Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

Terry, A quick question on the Solstice. Is there a washing line in the bathroom? Andy

We had read prior to our trip that that there was no wash line, limited hooks for hanging items, etc. YES, sorry to say it was true. Fortunately, I was able to bring enough underwear to worry about doing the wash-out, hang-up and dry out. Having more places to hang things would be helpful in the cabins.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I wanted to provide a little more details and visuals on our Saturday, July 11, adventure from Naples. This is especially to spotlight our great guide-driver from Romeinlimo, Carmine! Our group of eight experienced a totally wonderful day. First, it was driving through the mountains south of Naples that they call “the little Switzerland” as we moved towards Ravello. Carmine told us about his love of Naples and this whole area. There were great Italian songs on the CD as we went through the mountains. Carmine stopped to get and share some fresh fruit from a roadside stand and told us a few jokes, including what Italians view as what the letters in the name of their car company, FIAT, mean. He said that car name means “Fix It Again, Tony”. F. I. A. T.!! We were riding in a nice Mercedes van.

When in the Naples-Amalfi area in 1999, we had not seen this part of the region. We previously had lunch overlooking the beach at Chez Black in Positano, but we had not gone farther east from that point to see these areas that we reached this year. It was wonderful to see so much more during this visit. Ravello overlooks the Gulf of Salerno and the Mediterranean. Ravello is famed as a place where Wagner composed many music pieces, famous (Gore Vidal) lived/wrote at La Rondinaia (The Swallow's Nest) and many others visited for the great views. Then we went through several of the charming towns along this coast, including Atrani and Amalfi, traveling narrow, twisted routes with steep terraces above and below us. It was great to have Carmine do the driving while I was taking pictures and the others enjoyed the great views and sights. We wanted to have lunch in a smaller, less tourist place and Carmine came up with the perfect, super scenic location.

Our lunch location was right above Positano as the sun came out in full force to offer the best views one could ever hope for or seek. Lunch? It was a super treat, family-style, plus views, wine, drinks, etc.!!! Then, we drove to the Bay of Naples side, through parts of Sorrento on the way to the historic area of Herculaneum. Great and enjoyable day. Just wanted to make sure that Carmine and Romeinlimo got proper credit for doing a wonderful job that was a highlight of our trip. Here are more pictures to document that it was really as great as claimed.

As he drove through the “Little Switzerland” mountains, Carmine was driving, singing, telling us fun stories, making sure we did the right and best photo stops, etc. :

NaplesCarmineDrivingMtns.jpg

At our lunch place beautifully above Positano, here is Carmine posing next to the sign at this enjoyable stop. :

NaplesCarmineAtLunch.jpg

This was one of the great views of Positano as we did a photo stop just east of this beautiful location. :

PositanoOverall2011View.jpg

Near Ravello and at other locations along the Amalfi Coast, we saw many examples of how the mountainside were terraced and used to crow citrus and other products.:

AmalfiTerracedMtsSides.jpg

From our dining location, here was another example of the spectacular view towards Positano and west along this scenic coastal regional of Italy.:

PositanoDiningOverviewTwo.jpg

Were people happy? Here’s Amy and Milt from Central Ohio smiling and enjoying Ravello.:

NaplesAmyMiltVeryHappyRavello.jpg

Venice transportation: We are planning to see the city on our own. Is the ship shuttle adaquate for going to the center of the city and how long is the ride from the ship to the center. Will we be fine doing the sightseeing on our own? Thanks

Yes, the ship shuttle worked well for us. My view and experiences have been that you can much or most in Venice on your own. Clearly St. Marks and the Doge's Palace are the two key must-sees, in my opinion. The overall "star" is Venice itself! Walk around, explore, see the architecture, people, history, etc. Buy your shuttle ticket early so you get on an early ticket group number. Enjoy the evening in Venice when many of the tour groups and crowds clear out. Go back early in the am to see more before the crowds grow. Read up in advance so that you better appreciate and understand what you are seeing, why it's important, etc. Does this help?

