Tenders on Marina

mlc38a

I am going on my first oceania cruise in July. I have some mobility problems and have read on cc that tenders on the Marina are quite difficult to use. Can anyone who has sailed on here tell me if this is true as we have several ports using these. Thanks.

I am going on my first oceania cruise in July. I have some mobility problems and have read on cc that tenders on the Marina are quite difficult to use. Can anyone who has sailed on here tell me if this is true as we have several ports using these. Thanks.

163349.jpg

Getting into the tenders requires walking down three stairs. There are grab bars on either side, and the crew is very good about helping people in and out.

When the tenders are going to be used, they try to keep the ship in a position where its' bulk "shelters" the tenders, but you still have to get down to the tender dock:

164320.jpg

obviously, this photo does not depict the Marina, but the arrangement is the same.

Hopefully, this will give you some idea what you will be dealing with-

Knowing that is more than half of the battle.

Have a great cruise! :D

Add the fact the Marina tenders are nightmare for seating

Try to get the seats as you enter or in the centre portion

the seating on the sides you are sitting with your knees bumping others across from you in a very familiar fashion

I think if I had to abandon ship using these tenders I would sooner drown :eek: on

I prefer the R-ships tender style

the seating on the sides you are sitting with your knees bumping others across from you in a very familiar fashion

I think if I had to abandon ship using these tenders I would sooner drown :eek: on

Booked Marina but now am beginning to understand why so many of you still prefer the R ships...:(

Booked Marina but now am beginning to understand why so many of you still prefer the R ships

Prefer what you will, if you love the R ships book them now. In 5 years they will be history.

Added amenities ALWAYS trumps charm.

Just saying-

S&J

I have multiple issues with walking and going up and down steps and need a cane. I found the crew very helpful in getting on or off the tenders and felt secure with their help. Just ask for their help and they will take care of you.

164320.jpg

obviously, this photo does not depict the Marina, but the arrangement is the same.

Hopefully, this will give you some idea what you will be dealing with-

Knowing that is more than half of the battle.

Thank you for posting that. My knee aches already. ;)

Can you post something that shows the R-ships tender arrangements?

Is it more level?

Prefer what you will, if you love the R ships book them now. In 5 years they will be history.

Added amenities ALWAYS trumps charm.

Just saying-

S&J

...so, with that statement, and reading that O is not ordering any future Marina class ships, are we to assume Oceania is only going to operate with two ships? That's really limiting their offering...

Thank you for posting that. My knee aches already. ;)

Can you post something that shows the R-ships tender arrangements?

Is it more level?

That photo is of an R ship in the "R days", or maybe it was the very early O days: :D

NauticaCruiseShipPic.jpg

I've never been on a ship where the Tender docks didn't require some stairs.

They don't want those big openings too near the waterline.......:p

I have some shots of getting on Marina tenders in April:

2011-06-11_004227.jpg

You can see how they pull up to the ship...

and the stairway down to the tender boarding area...

2011-06-11_004251.jpg

2011-06-11_004503.jpg

The crew is excellent about helping passengers on board the tender....

When you get on the tender, there is a set of raised chairs set on the entrance level, then on either side, there are steps down to seating that has passengers facing each other on benches.

2011-06-11_004308.jpg

Hope this helps. I did not personally see any passengers using wheelchairs get on the tender, but I know some did. I do know that we were reminded over and over to allow crew members to help us on and off the tenders, and many times it was totally necessary as the water could be very choppy.

I totally agree with you Lyn. Also, it takes a good stern stare at folks to make them move on down the bench as you cannot move over them. Doesn't it make sense to move on down as you know others will need seating:mad:

I'm a little late to the party on this one but wanted to share my experience. I also use a cane and a collapsible wheelchair for situations that would require longer periods of standing or walking. I also do stairs one at a time (up and down).

We did our first cruise on Oceania last year on Regatta, the 12-day Caribbean Pearls itinerary. We tendered in Grand Turk, Samana, Dominica, St. Bart's, and Virgin Gorda. The tender crews were unbelievable! We included special comments about their professionalism and care in our final survey. We had very rough seas in the Dominican Republic, particularly on the way back to the ship from Cayo Levantado. The crews had everyone remain seated and helped each person individually to carefully get from the tender to the ship platform. I was certainly not the only person with a disability on this cruise (lots of walkers, wheelchairs and canes). We were very impressed and hope for the same on Marina later this year.

• 7 months later...
Can anyone tell me what are the tendered ports on the West Mediterranean cruises?

Oh no, it is not that easy. Some ports are always tender, like Portofino, some are sometimes tender, like Monaco, some are 50/50 like Cannes, and some are seldom tendered like Dubrovnik.

There are also a few ports like Livorno, Civitacecchia, Malta and Athens where one always docks.

If you are concerned about the tendering process, always travel in season. The waters are calmest then.

It is not so much the tendering I am worried about but the fact that ships cannot tender because of weather conditions. I do not mind tendering but I want to know where I might not be able to get off the ship for sightseeing.

It is not so much the tendering I am worried about but the fact that ships cannot tender because of weather conditions. I do not mind tendering but I want to know where I might not be able to get off the ship for sightseeing.

I'll state the obvious: you cannot know what the weather -- and by extension, the ability to tender -- will be the day of your port call at any destination. If you've chosen to cruise and if you've chosen an itinerary that includes tender ports, you have, in effect, accepted the possibility that you'll miss those ports.

As has been stated, you can lower the possibility of disappointment by going at the times of the year when the chance of making all your ports is greatest. Still, don't go on a cruise expecting a Captain to put his passengers at risk simply because some made private touring arrangements or had plans to meet friends on shore or really wanted to visit destination X.

Cruising has many, many virtues, but it is not the best way to make guaranteed visits to a specific set of destinations. I empathize with your concern about missing a port, and I've come to a decision that works for me: I can accept uncertainty when cruising South America, Asia, and the Caribbean. I don't choose to accept that uncertainty visiting Europe, so my husband and I always have taken land vacations there. This year, we'll be doing Croatia and Rome by land.

We took our adult son on a December cruise on the Marina. Several ports were tender ports. The crew was fabulous in getting him on and off the tenders. It was more of a problem for the crew than for him.

There are two places, pretty much side by side, on the Marina where a tender can take on passengers. One requires use of the stairs but the other has an elevator as well. Of course, the one with the elevator is the best if the tender happens to be there but if not, four of the crew would garb the corners of the wheelchair and carry the wheelchair, with our son in it, down the stairs. So, do not fear the Marina--the crew will take care of you!

If you will be disappointed if you miss a port then do a land trip

There is no guarantee that you will get to any port, they do their best to stick to the itinerary

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond the mobility concerns, has anyone had a problem with getting off in a timely fashion if they are doing independent tours instead of ship's tours when tendering? We are in the Med in May and wondering how much of a problem this might be.

Regarding timing: there shouldn't be a problem assuming you get to the tenders early and can be the first ones off. At least we have never had a problem doing independent tours in tender ports on the R ships (but we HAVE had problems on larger ships on other lines like HAL).

We had a problem in Sorrento on Marina. I had specifically asked them when we should be in the Lounge if we had to be on shore at 8:30 for a private tour and was told to be there at 8:00.

But they didn't call us until about 8:40. They called one non-ship's tour tender at about 8:10, but every other group was for ship's tours.

This has never happened to us on the "R" ships.

Mura

Archived