Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

THANKS, Peter, for the follow-up, questions, comments, etc.! Here is a little more on ship's music, etc. We loved the Solstice Orchestra, their leader, Jeff, and, ALL that they did. They were all very, very good. Keep those excellent questions rolling along. Very helpful. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here’s a example for some of the “swinging”action to band on the 4th floor, central court area near by main glass elevator bank. There were not large numbers dancing, but those that did, had fun and we enjoyed the "show"!:

SolsticeDancingMainFromHigh.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

This is the lead singer of the “Cheek to Cheek” group that specialized in some jazz, big band and “songbook” pieces. Here, they are playing in the evening in that 4th floor central court area.:

SolsticeCheek2CheekSinger.jpg

Terry, Your pictures are so great that I feel that I've already been on the cruise!!! Now I can't wait to go in July. I've taken many notes. We've been to Barcelona twice before but have never been to Palau Guell; now we'll definitely go there. Thanks again :)

Sue

Thanks for your report. We are doing a 7 day Mediterranean in October and your pictures are a great preview. Although I am a litlle disappointed that we are not going to Barcelona, but there is always next time.:)

Your thread is amazing. I have a question for you--sorry if I missed the info in your posts.

How was the train into Rome? Any tips or suggestions? Does it have a St. Peter stop before Termini?

Thanks, Gary

Thank you so much for the Info on the Hotel Director. Also your continuing review and the photo's are just amazing. I am ashamed to say I take very few photo's these days other than Grandchildren!! or on other special occasions. I did a 20 night Dubai to Southampton on the Queen Elizabeth in April and I took few photo's. The older I get the more difficult it has been to control all those photo's taken over so many years.

My Son is great however and he keeps me up to date with all that is happening.

Glad that you had a good journey back home and that whilst you will be busy over the next week or so know that you will look back on this Cruise not just with your memories but also the memories you have created for those of us on this board. Once again thank you!

Sue

Great post. The photos are superb both aesthetically and technically.

I won't be able to do a similar post real time like you did. I don't plan to bring a laptop. I'll use my 80gb ipod to store my pictures (which I shoot in RAW) and I'll use an ipad for email and accessing the web.

How much ship-board internet time did you use, if I may ask.

BTW, we are on the Sept 29 Solstice sailing from Barcelona.

FYI, here are my photos from our Equinox cruise in Feb 2010.

http://tommarch.zenfolio.com/cruise2010

p.s. I have been looking for where you sign up for 3 reservations at the Specialty Restaurants at a discounted price.

TomMMD - We were on the same sailing. Celebrity didn't offer this deal in advance... only onboard. If you have a reservation already made, they can apply it to the package deal. Note that the package requires a visit to each restaurant (you can't use the discount to visit the same one three times).

Thanks for your report. We are doing a 7 day Mediterranean in October and your pictures are a great preview. Although I am a litlle disappointed that we are not going to Barcelona, but there is always next time.:)

Coolcruiser02: Thanks for the review and all the wonderful pictures!!!!!

gsb: How was the train into Rome? Any tips or suggestions? Does it have a St. Peter stop before Termini?

Andym: Terry' date=' Les Quinzes Nits is our favourite restaurant in Barca. A trip to Barcelona is not complete without a meal there. [/quote']

TomMMD: I have been looking for where you sign up for 3 reservations at the Specialty Restaurants at a discounted price.

Appreciate so much the added comments' date=' visiting, etc. Views are at nearly 11,400. Glad that so many are interested. On a couple of the questions/comments, here’s some follow-up. Still have more added photo’s to post, but have some major work things to do today, plus family visiting from Kansas.

1. For gilsan, YES, there is [b']always next trip to see and do Barcelona[/b]. It’s a great city and it is a major plus that Celebrity and other lines are using it as a starting/ending port. Their airport is handy/close and their new terminal we used is wonderful. Love Barcelona!!!!

2. Glad to hear from a fellow Ohioan, but don’t know many in Coolville. I know Ohio geographic well, but had to look it up and see that Marietta is a “suburb” of your town.

3. On the train to Rome, we used the one through the ship and it just went, as I understand, to the station right near the Vatican. The regular trains go to the central Termini location, not the ship’s. On that train that Celebrity uses, it was about 40 minutes late departing for no good reason that nearly cost us our chance to make our 9:45 am reservation for our Scavi Tour under St. Peter’s.

4. The only downside with Les Quinzes Nits is that it is very popular and there can be long lines/waits. Great place and area to be.

5. As noted, that three for $79 deal on the speciality dining places is only offered on the ship. They also had a special “deal” for the first night of 20% off for dining at Murano on that $35 charge, plus any wine, etc. My guess is that they adjust those “deals”, cruise by cruise, depending on how much advance booking they get/have. It is also my sense that earlier in the cruise, their times and reservations are more flexible than later. Trabeler gave a good summary on some of the details. Check it out. We enjoyed all three. Will have more pictures and details soon on Silk Harvest and Tuscan Grille.