Edited by TLCOhio

Thank you for the fabulas review. I love the way you write. You made me feel as though I were there. Can you tell me the cost of the driver and did the ship offer any type of driving tours.

Thanka for the fabulous pictures. Does the ship shuttle in Venice take you down the Grand Canal? Did you prepurchase an entrance voucher to San Marcos? Lindy

rachelli: What hotel did you stay at in Venice? and your opinion of it. We may do the same thing. Who was your guide tour in Villefrance and were they good? Thank You' date=' Rachelli now in Fla--originally from Michigan. [/quote']

tright: Thank you for the fabulas review. I love the way you write. You made me feel as though I were there. Can you tell me the cost of the driver and did the ship offer any type of driving tours.

Appreciate the follow-ups and nice comments. Here's some added details/responses:

1. On the ship shuttle in Venice' date=' [b']NO, it is does not go down the Grand Canal.[/b] That was take much longer in time and that routing does get fairly congested. That's the downside to doing the ship shuttle. You miss that super scenic routing down the Grand Canal.

2. Not sure on your question about an "entrance voucher to San Marcos". San Marco Square is the large, open plaza in the heart of Venice. St. Mark's church does not have an admission charge, but there can be lines there as people wait to get in there. Tell me more!

3. We didn't stay at a hotel in Venice. The ship was overnight there and that's where we were. Our guide was a friend who lives in Monaco. She was great, but is not in that business of doing such commercial tours. Sorry! You can check the France Boards at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593

to check for private guide and other options in that area.

4. On costs, since we did two tours with RomeInLimo, there was a discount on the second tour. As I re-call, the first tour in Tuscany for six was around 550 euro. On the second, with eight, it was about 450 euro. These costs, per person, were comparable to a ship's tour. BUT, the big, BIG difference was being in a smaller van (not a large bus with 35-50 people). PLUS, in a small group, things are so much more "flexible" in being able to make the tour fit YOUR personal interests/needs, stop when you need it, getting to know and talk together, etc. AND, with a firm like RomeInLimo, there's a great focus on customer satisfaction. With ship tours, it's "just another group". Ship guides are OK, but you generally don't get the personal relationship/connection/motivation as we have done with many of our past, smaller personal/private tours. Some ships will offer private tours, but the prices are high, high!!

Keep the great questions rolling along! Happy to share more!

Terry,

Thanks for your review and photos! We leave for our Mediterranean cruise on the Ruby Princess in 2 weeks. I just found your thread through your Rome in Limo post yesterday. I am so glad that I did because it has been very helpful and enjoyable!

Terry, Have so enjoyed your pics--you are a fabulous photographer and blogger. We are doing your cruise in September. Was wondering how long it takes you to get from the ship to the Doges Palace for your tour. I was thinking of doing the 9:55 a.m. in order to have plenty of time to get back to the ship but wondering how long I should allow for the trip to there so as to not be late....either via water taxi or ship shuttle. Any helpful ideas on that? Thanks so much!

Terry, Have so enjoyed your pics--you are a fabulous photographer and blogger. We are doing your cruise in September. Was wondering how long it takes you to get from the ship to the Doges Palace for your tour. I was thinking of doing the 9:55 a.m. in order to have plenty of time to get back to the ship but wondering how long I should allow for the trip to there so as to not be late....either via water taxi or ship shuttle. Any helpful ideas on that? Thanks so much!

flcruiser3: Terry' date=' Thanks for your review and photos! We leave for our Mediterranean cruise on the Ruby Princess in 2 weeks. I just found your thread through your Rome in Limo post yesterday. I am so glad that I did because it has been very helpful and enjoyable! [/quote']

Appreciate the nice comments and feed-back.

On the shuttle back from near San Marco Square in central Venice, I re-checked the exact Solstice printed "rules". The last shuttle leaves that point at 1 pm in order to be back at the ship around 1:20 pm and prior the 2 pm sail-away. The Doge's Palace is about a 10 minute walk from the shuttle departure point. So, YES, you should have plenty of time to do that 9:55 am Doge's Palace tour. I think that tour is around an hour or so.

