Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

Terry, We are leaving for our Solstice cruise in 2 months and looking forward to it after your review. This is our second time in the Med and we are taking 2 private tours this time. Did you use ATM's to get Euros in Barcelona or Italy or did you bring them with you? Thanks, Gail

Hi, Gail, from neighboring Michigan! For us on currency, we had about thirty some euro left over from an earlier trip. That covered our cab from the airport into our hotel and little more. Then, YES, we got added euro's in Barcelona to cover paying for our private tours in Tuscany, Naples, etc. Lots of banks and ATM's in Barcelona. Generally, the ATM rates work in Europe out better than buying them ahead in the US. We didn't need to get any local currency for Dubrovnik and Montenegro. Our credit cards and euros worked fine for our specific needs there. A few places in Dubrovnik might only take local currency and/or credit cards. Let us know any added questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Edited by TLCOhio

Never mind my question on the camera - just read through your whole review so answered my question. As we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary, am wondering if we have the stamina for this trip! Would so love to do it but my husband is diabetic and uses insulin 4 times a day which could be challenging. Also, he is not able to do a lot of walking due to a heart condition. We should have retired in our 40's and gone back to work in our 60's. But - if I never get to the Mediterranean, I feel like I have visited it through you wonderful pictorial and travel log. Again, thank you so very much. One personal question - you may or may not care to answer - what would be an estimate of the amount of money you need to do all the tours, transportation, and all other misc. not including the cruise or flights to Barcelona. Feel free not to answer. Hj

What stunning pictures! I have to ask you what kind of camera you were using??? Whatever kind - I want one! Planning on this very same trip next year - hopefully. So nice to have such a great preview. Thank you so very much. Hj

shiphappy: As we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary' date=' am wondering if we have the stamina for this trip! Would so love to do it but my husband is diabetic and uses insulin 4 times a day which could be challenging. Also, he is not able to do a lot of walking due to a heart condition. We should have retired in our 40's and gone back to work in our 60's. But - if I never get to the Mediterranean, I feel like I have visited it through you wonderful pictorial and travel log. Again, thank you so very much. One personal question - you may or may not care to answer - what would be an estimate of the amount of money you need to do all the tours, transportation, and all other misc. not including the cruise or flights to Barcelona. [/quote']

Appreciate your nice comments on my pictures and report. It's been fun sharing! Good luck on your camera and upcoming trip.

On your questions about your husband, his limitations and costs for tours, transportation, the quick answer is "It depends!". We did a combination of ship tours, private tours and on our own, etc. In some ports, private tours are more available and possible. But, private tours involve a little added work lining up others to share. The "roll calls" can help you connect with those who might want to share. Other places, such as for Kotor, the ship tours are fairly affordable.

Given what I know on your situation, I would focus first on reviewing the ship tours and those options. Celebrity is very good at explaining your options and how much is needed for walking, steps, distances, etc., with each tour. Some options are half-day, some full-day. This wide range of options allows you to pick what is less intense and more doable for your husband. As a rough, rough guess, with seven ports on our cruise, you might have $125 per person per stop for each of these various "local" costs on tours, transportation, etc. That would total about $1,750 for your cruise. Clearly, it can be costing less or more, depending on what you do for lunch, which tour you pick, buying extras while in port, etc., etc. Some ports such as Pisa/Tuscany, Rome, Naples and Venice demand more time for the many, many great options in these areas. For southern France, Dubrovnik, Kotor, you might better get away with only doing a half-day tour.

Private tours can be "the best" in making things totally custom for your exact personal needs, including keeping walking at a minimum for your husband. BUT, with only two people (or maybe with another couple), that cost will probably be higher than doing ship tours. For the Pisa, Rome and Naples port stops, the RomeInLimo people will give you a better price if you are doing multiple ports with them. I would write them, mention my name and suggestion, asking for their cost options with two or four or six people. For Pisa/Tuscany, Rome and Naples/Amalfi coast, they could come up with a custom plan that allows you and your husband to see "SEE" lots and lots as your drive by the key sights, making only selected stops to minimize the walking and stress.

Does this help give you a rough idea? Other questions? Happy to share more info as needed.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 36,929 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry your pictures are beautiful! Viewing the ones from Amalfi, Sorrento and Ponsitano almost brought me to tears again, just as it did my first visit. Did you go to the restaurant/hotel at the top of Ponsitano, I can't remember the name but it was family owned and had excellent food.

Again, your eye for detail is wonderful and thank you for sharing.