THANKS! Keep the good questions and comments rolling. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi TLCOhio,

Wow truly fascinating LIVE TripLog from the Solstice... thank you ever so much for sharing with Cruise Critic (your dedication is commendable... in that there were so many other things you could have been doing instead)

As a bit of a Travel Blogger myself... I for one truly appreciate how much time and effort that you have put into this endeavour.

Haven't been to Europe... but as the others say, your photos most certainly make me want to go.

They are absolutely stunning... and unique in composition so that they are truly a piece of art.

I have my first cruise ever in January on the Solstice, so also enjoyed the many pics you had of it as well.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

And CONGRATULATIONS to you and Mrs TLCOhio... what a fantastic way to mark such a milestone occasion.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Speciality dining on the Solstice? We enjoyed it!! Here are more details on Silk Harvest and Tuscan Grille. Earlier, I had outlined and showed many visuals for our enjoyable experience with Murano.

TUSCAN GRILLE: We were here at 7 pm with a great view out the back of the Solstice as we departed from the main port near Pisa. After a visit to Lucca and other places in Tuscany, what’s better than to be in the Tuscan Grille? Be warned!!! The portion at this place are large and you need to plan and sample accordingly. You can get super stuffed here with very good food. The food and fun was almost too good here as I forgot to get more early pictures on many of the dishes we enjoyed. You’ll kind of get the idea that we liked it. I started with the Calamair Fitto Misto, then had Cioppino, main item of Filetto Mignon Rustico. Lots of good options. If you can't narrow down your choice, order both. They staff is very happy to be helpful.

SILK HARVEST: We had a nice table next to the window for the sailing out from the harbor near Rome. We always like to be BOTH enjoying food and seeing interesting sights, other ships, etc. We had some Asian beers to start out our visit here.

Each location is very different and it is hard to say and quantify which might be called “best”. Try all three, especially if they offer that three for $79 special.

THANKS for the added nice comments, etc.! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This is the sign you see as you enter the Silk Harvest dining environment.:

SolsticeSilkHarvestSign-1.jpg

Doing dining “family-style” is especially fun in an Asian-style setting. That sharing of the experience adds to the fun and interest. This first course is called “small plates” and we started with a nice mix, including interesting sauces that added much to the enjoyment.

SolsticeSilkHarvestAppitzer.jpg

Personally, sushi has not been my big favorite, but they put together a nice variety of options and the waiter did an added sauce option that was great to test and vary the flavors. Testing new things is a good value/purpose for such cruises. Fun, also!!:

SolsticeSilkHarvestSushi-1.jpg

Here was our mix of “large plate” or main items during our Silk Harvest experience. This includes the wonderful Spicy Pad Thai, Chinese Pepper Steak, Salmont/Scallop Stir-fry, etc. :

SolsticeSilkHarvestEntrees.jpg

Desserts were wonderful, including this Caramelized Banana with coconut ice cream. All "low cal", right?:

SolsticeSilkHarvestBananaDessert.jpg

Here was the skilled and helpful manager of Silk Harvest working hard on the phone. He was at table-side and added to the experience in a very positive manner.:

SolsticeSilkHarvestManager.jpg

Here’s a little more from Silk Harvest, plus some Tuscan Grille visuals.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For dolce or dessert, here is what the dark chocolate fondue appeared as you needed to tackle this “finish” at Tuscan Grille.:

SolsticeTuscanGrDessertOne-1.jpg

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

After dinner, my wife, Amy and Milt, are pictured with our great waiter, Daniel. Wonderfully fun night!!:

SolsticeTuscanGrDanielWaiter-1.jpg

In going to the speciality dining places, you walk through this area with black walls, floor and ceiling that include some interesting art work. Here’s one picture to give an example. It is a nicely done area to walk through. Pictures can't do this area justice. Very stimulating and different, in a positive manner.:

SolsticeWallFloorArt2SpecRestr-1.jpg

At the end of some tables in Silk Harvest, they have small bonzai items. Here’s one pictured with the sea in the background as we sailed along.:

SolsticeSilkHarvestBonzai.jpg

Thanks, Terry! Your pictures and commentary are fabulous! My husband and I will be on the Solstice with the same itinerary in late Sept. This really makes us more excited to visit all of these places!

Question on the 3 restaurant special. We have signed up for two at this point (Tuscan & Murano). When did they offer the 3 dinner special? The 1st day? Wonder if they will put our payment on the 1st two toward the 3 restaurant special if we want to sign up for that?