Let me know any other questions. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There is a site that allows you to book access to St. Mark's Basillica. The price to skip the lines is 1 euro pp. The website is http://www.venetoinside.com/en/saint. It seems like a good idea as our time in Venice is limited. I am thinking of taking the vaparetto on the first day to see the Grand Canal and the ship's shuttle the next morning as we have a reservation for the Doge's Palace Secret Itinerary Tour.

There is a site that allows you to book access to St. Mark's Basillica. The price to skip the lines is 1 euro pp. The website is http://www.venetoinside.com/en/saint. It seems like a good idea as our time in Venice is limited. I am thinking of taking the vaparetto on the first day to see the Grand Canal and the ship's shuttle the next morning as we have a reservation for the Doge's Palace Secret Itinerary Tour.

TomMMD: More about the Solstice: I will have an iPad and would like to show the day's photos on the tv.... Possible? What kind of inputs does the tv have?

Two good follow-up items. First' date=' on St. Mark's[/i'], that "line-skip" might be a good idea to consider. I did hook-up on a small group tour with a guide that got us in, up to the second level, more background info and details about this fascinating and historic place, etc. If you do St. Mark's on your own, it's important to do certain advance reading and research so that you can better understand ALL that is inside there in this huge treasure of history, art and architecture. The only down-side on your plan to do the vaparetto on the first day to see the Grand Canal is that there is some time involved getting from where the ship docks in order to board the "bus" up the Grand Canal. Those vaparetto boats can also be fairly crowded at times. And, slow. BUT, the views along the Grand Canal are super wonderful.

Second, on the Solstice room TV, it is a 32" Samsung flat screen model. It seemed to be, as you would expect on a ship only 30 months old, to be fairly new and tech up to speed. In checking a room photo, there are no plugs or hook-ups showing on the front of the TV. I am sure those are on the bottom of the flat screen and easy to reach. My guess, however, is that there is some type of a three-plug type of RCA option there. So to go from an iPad to the TV would probably require some type of right adapter to make it work that way. I have a MacBook Pro laptop and to connect with a TV requires that right hook-up device/connection.

Below is one of the Venice sail-in pictures of San Marco Square that I didn't get a chance to post earlier due to ship technical upload problems. Plus, a few others for Venice that were not posted earlier. Venice is a great place and cruise highlight!!

THANKS for the interest! Keep it rolling with any added questions, comments. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Don’t miss the Solstice sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

From the interior of Venice’s St Mark’s, here is another view that I did not post earlier showing how much on this church is covered in these opulent, gilded Byzantine mosaics. Notice the design details in the floor of this famed Basilica.:

VeniceStMarksInteriorDetails.jpg

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

With the Solstice schedule, having an overnight there allows time to sample the evening orchestras on San Marco Square playing to the crowds. Great fun at night there in a wonderful setting.:

VeniceSanMarcoNightBand.jpg

At Campo San Moisè, this is an old, traditional light that is posted at or near a gondola station in Venice.:

VeniceNightLightBridge.jpg

Fabulous blog, Terry--and thanks for all the work doing it. I'm amazed how you can remember so much detail, and so grateful to see much in the gorgeous photos that we've missed traveling the same paths you have.. just wonderful.

Fabulous blog, Terry--and thanks for all the work doing it. I'm amazed how you can remember so much detail, and so grateful to see much in the gorgeous photos that we've missed traveling the same paths you have.. just wonderful.

Appreciate your nice and kind comments. BUT, I just want to be honest that my memory is that perfect, nor exactly detailed. My secret is that I know how to use Google.com and/or read the various travel books, etc. After taking the pictures, I will check more and added other details, specifics, etc. That's not all from my brain, nor off the top of my head. Sorry to disappoint you with that "reality". Have to tell the truth!!

