Prices range so much- How much do you pay for your cruise?

Dreamer333

How much do you pay pp for a BALCONY (including port fees, taxes, etc)?  

660 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you pay pp for a BALCONY (including port fees, taxes, etc)?

• Less than $500 pp
    • $500-$600 pp
    • $600-$700 pp
    • $700-$800 pp
    • $800-$900 pp
    • $900-$1000 pp
    • $1000-$1200 pp
    • More than a $1200 pp

I've noticed here on the boards, posters mentioning such a wide range of prices paid for cruises! (Of course I know that the season effects the pricing)

I was wondering how much the avg person pays for a standard balcony cabin (NOT including insurance).

I am posting a poll in case people don't feel comfortable talking about money. (You can just vote, and not post anything).

Recently RCL has changed their pricing policy so that everyone pays the same price... which I do NOT like... I love searching for a bargain!

Dreamer......I know this is not a scientific poll that will be turned into the Gallup people and it is kind of fun BUT (i always seem to stick that big but in there somwhere) we have had balcony cabins on 7,8,10 and booked 14 day cruises. A per day charge may be a little more accurate?....................Oh, reminds me, I need to make final payment this week end on our Alaska cruise.............:D

Dreamer......I know this is not a scientific poll that will be turned into the Gallup people and it is kind of fun BUT (i always seem to stick that big but in there somwhere) we have had balcony cabins on 7,8,10 and booked 14 day cruises. A per day charge may be a little more accurate?....................Oh, reminds me, I need to make final payment this week end on our Alaska cruise.............:D

Good point...

Let's make this poll for a 7-day cruise!

Do the poll again - with parameters! or better yet - Per Diem rate pp (cruisefare divided by number of days) would be a better gauge?? Leaving out Air and Insurance - but inclusive of everything else. Just a thought....

We have never done a 7-day Carribbean Itinerary on Princess (26 Cruises):D - (May be changing soon and we will try b2b)

GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Non-voter here - poll much too vague for many circumstances.

Oh, brother...

As Catmand stated, this is not a scientific poll...

Yes, it is "general" because out of my own curiosity, I was trying to get a general idea of how much people pay for their 7-night cruises.

Really, its just a lighthearted, no big deal question. If you don't want to answer, or don't like the question, simply move on.

Please don't turn this into a big deal that the stupid little poll isnt detailed enough... pretty please??

Oh, brother...

Yes, it is "general" because out of my own curiosity, I was trying to get a general idea of how much people pay for their 7-night cruises.

Really, its just a lighthearted, no big deal question. If you don't want to answer, or don't like the question, simply move on.

Please don't turn this into a big deal that the stupid little poll isnt detailed enough... pretty please??

Not that your poll is not detailed enough it cannot give meaningful information. Cannot be answered by anyone other than those that only take 7 day cruises. And there is a big difference in 7 dayers depending on where they sail. Alaska is much higher than Mexico or the Caribbean. :confused:

I can not vote again but checked out the bill from our first cruise, 7 day Alaska, aloha deck balcony Star...................it would be in the 1000-1200 p/p range. And as you may have guess the longer the cruise the lower the per diem.......sure is nice if you have the time and are able to do these longer trips. Our 14 day cruise is to Hawaii not Alaska but it is 30% lower per day than the 7 day was.

I generally shop until I find a rate in the $110-$130/day PP for a Caribbean 7-nighter.I have found the western side is generally cheaper than say the east because it is less port intensive.

Of course if I could get my wife to reconsider an inside cabin I'd be closer to say a $65-$75/day PP but she says no way that's gonna happen...

That being said,we prefer 10-nighters...7 nights is just too short!

The poll is way too vague. The cost of a cabin depends on the time of year, the cruise itinerary, the ship, the length of the cruise, etc.

As an example, the newer the ship, the more expensive it'll be for almost the exact same cruise at around the same time. And there are so many different categories of balcony. Heck, if you look at the poll, an inside cabin on a 7-day holiday cruise would probably be in the $1200 or more category!

I don't think a per diem works either because the same variables are in place.

Okay okay, so we cheated a bit. This is a cruise to celebrate our 30th anniversary and as his gift my wife's father gave us a week of timeshare to exchange for the cruise bringing the price per person to around $470. After port charges and insurance and stuff final outlay was $1575 or thereabouts.

Inside cabin on the Dawn Princess sailing from Vancouver June 13. We're hoping the upgrade fairy hits us with her wand but if not, so be it.

I generally pay around $1,000 to $1,200, but that's with the single supplement. I prefer my own cabin and am more than willing to pay the extra to get it. I also generally prefer cruises that are at least ten days in length. If I'm gonna climb aboard an airplane to fly from Philly to Florida, I don't want to do it for less than ten days at sea.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I can't vote here I always go for the cheap seats in an inside cabin!

Nothing wrong with the "cheap seats." I do the same thing. Since I cruise solo, a balcony really does me no good. What? I'm gonna sit out there by myself? Not me. I'd rather sit out on deck and enjoy the view, while meeting a bunch of interesting people.

I also suffer from occasional migranes, and believe me ... an inside cabin is a Godsend when one hits me. The pitch dark room, with a cold washcloth on my head and some good drugs in my system ... and it's gone in a matter of an hour or so.

Yep! Give me those "cheap seats" any day! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oh, brother...

Dreamer333...I think your poll is just fine! I like the question and I think it is an interesting poll...funny how it turned into a rather "deep" subject! :)

We are booked in October on the Jewel out of Boston. We hit this one perfect as the prices climbed the day after we booked - we have 4 couples and one child - 3 balconies and one oceanview. The oceanview paid more than the balconies as the price went up and they booked 2 weeks after us.

I think we got a tremendous cruise rate of $1462.75 pp for deck 8 balconies -- this includes all taxes and port charges - I can't complain....

This is for a 10 day cruise. Then hubby got a call from his best friend and turned around and booked us on a 14 day San Diego to Hawaii (my absolute dream cruise) -- too bad it's not until April 2006.....oh well, I'll dream...

I am surprised at the number of voters who can get a balcony for less than $900 - this is unusual - I would like to know where they get them - unless it is a 3/4 day or a repo cruise.

Ron

We have always paid between 1200 to 1700 for a balcony room on both 7 and 10 day cruises. This time we decided to ugrade to a mini-suite on the island princess for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. We paid $1900.00, which I am very happy with!

Dreamer333...I think your poll is just fine! I like the question and I think it is an interesting poll...funny how it turned into a rather "deep" subject! :)

Thanks for the support!! (I definitely wasn't trying to make this a serious & deep thread... too many of those already going around! lol!) ;)

We have always paid between 1200 to 1700 for a balcony room on both 7 and 10 day cruises. This time we decided to ugrade to a mini-suite on the island princess for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. We paid $1900.00, which I am very happy with!

$1900 pp is an excellent price. What Cat Mini? Does the $1900 include all fees and taxes?

I am surprised at the number of voters who can get a balcony for less than $900 - this is unusual - I would like to know where they get them - unless it is a 3/4 day or a repo cruise.

Ron

Hi, Ron... I usually get the Caribbean sailings (7-night) for less than $900/pp when I sail in Sept or Oct...

If those are the months you are looking for let me know, and I will email you my TA's info.

Archived