Thanks, Terry! Your pictures and commentary are fabulous! My husband and I will be on the Solstice with the same itinerary in late Sept. This really makes us more excited to visit all of these places! Question on the 3 restaurant special. We have signed up for two at this point (Tuscan & Murano). When did they offer the 3 dinner special? The 1st day? Wonder if they will put our payment on the 1st two toward the 3 restaurant special if we want to sign up for that?

YES, they gave us credit on the $35 pp we had already paid in advance for Murano against the new charge of the $79 on this overall package. It was offered during the first few days. If they are offering this special early, get signed up. If you wait too late, they might drop it later in the cruise.

THANKS for the nice comments! Your phrase of "fabulous!" sounds good. I like it. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks, Terry! Your pictures and commentary are fabulous! My husband and I will be on the Solstice with the same itinerary in late Sept. This really makes us more excited to visit all of these places!

Question on the 3 restaurant special. We have signed up for two at this point (Tuscan & Murano). When did they offer the 3 dinner special? The 1st day? Wonder if they will put our payment on the 1st two toward the 3 restaurant special if we want to sign up for that?

For the 3 restaurant special on our sailing, we were able to sign up in the check-in lobby while we were waiting for the ship to open for us, and they had tables on Deck 5 for at least the first few days.

What wonderful pictures , thank you for sharing.

I am thinking of taking the train from Villefranche to Menton, not many people seem to go there, would you recommend it? I have been to Nice and Monaco so looking for something quiet and relaxing.

What wonderful pictures , thank you for sharing. I am thinking of taking the train from Villefranche to Menton, not many people seem to go there, would you recommend it? I have been to Nice and Monaco so looking for something quiet and relaxing.

Appreciate the added comments and feed-back. Keep it coming. Will try over this weekend to post some added ship, Barcelona, etc., pictures that I didn't have time to do earlier. Just starting to get "caught up" from our trip, the return, time-zone changes, etc. Slept in to 7:30 am this morning. That's progress from having two weeks with the body clock being set/adjusted six hours ahead!

On your question of Menton, YES, we enjoyed our visit there, BUT, much depends on what ALL you have previously seen and done in this large and diverse area.

The "good news/bad news" is that there are many, many good to great options for things to do, enjoy and see in this area. Menton might not be that first or second choice. Part of the "connection" for us was being with a friend from these boards, riding the public transit to sample more of the flavor for the area, seeing something different than the larger city of Nice, etc. Personally, I would have driven to see several of the small and charming hillside villages above the Med and/or in the mountains. BUT, my wife and others didn't want to be worrying about a car, driving, etc. Nor spend a larger amount for a private tour/driver. We have loved Eze from a previous visit. The ship offered a reasonably-priced tour to St. Paul-de-Vence, but doing a bus with a big group to there wasn't our first choice, nor that "personal". Some, include Rick Steves, view St. Paul-de-Vence as a little too over-run with large tour groups and too "perfect" as just a historic, tourist site. Lots of trade-offs, factors to consider. Much is a "personal" choice to fit your style and interests. Here are some added notes, comments on Menton:

Fodors: Menton is “the most Mediterranean of the French resort towns . . . picturesque harbor skyline seems to beg artists to immortalize it . . . ceramic tiles glistening on their steeples all evoke the villages of the Italian coast. Menton is the least pretentious of the French Riviera resorts and all the more alluring for its modesty . . . the marvelous Marche Couvert (covered market) sums up Menton style with its Belle Epoque facade decorated in jewel-tone ceramics.” Gives high marks to “Paradise Found: The Magnificent Gardens of Menton”.

Rick Steves: “unrefined and unpretentious with lower prices . . . the old town blankets a hill immersed in a pastel-painted Old World scene with almost no commerce . . . small squares are alive with jazz bands playing under palm trees . . . breathtaking Mediterranean views.”

Michelin: “on the lower slopes of a picturesque natural amphitheatre of mountains . . . on the cliffs around are the remains of fortifications and human settlements going back to the Neolithic times.” Don’t miss the Tropical Gardens.

Menton’s population is 27,655 and it is 18.6 miles east of Nice. By contrast, Nice’s population is 889,000. Nice has several very good museums, an interesting old town area, etc., but it is still a large town. Having done Barcelona and with Rome, Naples, etc., upcoming, an large city visit/tour was not our highest priority here. Does this help?

Edited by TLCOhio

After the Solstice arrived back in Barcelona and we departed the ship to drop our bags at the hotel, we did not lots of fun exploring, walking around, etc. Here are some more visual highlights for this great city and why we have moved up Barcelona much, much higher near the top among our most favorite cities in the world. Having time both before and after our cruise in Barcelona was wonderful.

