Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

Thank you SO much for taking your time to do this - I've loved every minute of it. We'll be on her last Med cruise of the season in November, with the same itinerary as yours. Can you tell me when your formal nights were? I apologize if you mentioned this already, but I couldn't find it with a search. Thanks again!

Happy Anniversary! We will be on this same cruise July 25th celebrating our 40th anniversary. We are active people, but not 20. Did you find any of the excursions too much work?

Your pictures are so exciting and we just can't wait to get to Barcelona.

Papillio: Happy Anniversary! We will be on this same cruise July 25th celebrating our 40th anniversary. We are active people' date=' but not 20. [b']Did you find any of the excursions too much work[/b]? Your pictures are so exciting and we just can't wait to get to Barcelona.

flahagen: Thank you SO much for taking your time to do this - I've loved every minute of it. We'll be on her last Med cruise of the season in November' date=' with the same itinerary as yours. [b']Can you tell me when your formal nights were?[/b] I apologize if you mentioned this already, but I couldn't find it with a search. Thanks again!

CintiPam: You are a wonderful ambassador for cruising and travel! BTW' date=' happy belated anniversary to you and Mrs. Terry. Pam BTW, [b']enjoy the Venice sailaways while you can; a new port much farther out of town is planned[/b] in the next decade to avoid the damage done by all the sail-ins and sailaways!

Appreciate the nice and kind comments. On these follow-up items/questions, here is more:

1. Excursions?: Nothing seems too bad for what we did. Ship tours are good in detailing what's involved and required. They know many on cruise ships are older and try to avoid things being too intense. Clearly there's lots of walking involved, especially on doing things "on your own" in great cities such as in Barcelona.

2. Formal nights?: We had three. The first was on the second night as we sailed between Villefranche and the Pisa port. Second was as we sail from Naples on the way to during that sea day as we moved towards Kotor. We had two sea days sailing back from Dubrovnik. On the first of those (June 17), we had our final formal night on the next to last evening for our cruise.

3. New Venice Docking: Good advance "warning" by Pam on the coming new cruise harbor in Venice. We saw as we sailed in certain construction in connection with the floating/rising sea wall being built to protect the town. Venice is sinking and there was some water on San Marco Square at night as it was full moon time. As I understand, in the fall, things get more challenging there with the flooded streets. Glad we have seen Venice again and gotten to do that great sail-in and sail-out for the first time. It's an awesome experience and so much fun!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,477 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

To:TLCOhio

Thanks so much for the wonderful review and pictures of your cruise.

We are taking the exact cruise in November on the Solstice so this gives me some great ideas of what to expect and some excursions to consider.

Your review is just getting me more excited as it is down to just over 4 months to go.

We have 3 private tours booked with some other cruisecritic members.

One in Rome, one in Naples and one in Pompei (whichever the port is there, I can't remember).

In Venice I think we will do our own thing and I think we will pick the same tour as you in Montenagro. Sounds like in Dobrovenic you walked around the walled city and took the cable car ride to the top of the mountain.

What tour company did you use in Nice?

Thanks again for all your input I feel like I just got back from your cruise.

And by the way I am looking at doing the Norway, Artic Circle cruise on Celebrity for next June so I will also look at your review so I can get some ideas on that trip also.

Again thanks for the wonderful review.

Hi Terry,

I have already posted once regarding your fabulous photos and a question regarding the specialty restaurants.

I have another question regarding our passports. Do we need them in any of the ports or can we leave them safely in our safe on the ship? Do we need copies of the passport with us in case of a problem? What about our driver's license? Do we need to take that off the ship into the ports?

How safe did you feel with your valuables off the ship? What did you use for a camera bag and strap for security purposes? We are thinking of getting a pacsafe strap. Wonder if that would help?

Hi Terry, I have already posted once regarding your fabulous photos and a question regarding the specialty restaurants. I have another question regarding our passports. Do we need them in any of the ports or can we leave them safely in our safe on the ship? Do we need copies of the passport with us in case of a problem? What about our driver's license? Do we need to take that off the ship into the ports? How safe did you feel with your valuables off the ship? What did you use for a camera bag and strap for security purposes? We are thinking of getting a pacsafe strap. Wonder if that would help?

