUT, it most cases, it is strapped around my front tummy. That way it is handy and safe. Plus, most important, it is easy to open, pull out and switch lenses, etc. There are also separate spaces in this case to store filters, SD cards, papers, cleaning cloths, etc. Very comfortable, easy to use, looks decent, covers up a little of my larger-than-ideal stomach, etc. With this camera and only those two lenses, the weight is minimal, etc.

Don't know if have any decent camera stores in your area. If so, try there You can also look for those Tamrac bags online. Lots of different sizes and types to consider.

ALSO: "Any suggestions on how to take great photos while part of a moving group would be VERY much appreciated."

Just shoot!!! Be quick on your trigger finger. Fortunately, I'm 6'2" tall and get good visibility. With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure). Move around, take lots of pictures, use your zoom, etc.

What other questions/info would be helpful. Keep asking!!!

Appreciate so much those who tuned-in to these postings. Now over 56,000 views on this thread. This June 2011 live/blog has nearly caught the one from July 2010. That July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud is now over 56,400 views. You can check out those Norway postings and lots of pretty pictures and food details at:

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here are two views of my camera bag used for cruise travels. It is made by Tamrac. First is the inside view where my Nikon D3100 sits/fits in the middle with the longer 55-300mm telephoto zoom on the left and the 10-20mm wide angle on the right. As the ruler shows, it is only about 11” wide.

CameraBagInside.jpg

CameraBagOutside.jpg

Terry - thanks for the info on your bag. Right now I have 2 options and I just don't know if either is right for all day excursions like Florence, Rome, etc.:

I have a LowePro sling backpack that comfortable holds my D500 and can handle 2 lenses (all I would want to take with me). However, you wear it behind you back and I am not sure if that is secure enough in a city like Barcelona. There are clips that protect a zipper that runs under the bag toward your back, so it would be tough to get into but not impossible for those that are truly determined. Also it I think sliding this bag around the front and changing lenses would be a bit cumbersome, but still possible without setting the bag down.

Second, I have a small LowePro over-the shoulder bag that is meant to hold a more compact camera and accessories. However, I use it to hold 2 lenses. So if I just wear my camera around my neck, then I could have this small bag for extra lenses. This setup is great for local shooting where you can just head back to the car to secure your camera in an appropriate bag. But I worry this option would leave me inconvenienced with a camera around my neck at all times.

Decisions, decisions. I want to keep my camera safe, but I also don't want to slow a whole group down to take a picture.

Terry - thanks for the info on your bag. Right now I have 2 options and I just don't know if either is right for all day excursions like Florence, Rome, etc. Decisions, decisions. I want to keep my camera safe, but I also don't want to slow a whole group down to take a picture.

Understand those challenges with your choices and decisions to make. BUT . . . I would strongly urge having a case that works, as mine does, on your frontside. It is so, so much easier, less hassle, safer, etc., to have it right there at tummy level. I would never go back to having a case on my back that is so much harder to reach, use, etc. Like it much better this way.

With lighter cameras and lenses, that also makes things easier, too. Keep the good comments and questions rolling along.

Finally, with the front "strap-on", it is so quick to do as you walk along. Also, safer to walk as you are changing lenses, etc. Once you have done it this way, you'll never want to go back to the back or carry case options.

Hi Terry,

We are going on the same cruise as you took but in April - first one of the year. I have loved reading your thread and I will go back and read it several times again before I go as there is so much information in it. We appreciate the time you have taken not only to do the initial review and your effort to answer all the questions.

I may have missed this, but could you tell me what you paid for the ship's shuttle in Venice please? How often do they go? Is it a return ticket or single only? Do you pay cash (what currency) or add onto seapass? Did you try the vaporettos to go anywhere once on land? We are keen to go Murano and I am wondering how feasible this will be with the extra people in town from the cruise ship. Did you book that restaurant in advance or just walk in off the street? Thanks in advance Terry. Craig