Good Buys in Alaska

Maureenxx

Not interested in merely tourist souveniors. What are nice items to buy and where best to get them in Alaska. Interested in good quality crafts, art, food, etc. that would make a good memento of our trip to Alaska. Thanks for any recommendations of things you have found on your travels.

We went to a crafts market (can't remember which port) and purchased a wooden bowl made of wood that is natural to Alaska and bought it from the person who actually made it. We are finding these are nice remembrances from our cruise. We also bought a few other wooden bowls to give to some family members and friends.

Keith

If you will be in Anchorage with transportation the Alaska Native Medical Center has a gift shop with Alaska Native Art. Individuals bring their work in from villages throughout the state. It’s the real deal.

Here’s some info on purchasing items in general:

http://www.anchorage.net/487.cfm

I bought my wife a nice new/old ivory bracelet at The Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage that was very nice. It’s located in Midtown. They have a much larger selection than the medical center.

I was wondering about this myself. I found a shop online in Fairbanks that I was planning to check out when we are there next week.

Has anyone heard of Artic Travelers gift shop and if so is it good? The few items they post online look nice.

We bought a good quality Ulu knife set, and it is surprisingly useful for some things.

On a suggestion on one of these boards, I bought some birch syrup and found it both different and good.

We went for the case of smoked salmon that they were pushing on the steamboat in Fairbanks, but it was quite good, and we were glad to bought it.

The wife in the couple traveling with us bought some interesting yarn in Ketchikan in a small shop in a building with several stores -- near the post office.

Other than that, the usual souvenirs and some stuffed animals for the grandkids.

My favorites were jade, ulu knife, smoked salmon, and handmade Christmas ornaments. I wrote up some of my Shopping Tips from my Alaska cruise last July here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Click on the Shopping Tips link. It has shops and some of the deals I found.

Crusing Goddess --Your tips were invaluable for all aspects of Alaska cruises!!!!

I found in Skagway - Corringtons - has a mammoth and walrus ivory products and a museum. I bought earrings from walrus ivory and the store owner showed me how the artist made them from ancient bones recovered and their lineage. Price was very reasonable, too. Not to many other people will have the same ones I have - only as long as the same ivory tusk is:D. Best place for salmon, too. Had 8oz of sockeye for great price. You will find them in the book you get when embark in Seattle. Great deal for my jade bears, too.

I also found whale tails from moose antlers which are cool for the younger set. -- Different store, I think. Again in book.

Look for white bear picture on products -- those will say made in Alaska. Most of the cheaper Ulu's come from China.

Actually, best buy for ulus were on Spirit -- $15-19 with cookbook. I bought mine in town (white bear ones) and then paid another $5 for the cookbook on ship. Get them on board if they offer free cookbooks with purchase and save the time in ports to do some sight seeing..

I also collect Bernard Passman -- store in Ketchikan has some older items signed by him and some unusual pendants with sand.

Tongass in Ketchikan has everything.

Looked forever but could not find any salmon socks -- socks with fish on them. So DS got other things.

For guys -- bring back Salmon jerky - my DS loved it and wanted more. Oops!!!:eek: Little fishy & salty to me but the taste was out of this world good. Glad I did not find the salmon socks now.

If need cheaper souviners for groups -- Alaska T-shirt in Juneau -- on pier. Great buys. Key chains & angel pins - a buck. Lots of selections. Have a Sarah Palin cut-out for pictures.

If anyone is into scrapbooking -- all ports had wonderful supplies for ALaska.

I packed my suitcases with extra room and on return -- way too full, but under weight!!!

Coming back into Australia we have problems with food stuffs, wood and I am sure ivory being imported. We can usually bring them but have to declare them.

Do any of these places give any kind of assurance that it is ok for export?

i bought some beautiful glass jewelry in Juneau 5 years ago in an art gallery from the jewelryy artist herself. she was from Sitka, and i get a ton of compliments on the uniqueness of the earrings and necklace all the time!

I bought some super warm socks for $5.99 each. I paid around $20 a pair back here in Minnesota. I wish I'd bought more. They had them in most of the ports at Tongas.

I also bought some beautiful scarfs in a little shop in Juneau - it's one of the shops that's listed in the coupon book, but I can't remember the name. They were around $10 each and are super soft and come in about 25 different patterns.

We saw LOTS of winter jackets from $20 and up. They looked pretty good quality. I also bought an under armour jacket for only $29. It's all black and says Alaska so it'll be a good souvenir and reminder of our trip.

We found the prices for things to be very reasonable. I wish I'd bought a few more things! :)

I found salmon socks last year at Tongas. One has been eaten by my dryer. Hope to find again this year. LOL

Libtek - I hunted in all 3 tongas & found mostly moose socks, not salmon socks. I was dissapointed so let me know if you find them --please post a picture, too as I am curious to what they look like.