Grumpy100: To:TLCOhio. Thanks so much for the wonderful review and pictures of your cruise. We are taking the exact cruise in November on the Solstice so this gives me some great ideas of what to expect and some excursions to consider. Your review is just getting me more excited as it is down to just over 4 months to go. We have 3 private tours booked with some other cruisecritic members. One in Rome' date=' one in Naples and one in Pompei (whichever the port is there, I can't remember). In Venice I think we will do our own thing and I think we will pick the same tour as you in Montenagro. Sounds like in Dobrovenic you walked around the walled city and took the cable car ride to the top of the mountain. What tour company did you use in Nice? Thanks again for all your input I feel like I just got back from your cruise. And by the way I am looking at doing the Norway, Artic Circle cruise on Celebrity for next June so I will also look at your review so I can get some ideas on that trip also. Again thanks for the wonderful review. [/quote']

Appreciate these added comments and questions. Keep it coming! Happy to share more.

For micruiser12, the only place were we needed a photo ID was in Dubrovnik. They check to make sure you have one as you exit the port area. Some time back a cruiser without any ID had too much to drink and could not be identified. So with the large numbers in that port, they want to make sure any "lost soles" can be ID'd, if needed. We also carry with us a photo copy of our passport, plus a copy of our travel insurance, IF and IF. Didn't need those items, but it helps to carry some added items in case of some emergency. Didn't feel any "safety problems" in any ports during our cruise. We didn't do anything in main Naples. There, unfortunately, they have an "image problem" because that city can be challenging, if you're not careful in some areas. I use a camera bag that straps around my front tummy and holds the added lenses. Just a regular strap around my neck with my camera. Everything felt fine, easy and safe as we walked around Barcelona, Rome, Venice, etc. We did lots of walking around and explore in these and other cities.

For Grumpy100, your plans for Rome, Naples/Pompeii, etc., sound good and solid. Yes, we loved walking around in Dubrovnik. Don't miss walking the wall there. It was totally awesome and super wonderful. Fortunately, we had great weather there, plus not too crowded. That panoramic cab ride up to the top, overlooking the town and coast was super great, also, there. Didn't take the cable car there. Good luck on doing the Arctic/fjord, Norway cruise. It's a spectacular area.

From our June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik, these postings are now at 17,489 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,580 views.

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

I just found this great site to determine how many ships will be in port on a certain day. Mostly what I expected- only Solstice in Nice and Kotor. Five in Dobrovnik. That can't be good.

http://cruisett.com/ports.php

Great that you looked at the port "traffic" for each of your stops on the Solstice. That helps you plan and prepare accordingly. Some of these website are not always 100% accurate, but they provide a rough idea.

It looks as if you'll have a busy day in Dubrovnik. One of the other big "unknown" will be on your weather. If it's hot and crowded, things are not as nice and wonderful as what we experienced. BUT, it's a great city with unique architecture and views. Make the best of things. You might consider a "country" or nearby option in the morning and then more of the city in the afternoon. In some cases, the early crowds will thin out some by that point.

I know weather is always unpredictable, but since I have only been to the carribean I don't have much reference to nights on the ship. Does it cool down very much? Packing is one of my biggest question marks. Any advice?

I know weather is always unpredictable, but since I have only been to the carribean I don't have much reference to nights on the ship. Does it cool down very much? Packing is one of my biggest question marks. Any advice?

Packing and the weather? Both are interesting and challenging questions!! Then, since this is your first cruise to Europe adds to the interesting mix. You didn't say exactly when you are traveling, or if you are male or female, your age range, etc. Tell us more! I'm assuming your on a Solstice cruise in the Med, taking around twelve days.

My key suggestion is to focus on practical, comfort, what works, etc. Don't worry about the "fashion show", impressing others, having something different every day, etc. These Europe cruises tend to be busy, lots of port intensity, etc. Unless, like us where we had American Airlines Gold Status and could check two bags each without added cost, that extra luggage could add to your billing charges. You've got to pack smart and get multiple use out of many of your clothing items. On weather in the summer, the days could be, if lucky, in the mid 70's to 80 range as we had. Or, it's Italy in the summer, and it could get up in the 90's, plus lots of humidity. In the evenings, it could cool a little, maybe, but not that cool. On the ship, they keep things comfortable, but in the ship dining rooms, you might want something as a layer in case that's too cool for your personal tastes or needs.

For some ports in the Carib, you can see a local old fort, shop some tee-shirt shops, see a beach, etc. OK options, but not huge in their range and diversity. BUT, in some key ports in Europe, your options are huge and impressive. That requires more advance research and planning for what you will do each day. Also, some of the churches won't let you in with tank tops, short-shorts, bare shoulders, etc. Planning ahead is important, depending on what you want to see and do. With more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests. Since you are new to these boards, keep reading and thinking ahead. Don't be shy on any questions. The only "dumb" question is that one you don't ask.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,928 views.