Terry your pictures are beautiful! Viewing the ones from Amalfi, Sorrento and Ponsitano almost brought me to tears again, just as it did my first visit. Did you go to the restaurant/hotel at the top of Ponsitano, I can't remember the name but it was family owned and had excellent food. Again, your eye for detail is wonderful and thank you for sharing.

Appreciate your nice comments on the pictures and my eye for these details.

Yes, we were at the wonderful dining place overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast. We had a great view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Great place to eat. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com. Can post more pictures and details on this place, the owner-cook, etc., if needed or of interest.

Terry, if you could post more about specific sites you enjoyed on your Amalfi Trip and also more about the restaurant I would love to read about it. We are doing the Amalfi Tour with Romeinlimo from the Solstice on October 31. Our itinerary was supposed to be the same as yours but a few months ago they changed the order of our ports and subsitiuted Marseliies for Villafraiche. Bad move for us as we will now be in Rome on Nov1, the Catholic Holy Day, and most of the Vatican and St Peter's will be closed. We also have all our sea days at the beginning so we will be all tuckered out by the time we get back to Barcelona.

I followed your entire live blog of the trip at the time and thank you so much for posting. We are just about a month out now, as we are spending some time in Madrid and Barcelona pre and post cruise!

Oh my goodness! Your pictures are incredibly beautiful. I'm a sales person and have recently had trouble staying movitated. You just motivated me to work, work, work - make money, money, money and do a similar cruise.

I loved your pictures of Barcelona. It is on my wish list of places to visit either on a land or sea vacation.

Here are some more Solstice “life” visuals and food options from our June 7-19 cruise on the Solstice.

There was so many dessert options at that brunch buffet that I had to take five of them to avoid showing any favoritism. Got to be fair!!:

SolsticeBuffetDesserts5x.jpg

Here is the view from the back of the ship as the Solstice makes a turn in the Med with islands in the background. Loved hearing the water and watching the action at sea. Except from the last night, things were very, very calm for our sailing. It was a little bumpy that last evening. Not too bad.:

SolsticeWatchBackTurnOfShip.jpg

We did a galley tour and here is one of the staff members displaying his fine art in carving.:

SolsticeGalleyTourCarvings.jpg

During the galley tour, here is what can be done with the very good bread sticks. The bread options were good on this Solstice sailing.:

SolsticeBuffetTourBreadSticks.jpg

One of the chefs here is shown doing a cooking demo during a sea day program.:

SolsticeChefCookingDemo.jpg

Hello,

Can you tell me about the picture of the people (I'm assuming your group) sitting at the balcony overlooking the wake of the ship? Is this one of the suites on the ship? I want to try a Celebrity cruise as I've never tried Celebrity and just trying to get a feel for the ships.

Terry, if you could post more about specific sites you enjoyed on your Amalfi Trip and also more about the restaurant I would love to read about it. We are doing the Amalfi Tour with Romeinlimo from the Solstice on October 31. Our itinerary was supposed to be the same as yours but a few months ago they changed the order of our ports and subsitiuted Marseliies for Villafraiche. Bad move for us as we will now be in Rome on Nov1, the Catholic Holy Day, and most of the Vatican and St Peter's will be closed. We also have all our sea days at the beginning so we will be all tuckered out by the time we get back to Barcelona. I followed your entire live blog of the trip at the time and thank you so much for posting. We are just about a month out now, as we are spending some time in Madrid and Barcelona pre and post cruise!

Ma Bell: I have a feeling she means Il San Pietro Hotel which has a wonderful restaurant and fabulous view. Le Sirenuse could also be the one.

Sorry for our New York neighbor that Celebrity has switched your travel routing. Having those two sea-days at the end was nice for "resting up" at the end of the cruise. Marsellies is not at good as Villefranche. BUT' date=' there are some good options near Marsellies for seeing Aix and certain Provence places that could work well. Lots of good options for southern France. Not good on your Rome timing, but there are lots and lots of great potentials there in addition to the Vatican.

Ma Bell is probably right that maybe one of places mentioned could have been different than where we had our great lunch overlooking Positano. Our place was high, high up the mountain. Positano has lots of nice options and potentials.

In a later post, I will have more info, pictures and background on where we dined overlooking Positano. Let me know any other questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 39,293 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Oh my goodness! Your pictures are incredibly beautiful. I'm a sales person and have recently had trouble staying movitated. You just motivated me to work, work, work - make money, money, money and do a similar cruise. I loved your pictures of Barcelona. It is on my wish list of places to visit either on a land or sea vacation.

chloedmom: Hello' date=' Can you tell me about the picture of the people (I'm assuming your group) sitting at the balcony overlooking the wake of the ship? Is this one of the suites on the ship? I want to try a Celebrity cruise as I've never tried Celebrity and just trying to get a feel for the ships. [/quote']

For our Orange County/Calif. friend, I appreciate your nice and very kind comments on the pictures, postings, etc. YES! . . . work, work to be able to travel more. There are lots of cruise bargains out there right now as some of the better ships/cruise lines are working hard to fill them up. The economy is challenged and air fares can be high. That makes it easier in Europe for late this fall and/or next spring to find some really good deal. Keep working hard and planning. Overall, we were very well pleased with Celebrity and these Solstice-type ships.