There is a site that allows you to book access to St. Mark's Basillica. The price to skip the lines is 1 euro pp. The website is www.venetoinside.com/en/saint. It seems like a good idea as our time in Venice is limited. I am thinking of taking the vaparetto on the first day to see the Grand Canal and the ship's shuttle the next morning as we have a reservation for the Doge's Palace Secret Itinerary Tour.

We made pre-booked reservations for the Basilica and it was well worth the 1 euro per person. You get a 10 minute or so entry window and I've heard it's important to be within that window or you'll get sent to the general admission line. We booked for 11 am on the second day. We did the Rick Steeves audiotour (free to download on his website or through itunes) and still had plenty of time to get back to the ship by 1 pm for lunch so we could see the 2 pm sail-away.

Concerning the vaporetto versus the ship shuttle, if you are going to take the vaporetto on the first day to see the canal I suggest you consider buying a 24 hour vaporetto pass. We bought these in advance for something like 13 euro per person (I don't remember exactly). You get a code number when you make the purchase online and get your tickets from a vending machine at Piazza Roma. The 24 hours starts from when you pick up the ticket so it will be good for the entire time the Solstice is in port. From Piazza Roma, you can take the more scenic ride down the grand canal (which takes 45 min or so) or you can take a more direct route on # 41 or # 51 which follows the same route as the ship shuttle (and is only about 20 minutes or so).

With the various vaporetto choices, you can find something that is as frequent as the ship shuttle, plus on the second day you can head out earlier than the 8 am that the ship shuttle starts. Venice was really fun to wander around before all the crowds arrived, plus we were able to get some great pictures.

You do Ohio proud Terry.

This thread has sold me on doing a Med cruise and tour and DW says thank you for that. She is loving the thread as well and looking for me to score her a lens like yours for her Nikon D3000...her birthday is in August so she'll probably get what she wants.

Sincerely...I hope CruiseCritic considers bringing you onboard their staff as your photographic and journalism skills are perfect for this site.

Michael and Corky

3. On the train to Rome, we used the one through the ship and it just went, as I understand, to the station right near the Vatican. The regular trains go to the central Termini location, not the ship’s. On that train that Celebrity uses, it was about 40 minutes late departing for no good reason that nearly cost us our chance to make our 9:45 am reservation for our Scavi Tour under St. Peter’s.

Hi Terry. The ship offers a train to Rome? How much is it? So will there be a shuttle from the ship to the train station? What is the difference between this and doing it on your own? I will be on the Oct 23rd on Solstice and planning to do Rome on my own. For the Oct 23rd sailing, we will be in Rome on Nov 1 which is All Saints Day. Hopefully there will be some attractions that are open.

Thanks for sharing info and pictures!

Hi Terry. The ship offers a train to Rome? How much is it? So will there be a shuttle from the ship to the train station? What is the difference between this and doing it on your own? I will be on the Oct 23rd on Solstice and planning to do Rome on my own. For the Oct 23rd sailing, we will be in Rome on Nov 1 which is All Saints Day. Hopefully there will be some attractions that are open. Thanks for sharing info and pictures!

hillsprint: Is the "sail out" of Venice the reverse of the "sail in" or does the ship take another route? Fabulous mine of information this thread' date=' can't wait 'til 29th Sept !! [/quote']

miXterOB: You do Ohio proud Terry. This thread has sold me on doing a Med cruise and tour and DW says thank you for that. She is loving the thread as well and looking for me to score her a lens like yours for her Nikon D3000...her birthday is in August so she'll probably get what she wants. Sincerely...I hope CruiseCritic considers bringing you onboard their staff as your photographic and journalism skills are perfect for this site. Michael and Corky

Good questions and comments. Here goes!