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Edited by TLCOhio

Anyone use Celebrity transfer, we are flying in day of cruise? Also, read they hold passport?

We didn't use the Celebrity transfer. Our friends used it at the end of the cruise for getting from the ship to the airport for their late morning departure. Worked fine. In Barcelona, their airport is nice, fairly close to town, etc. Personally, I would take a cab to the port docking area. It will be cheaper and easy. Lots of cabs with good drivers in Barcelona based on our experiences. Don't know if you are arriving from a location in Europe or coming on a trans-Atlantic flight, but I would suggest, if possible getting into Barcelona a day early. It's a great city and that allows a little extra safety margin in the event of any flight or luggage delays.

On the passports, NO, they didn't take or keep those. Check in was smooth, simple and easy.

Thanks for your reply. We are leaving out of Barcelona this month to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We get 2 suitcases each also, but we don't want to be any more encumbered than necessary.

Do men need long pants to get in the churches? We are Floridians, so the heat won't be that much of a challenge. We have been to Europe several times, but not cruising and not in the summer. We are also a decade older. Lots to think about is right!

Hi Terry

Firstly many thanks for the great pictures and information on this cruise. You have been really helpful and informative. We are going on the same cruise on 25th July to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversay and first 'nice' holiday without the boys!

I know it was asked earlier on in the thread, but I couldn't find the answer. Do you think the drinks package worthwhile on such a port intensive cruise? We like a couple of drinks before dinner and some nice wine and perhaps the odd Irish coffee, but obviously don't want to spoil the following day! Not sure what the prices are since May?

Many thanks

Many "thanks" to you, Terry, and to your wife, for all the time you've devoted (and she's allowed you to devote....haha) to this fantastic, extremely helpful review. Great job...although I suspect this "job" has also been a "joy" for you...your love of traveling shows. Also, a very Happy "belated" Anniversary, to you both! We booked this same cruise/itinerary (sailing 9/5) this past week, (to celebrate our 33rd anniversary) and I'm still doing my "happy dance"! I've spent the last day and a half reading each and every blog of yours....very enjoyable, and the pictures are simply SUPER!! :D

Do men need long pants to get in the churches? We are Floridians, so the heat won't be that much of a challenge. We have been to Europe several times, but not cruising and not in the summer. We are also a decade older. Lots to think about is right!

Appreciate your super nice comments from you and the others. Will try to follow-up on your question and the others as much as possible. Having a few computer challenges today. If not today, will follow-up on the others by tomorrow.

On the "dress standards" for men, things do seem a little looser for them versus what is done for women. The covered shoulder seems to be the bigger requirement. In many of the churches, men can be OK with regular shorts. Much depends on the size and importance of the church, the weather outside, etc. At St. Peter's in Rome, we were going down in the super significant Scavi, two levels under the main church, and I had on long pants with a regular collared shirt. For women, capri's will work. For some churches, longer shorts will be OK. The bare shoulders seem to be the big thing, plus any short-shorts. Hope this helps.

Lots to think about plan, but in most cases, things will fall together and work out well.

Hi Terry. Firstly many thanks for the great pictures and information on this cruise. You have been really helpful and informative. We are going on the same cruise on 25th July to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversay and first 'nice' holiday without the boys! I know it was asked earlier on in the thread, but I couldn't find the answer. Do you think the drinks package worthwhile on such a port intensive cruise? We like a couple of drinks before dinner and some nice wine and perhaps the odd Irish coffee, but obviously don't want to spoil the following day! Not sure what the prices are since May? Many thanks

The quick answer is "NO", we didn't think that drinks package would be worth it for us and our interests, needs. Being so port intensive is a key factor, as you wisely noted. A few drinks are nice for us, but at that roughly $58 a day cost, WOW, you'd need to drink lots and lots to reach that break-even point, EVERY DAY!!!! Signing bills is a little bit of a pain, but I was happy to do "pay as we go" and not have dropped the "BIG BUCKS" on a drinks package. We have been on Seabourn and Silversea where drinks are included, without added cost, but we just don't drink that much, even when "free", to say we needed to have it with Celebrity. Hope this helps. Keep the good questions coming.