On that couple shown on the back of ship, here's the background you requested. Don't know those people. They weren't part of our group or people we knew. They were sitting on the top, back deck as were sailing between mainland Italy and Sicily. I just used them as a "visual prop" to frame the view, capture the moment, etc., for that picture. They were sitting in Sunset Bar area near the "grass lawn" part of the top ship. They were not sitting on a balcony. Does this help? Happy to answer any other questions.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 39,293 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

As requested and promised, here's more on where we dined along the Amalfi Coast. La Tagliata is built on three terraces with great views of Positano and this dramatic coastline. Overlooking organic vegetable gardens and vineyards, these super fresh items are grown and used in the restaurant’s kitchen. This local wine is produced without any chemicals and has a special taste that highlights this part of the visit to Italy, the world’s largest wine producer. La Tagliata is operated by Dora and Don Luigi. They serve handmade pasta made by Signora Dora, with her son Vincenzo working along side her in the kitchen. Two other children, Peppino and Antonietta, serve tables and greet guests with warm, friendly, family hospitality.

Overlooking Positano from a high-point in the mountains along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com. Here is an overall view for one of the dining areas with its great vista, then Dora Luigi giving our guide-drive Carmine a big hug, a sampling of the many desserts served to our table and our group smiling with satisfaction to the camera.:

AmalfiDiningView2.jpg

AmalfiChefCarmineHug.jpg

PositanoDessertOptions.jpg

AmalfiDineViewTable.jpg

Driving up from Positano to our dining place, this was one of the many great views of this charming town, its buildings and the water.:

PositanoDrivingUpMtn.jpg

Given some of the questions and interest on the Amalfi Coast, here are some added postings and information on Ravello and nearby locations and sights. These are some of my photos that have not previously been posted.

Ravello sits high above the water overlooking the great views of the Amalfi Coast. This charming town of 2500 people has many interesting buildings. Shown is a sample of its structures, flowers and views to nearby, terraced hillsides. In the summer months, the "Ravello Festival" takes place in Ravello. The Festival started in 1953 in honor of Richard Wagner, who did inspired writing at this location. Ravello was founded in the 5th century as a shelter location against Barbarian invaders at the end of the Western Roman Empire. In the 9th century Ravello was an important town of the maritime republic of Amalfi. In the 20th century, many famous artists, including Virginia Woolf, Greta Garbo, Joan Mirò, Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams and Leonard Bernstein, visited and stayed in Ravello.:

RavelloFlowersBldgViews.jpg

From Ravello’s high location of 1200 feet overlooking the sea, this is the view looking to the east along this highly popular Amalfi Coast.:

RavelloView2EastCoast.jpg

Just west of Ravello, here is the coastal town of Atrani with this distinctive church tower and other buildings shown.:

AmalfiAtraniTower.jpg

B] Near Ravello overlooking the Amalfi Coast is this former home of famed American author and political activist Gore Vidal. For many decades, Vidal divided his time between Italy and California. In 2003, the now 85-year-old Vidal sold this 5,000-square-foot Italian Villa, called La Rondinaia (The Swallow's Nest), perching high above and overlooking the coast and water. Many celebrities visited Vidal and stayed at his residence.: [/b]

AmalfiGoreVidalHome.jpg

Along the Amalfi Coast, we stopped at the pottery shop that overlooked the water. This sampling shows the great variety of styles and designs they offered.:

AmalfiPotterySeaExamps.jpg

In driving to Ravello, our tour guide-driver stopped at this local fruit stand to get some samples to share with our group.:

AmalfiFruitStandDriveBy.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Here are a few more pictures and information for Amalfi and its famed coast. Super scenic and wonderful here!!