We first visited Barcelona in 1998 and loved the Las Ramblas. It is always busy with lots of tourists and locals, around the clock, participating in the spectacle that is Barcelona. Las Ramblas runs from the start of Placa de Catalunya and ends to the south at Port Vell at the Christopher Columbus statue. Las Ramblas runs through Barcelona’s center, with the Gothic Quarter and El Raval neighborhoods to either side. There are colorful street performers and vendors selling everything imaginable from flowers to caged birds. The architecture is such an interesting mix. Here are two of many examples for what is interesting with its buildings along this great walking place, including one of the many theatre in this area. Plus, one of the many stands with nice, fresh flowers, plants, etc.:

BarcelRamblaTheatreFront.jpg

BarcelRamblaOrientalUmbrelaBldg.jpg

BarcelFreshFlowersRambla.jpg

On the Tuesday before boarding the Solstice, we visited the famed Mercat La Boqueria and had breakfast here. WOW!!! It is easy to see why this popular Boqueria Market is not to be missed. It has a wide range of fresh meats, cheeses, produce and delicious food options to enjoy. Here is one of the beautifully stock fruit stands, a busy breakfast stand in the market and my wife and me in front of one of the stands. Yes, in a few cases, I have my picture taken. You can see why you don’t want me to be shown too often!:

BarcelMarketLadyFruitBuy.jpg

BarcelMarketBreakfastStand.jpg

BarcelTPFruitStandPix2.jpg

Here is more from wonderful Barcelona, before and after our Solstice cruise.

At the Barcelona Cathedral La Seu, their magnificent 700+ year old Basilica, there is the Cloister. There is a lush gardens and orange trees surrounding this 14th century Cloister. It is one of the most famous spots in Barcelona with its centuries old stone floor, pond and fountain. A statue of St George decorates the old fountain. Thirteen white geese are present, said to be a symbol of Santa Eulalia’s virginity. Here is a small sampling of visuals from there. Very moving and impressive!:

BarcelChurchInnerCourtyard.jpg

BarcelChurchPrayingArea.jpg

BarcelChurchSmallChapel.jpg

Placa de Catalunya now has lots of protestors camped out here, but it is a park with lots of great sculpture and nearby spectacular/interesting buildings. Here is one visual sample of small sculpture with the nearby structures in the background.:

BarcelSmallFigureParkBldgBack.jpg

There are many narrow, curved streets in these areas of Barcelona. Lots to see, enjoy and experience. :

BarcelOldTownCurvedStreet.jpg

Here’s a contrast between modern art on the major Barcelona street near the harbor and the traditional buildings in the background. Never boring in this great city.:

BarcelModernArtOldTowers.jpg

On your question of Menton, YES, we enjoyed our visit there, BUT, much depends on what ALL you have previously seen and done in this large and diverse area.

Part of the "connection" for us was being with a friend from these boards, riding the public transit to sample more of the flavor for the area, seeing something different than the larger city of Nice, etc. Personally, I would have driven to see several of the small and charming hillside villages above the Med and/or in the mountains. BUT, my wife and others didn't want to be worrying about a car, driving, etc. Nor spend a larger amount for a private tour/driver. We have loved Eze from a previous visit. The ship offered a reasonably-priced tour to St. Paul-de-Vence, but doing a bus with a big group to there wasn't our first choice, nor that "personal".

Menton’s population is 27,655 and it is 18.6 miles east of Nice. By contrast, Nice’s population is 889,000. Nice has several very good museums, an interesting old town area, etc., but it is still a large town. Having done Barcelona and with Rome, Naples, etc., upcoming, an large city visit/tour was not our highest priority here. Does this help?

Yes it does help, we are there on a Sunday and want somewhere easy to get to on public transportation without transfers so I think Menton will be a great option.

Thanks .

Yes it does help, we are there on a Sunday and want somewhere easy to get to on public transportation without transfers so I think Menton will be a great option. Thanks.

One major plus with that bus line, I think line one, as I recall, is that there is no need to change buses. Same line and bus from Villefranche to Menton and back. It was interesting to get that "sampling" for regular folks, seeing so many different sights and sites, etc.

Below are a few more visuals from wonderful Barcelona last Sunday at the end of our cruise.

Here are some more examples of the architectural variety in Barcelona, especially building domes, towers, balconies, etc. Plus, below is one of the building doors. Very interesting and artistic!!:

BarcelFlagDomeTowerTops.jpg

BarcelBalconiesDomeTopSun.jpg

BarcelDoor2Seals.jpg

Here are a couple of beach views during last Sunday in Barcelona. First, is the view looking towards the Arts Hotel, etc. Then, in the direction towards the new W Hotel.:

BarcelBeachView2ArtsHotel.jpg

BarcelBeach2WHotel.jpg

From our table having lunch near the beach, this was the view.:

BarcelBeachLunchView.jpg