1. The ship train to central Rome from the port costs $89.75' date=' round-trip. That does include a short bus shuttle from the ship in the Civitavecchia port to the nearby rail siding where the three-car, private rail departed (late from its 8:10 am scheduled time). This rail ride does not depart from the regular train station in Civitavecchia. There is no lunch or added extra's included. Just transportation to the St. Peter's rail station, 730 yards from Vatican City. And back. As I re-call, we departed from the Rome station around 4:30 pm. If you do the rail on your own, you've got to figure out getting from the ship docking to the rail station. That port at Civitavecchia seemed very big, industrial and confusing. Glad we didn't have to figure that one out from where the Solstice docked that day.

2. YES, we [b']sailed out in Venice on the same, great way/path[/b] as on the super scenic sail-in. It was wonderful and not be missed, also. Fortunately, we had great weather, a full moon, etc., while in Venice. Enjoy your September 29 cruise.

3. Glad you've been sold on doing the Med cruise and will be getting your DW a new lens for her Nikon D3000. I'll be waiting for the call from the CC boards to be a staff photographer/writer with the needed expense account to match. Might be a long wait. Know the University Heights, Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights areas well. Great parts of the Cleveland area. Have done work with the libraries there.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 44,780 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Edited by TLCOhio

1. The ship train to central Rome from the port costs $89.75, round-trip. That does include a short bus shuttle from the ship in the Civitavecchia port to the nearby rail siding where the three-car, private rail departed (late from its 8:10 am scheduled time). This rail ride does not depart from the regular train station in Civitavecchia. There is no lunch or added extra's included. Just transportation to the St. Peter's rail station, 730 yards from Vatican City. And back. As I re-call, we departed from the Rome station around 4:30 pm. If you do the rail on your own, you've got to figure out getting from the ship docking to the rail station. That port at Civitavecchia seemed very big, industrial and confusing. Glad we didn't have to figure that one out from where the Solstice docked that day.

Terry, we've walked from the ship to the rail station in Civitavecchia. It's an easy 20 minute walk. The port looks a lot scarier than it really is; despite the fact that they tell you not to walk it there are well-marked pedestrian paths that were easy to follow. It may, of course, depend upon which berth your ship is docked at...

BTW, thanks for the great pics and posts on this thread - we've been to these places and the memories were wonderful! Glad you two could celebrate your anniversary there.:)

Terry, we've walked from the ship to the rail station in Civitavecchia. It's an easy 20 minute walk. The port looks a lot scarier than it really is; despite the fact that they tell you not to walk it there are well-marked pedestrian paths that were easy to follow. It may, of course, depend upon which berth your ship is docked at... BTW, thanks for the great pics and posts on this thread - we've been to these places and the memories were wonderful! Glad you two could celebrate your anniversary there.:)

Appreciate the nice comments from JP & Chris. Where the ship docks in Civitavecchia does make a big, big difference!! There was a decent number, but not large quantity, of ships in the port that day on June 10. As our shuttle bus drove us back, my impression was "WOW! That would have been a long, long walk". Not just long, but rather boring. Nothing too exciting or scenic in this mostly industrial port.

I usually try to check ahead on how many ships will be in port for the days when we visit there. Fortunately for us, when in Dubrovnik, we were the only ship in port that day. The day before June 16 when in that wonderful Croatian coast city, they had the massive 3,850-passenger Voyager of the Seas, plus two others there for a total of 6,000 passengers. *The day after, it was five ships with 5,000 passengers. What a difference a day makes!!

Hi, Terry,

Thanks so much for putting the link to this thread on your Baltics board posts, else I would have missed the opportunity today to enjoy your photos and commentary, particularly appreciated because our 2010 cruise was Venice to Barcelona. We so enjoyed our several extra days in each city, and your pictures bring a lot of that cruise's enjoyment back to the fore for us. Also, we spent an entire day on that cruise in Herculaneum (which was a lot easier walking than our day the previous year in Pompeii!:) plus much less "ruined".)

You are a wonderful ambassador for cruising and travel!

BTW, happy belated anniversary to you and Mrs. Terry.

Pam

BTW, enjoy the Venice sailaways while you can; a new port much farther out of town is planned in the next decade to avoid the damage done by all the sail-ins and sailaways!

Edited by CintiPam