Hope they have them in stock for you!!

--Colleen

We saw LOTS of winter jackets from $20 and up. They looked pretty good quality. I also bought an under armour jacket for only $29. It's all black and says Alaska so it'll be a good souvenir and reminder of our trip.

We found the prices for things to be very reasonable. I wish I'd bought a few more things! :)

wow under armor underwear is more than that! LOL!

On my first cruise to Alaska, I bought a crystal thimble with a small gold nugget on top.

On my second journey, I bought a little pinkie ring with a small "mammoth ivory" stone (it's legal, as it's fossilized mammoth ivory) in Dawson City Yukon. Then in Eagle Alaska at a small outdoor market of locals, purchased another piece of "mammoth ivory" carved like a feather on a leather necklace. They are my two prized souvenirs from my trip to Alaska.

Then just for kicks purchased two luggage tags at Denali with the train on them. They are heavy bendable plastic and are on my luggage now, so anytime I travel anywhere, I'm reminded of my trip to Alaska.

Have a great trip!

I am also interested in the christmas shops mentioned. Can anyone (cruisinggodess?) help me with finding it please

We were encouraged by our Ketchikan charter fishing skipper (Ken, of Northern Lights) to visit the "Alaska Christmas Store" in Skagway and look at many of the handmade items called Dawn's Bear Bread - made by a local lady named Dawn. He said that she painted on "Bear Bread" which is a common growth on trees in Alaska. We took his advice, shopped the store and purchased many of her pieces as gifts and some for us as well. He was very humble and didn't mention to us that his WIFE was this local artist named Dawn!

We found the store to be uncluttered with the typical made in China junk. There was plenty of room to move about the store without bumping into someone or something. The owners, John & Cia, were very nice and helped us find just what we were looking for. We also bought one of their beautiful Santas. There were plenty of hand made items by various locals and natives.

From their business card:

Alaska Christmas Store

John & Cia Farnan

P.O. Box 727

Skagway, AK 99840

907-983-2006

jfarnan@aol.com

alaskachristmasstore dot com

A friend of mine gave me a "Juneau Body" soap made with glacier silt she got in on her cruise. I'm planning to bring some back as well since I really liked it. I looked up the store and it is called "glacier smoothie" located close to the pier.

After reading this topic I'm learning about many other items to bring back :D. Definitely getting ulu knife!

We were encouraged by our Ketchikan charter fishing skipper (Ken, of Northern Lights) to visit the "Alaska Christmas Store" in Skagway and look at many of the handmade items called Dawn's Bear Bread - made by a local lady named Dawn. He said that she painted on "Bear Bread" which is a common growth on trees in Alaska. We took his advice, shopped the store and purchased many of her pieces as gifts and some for us as well. He was very humble and didn't mention to us that his WIFE was this local artist named Dawn!

We found the store to be uncluttered with the typical made in China junk. There was plenty of room to move about the store without bumping into someone or something. The owners, John & Cia, were very nice and helped us find just what we were looking for. We also bought one of their beautiful Santas. There were plenty of hand made items by various locals and natives.

From their business card:

Alaska Christmas Store

John & Cia Farnan

P.O. Box 727

Skagway, AK 99840

907-983-2006

jfarnan@aol.com

alaskachristmasstore dot com

Thanks for that information. From their website I got their address so will definitely be looking them up next month.

In Juneau a few years ago, I purchased some beaver fur slippers. They are sooooo warm!

In Icy Strait, I purchased an ulu, with a hand carved walrus bone handle (by a local artisan) in the shape of a whale. I don't use this, but display it along with my art. (has a nice walrus bone stand).

This trip coming up, I am looking for some local art, hopefully a hand made basket incorporating baleen and other materials native to Alaska.

In Ketchikan, there are a couple of Native Alaskan stores that are not to be missed:

Crazy Wolf Studio is located on Mission street, just opposite Whale Park. The item inside are incredible - handwove cedar baskets, handmade totem poles, drums, paddles, masks, jewelry, etc. The T-shirts, cards, & paintings are all the owner's designs and is amazing.

Tom's Treasures - one of the very few 'local owned' jewelry stores in Ketchikan that is open year-round. She has the best collection of native jewelry with incredible native figures. She also has totem poles she paints as well as many other items - like jade. Tom's is also on Mission Street, right beside the Movie Theater.

Enjoy!

In Icy Strait, I purchased an ulu, with a hand carved walrus bone handle (by a local artisan) in the shape of a whale. I don't use this, but display it along with my art. (has a nice walrus bone stand).

Do you remember where in ISP you purchased the ulu with hand-carved bone handle?

Archived