Amalfi is a key and historic town that gives its name to this famed and scenic coast surrounded by dramatic cliffs and spectacular scenery. Between 839 and around 1200, the Duchy of Amalfi existed as major maritime and trading power. It rivaled Pisa and Genoa in domestic prosperity and maritime importance, before the later rise of Venice and Amalfi’s defeat by the Republic of Pisa. The Amalfi Coast is known for its production of limoncello liquor. Its lemons are grown in terraced gardens along the entire coast. In the 1920s and 1930s, Amalfi was a popular holiday destination for the British upper class and aristocracy. In 1997, the Amalfi Coast was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as a cultural landscape. Below is a few of the town of Amalfi from its western side.:

AmalfiTownViewFromHigher.jpg

Within the town of Amalfi, here are two different wall/tile art items to illustrate their history and a map of this coastal area.:

AmalfiWallMapHistory.jpg

AmalfiTileWallHistory.jpg

Near Amalfi, here is a coastal view showing an old stone tower and the terraced mountain-sides used for growing citrus and other items.:

AmalfiTerracingTowerStone.jpg

Thank you for the wonderful pictures. They always please. Terry from Tenn but living in Texas.

Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures. I like your first name!! It's looks us two Terry's have three great states well covered and represented. Texas is fortunately getting a little rain and maybe weather relief is coming for folks there. It's been a tough summer for Texas.

Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures. I like your first name!! It's looks us two Terry's have three great states well covered and represented. Texas is fortunately getting a little rain and maybe weather relief is coming for folks there. It's been a tough summer for Texas.

Your pictures should be an advertisement for Celebrity. DH and I, also, lived in Ohio the first four years we were married. So, yes, that's three great states but I still wish I were home in ET.

Out of curiosity, did you bring anything for the folks back home? I was thinking of bringing back food items like chocolates or something... Didnt want to buy trinkets. Any recommendations? Thanks again!

Tenn4ever: Your pictures should be an advertisement for Celebrity. DH and I' date=' also, lived in Ohio the first four years we were married. So, yes, that's three great states but I still wish I were home in ET. [/quote']

Good question by drco. I checked with my wife who did more of that shopping. I "abstain" mostly from such capitalistic activities and focus on the pictures. It's cheaper and easier on the wallet! We got some nice ceramics in Italy (they produce great, beautiful stuff!!). At a Sunday street market in Barcelona, we got some ear rings and a bracelet for our daughter-in-law directly from an artist who made them. In Tuscany's Lucca, we got a cute tee-shirt for our grandson. Tuscany is the home of the author Carlo Collodi, who created Pinocchio. This tee-shirt plays on the Pinocchio theme. You can probably get chocolates in this area, but once you've bought the great stuff in Belgium, it hard to settle for "less" in another area of the world.

Appreciate the added kind comments from our Tenn/Texas friend. Hopefully that check is in the mail from Celebrity for this type of "advertising". Glad to know you've also got some great roots in Ohio.

Over 40,000 views!!: Appreciate those who have tuned in to see these postings. On last summer's Norway coast cruise, we are over 50,000 views. But, that's taken 14 months to achieve. With this postings, it's been about three months since we completed the sailing. It's fun sharing the experiences and pictures. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest. No extra charge!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 50,941 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry,

Love the new photos. You continue to Amaze me! Some people may think that going to such gorgeous places ensures you can "take" gorgeous photos. I wish it was true :)

Unfortunately I am still not able to email you. Tried when you sent your last email and then again tonight. Not sure what is wrong....cross border issues ?!? hehe

Cheers,

Lisa (and Len)

Terry, Love the new photos. You continue to Amaze me! Some people may think that going to such gorgeous places ensures you can "take" gorgeous photos. I wish it was true. Unfortunately I am still not able to email you. Tried when you sent your last email and then again tonight. Not sure what is wrong....cross border issues ?!? hehe Cheers,

Lisa (and Len)

Appreciate, Lisa, your follow-up note. I had "fixed" my e-mail spam filter earlier, BUT, I forgot to SAVE that change. Now it's done, again, and this time it is saved!! Try to e-mail me again. Sorry for my goof-ups and how that setting was done by AOL and their filtering system.

On photos, I have posted some previous tips and secrets. You're right that it's not as easy as it might seem. Three of the best tips are: 1) Take lots of pictures at a variety of angles and views. That improves your odds of getting some of the "best of the best". 2) Only show people the best pictures, don't bore them with average ones and/or lots of duplicative visuals. 3) Edit your pictures on your computer to improve the framing, technical details, etc.

Keep the good comments and questions rolling along.

Terry,

Love the new photos. You continue to Amaze me! Some people may think that going to such gorgeous places ensures you can "take" gorgeous photos. I wish it was true :)

Unfortunately I am still not able to email you. Tried when you sent your last email and then again tonight. Not sure what is wrong....cross border issues ?!? hehe

Cheers,

Lisa (and Len)

My late mother, when in her late 70's, went on a holiday with a new camera and returned with a magnificent Italy wide pictures of her iris. True