The quick answer is "NO", we didn't think that drinks package would be worth it for us and our interests, needs. Being so port intensive is a key factor, as you wisely noted. A few drinks are nice for us, but at that roughly $58 a day cost, WOW, you'd need to drink lots and lots to reach that break-even point, EVERY DAY!!!! Signing bills is a little bit of a pain, but I was happy to do "pay as we go" and not have dropped the "BIG BUCKS" on a drinks package. We have been on Seabourn and Silversea where drinks are included, without added cost, but we just don't drink that much, even when "free", to say we needed to have it with Celebrity. Hope this helps. Keep the good questions coming.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/q

You really don't have to drink "lots and lots" to benefit from the drink package. We had the premium package on our recent 12 day Med. cruise (same itinerary as Terry's) and found it worked quite well. We did not keep track of if we were "ahead" or not. However, we drank specialty teas and coffee, plus premium water which we took with us at ports and had with dinner. A martini ($12.00) plus 2 glasses of wine during the evening ($12.00 ea) and that cost is easily met. We were on vacation, and while we kept in mind that we had busy days in port, and were not partying til all hours, we did enjoy drinks, etc. that we would not normally indulge in.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/q

You really don't have to drink "lots and lots" to benefit from the drink package. We had the premium package on our recent 12 day Med. cruise (same itinerary as Terry's) and found it worked quite well. We did not keep track of if we were "ahead" or not. However, we drank specialty teas and coffee, plus premium water which we took with us at ports and had with dinner. A martini ($12.00) plus 2 glasses of wine during the evening ($12.00 ea) and that cost is easily met. We were on vacation, and while we kept in mind that we had busy days in port, and were not partying til all hours, we did enjoy drinks, etc. that we would not normally indulge in.

Many thanks both for the help. I think that a drinks package would be useful for us as its one more thing we dont need to think about and we do like a cocktail and to try things that we dont normally do!:o All the advice and help has been really useful and I think we have at last decided what we are doing each day and booked accordingly - really looking forward to the cruise, only 2 weeks to go :D

Many thanks both for the help. I think that a drinks package would be useful for us as its one more thing we dont need to think about and we do like a cocktail and to try things that we dont normally do!:o All the advice and help has been really useful and I think we have at last decided what we are doing each day and booked accordingly - really looking forward to the cruise, only 2 weeks to go :D

Hope you have a great time!

Texed: Wonderful pictures and commentary. Thanks!

billyboy41: Many "thanks" to you' date=' Terry, and to your wife, for all the time you've devoted (and she's allowed you to devote....haha) to this fantastic, extremely helpful review. Great job...although [b']I suspect this "job" has also been a "joy" for you...your love of traveling shows[/b]. Also, a very Happy "belated" Anniversary, to you both! We booked this same cruise/itinerary (sailing 9/5) this past week, (to celebrate our 33rd anniversary) and I'm still doing my "happy dance"! I've spent the last day and a half reading each and every blog of yours....very enjoyable, and the pictures are simply SUPER!!

The drinks pacakage options are . . . a "personal choice" depending on your budget/wallet size, travel style, etc. What works best for one person is not always the ideal for another. If you don't drink as much, the good news is that you pay less overall in your cruise pricing. As always, there are many trade-offs, pro-con factors to consider. Good luck to parktop on your upcoming cruise.

Appreciate the nice and kind comments from our Texas friend and billyboy41. YES, my wife, as times, did feel a little like a "widow" to me, my camera and the computer, but we work through this "things". It is fun to have the various pictures to re-live and remember this fun and these travels. Been off of the computer for a couple days. Catching up now. Keep the good questions and comments rolling along. Still have more pictures and comments to post.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 46,194 views.

Loved your commentary, as I did on your past Crystal cruise. We have sailed on Crystal twice, and recently sailded on the Eclipse. Booked the Eclipse again for next year, with kids and grandkids. And we are considering another Crystal for next May

I am curious as to your comparison between the 2 lines. Of course Crystal is "better", but I'm not sure it is 3-4 times "better". Your thoughts?

On the passports, NO, they didn't take or keep those. Check in was smooth, simple and easy.

Terry, was this on your Venice cruise? We boarded next after your sailing and they collected our passports on check in, and passed them out to our cabins a few days before we disembarked.

Terry, was this on your Venice cruise? We boarded next after your sailing and they collected our passports on check in, and passed them out to our cabins a few days before we disembarked.

YES, remember it well!! Our passports were kept everyday in the safe in our cabin during our cruise. They didn't collect them at check-in and return later. Maybe it was because you were visiting Greece or Turkey. Not sure why they did yours different than ours. Seems strange.