Prices range so much- How much do you pay for your cruise?

Dreamer333

How much do you pay pp for a BALCONY (including port fees, taxes, etc)?  

660 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you pay pp for a BALCONY (including port fees, taxes, etc)?

• Less than $500 pp
    • $500-$600 pp
    • $600-$700 pp
    • $700-$800 pp
    • $800-$900 pp
    • $900-$1000 pp
    • $1000-$1200 pp
    • More than a $1200 pp

I've paid as little as $225pp inside for a 4 day, $550pp inside for a 7 day, $1,100 pp for a balcony over New Years, $ 650pp for a balcony Easter week and $ 1225pp for our ac mini. I wish I could cruise in the 'off' season :)

Somehow I think we Canadians are losing out here. For a cat BD balcony on the Dawn earlier this month, we paid $2000 CDN pp and paid even more last year for a mini-suite on the Grand Princess. While I appreciate the difference in currency, I still haven't figured out why it costs so much for us VS those booking through US travel agents.:confused:

Kerry

They don't like to book Canadians for some reason. Our local TA is very good and they get a slightly discounted rate due to the volume of Princess cruises they sell (it seems that the TAs here specialize in one line or two only), but it's still atrocious. On the bright side, our province has an extra insurance that cuts in if, for example, the cruise or airline goes bankrupt, as in the recent case of Jetsgo airlines.

Kerry

Kallen:

My experience, booking in Canada, is that you can always get a much better price on the web. THere are a few exceptions- at one time we had a great TA when we lived inVancouver. We cruised for 10 days on the Sun, Feb 27. Could not get a balcony but did get at cat C deluxe outside for 1150US (web booking) each on the web. The auto club travel wanted almost double at the time. Thinking of the same for next year. Just priced BB or BC balcony ( Sun 10 day) at approx $1500 USD each and it included a $150 cabin credit.

• 3 weeks later...
I would be paying a lot less if my wife was not a schoolteacher and stuck cruising peak time. I can find the same ships, same cruise different weeks for 40% less.

rsjc,

I know what you mean. My GF's family just booked 3 balconies on a 12/24 sailing that would have been 1/2 the price if they could go 1 week earlier. I feel your pain.

We just booked the Sapphire Princess For March 2006 to the Mexican Riviera.

WE went ahead and booked the mini-suite cat AC because of the rate of $1259.00pp including all port and taxes.Was very happy with this rate for this time of year.Plus a shipboard credit

We are booked for 6/18/05 Carib Princess to West Caribb. I booked two cabins for 4 adults, Riviera Deck BB Balcony Cabin. last week. Paid $1299.00 pp. plus taxes and port charges came to 2900.00 total per cabin.

I called Princess direct and booked directly with them because we wanted a balcony and did not want to wait and not get them. I figured we should get the best price dealing direct. WRONG. I went on line today and found the same cabin same time for 1174.00 pp

When I called to complain, I was told sorry too bad. Would not budge from price.

From now on I will search all webs and ta's.

We are booked for 6/18/05 Carib Princess to West Caribb. I booked two cabins for 4 adults, Riviera Deck BB Balcony Cabin. last week. Paid $1299.00 pp. plus taxes and port charges came to 2900.00 total per cabin.

I called Princess direct and booked directly with them because we wanted a balcony and did not want to wait and not get them. I figured we should get the best price dealing direct. WRONG. I went on line today and found the same cabin same time for 1174.00 pp

When I called to complain, I was told sorry too bad. Would not budge from price.

From now on I will search all webs and ta's.

Find a TA and ask if they can transfer your booking at the lower rate

Laura,

Hope you read this - re the poll you're conducting.

Many of those who cruise do so as part of a package deal either offered by the TA or the cruiseline, so to get a true reading would be difficult.

Your readers on this site are from all over the place...do you want the price in Canadian, American, Caribbean dollars. The $ sign is also applicable to our Mexican readers for pesos.

I've learned from the years in the military never to assume anything because it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

My Transcanal on the Coral, Caribe Deck May 06,(17 nites)with one way airfare YVR-FLL and pre cruise hotel in FLL was CAD$4200 which equates into approx USD$3300 per person for everything. and that's considered a good package even booking this far in advance. Keep up the good work.

Ciao for now!!!

In VERY broad terms, I always figure that anything less than the following is a pretty good deal:

Inside: $100 pp per day

OV: $120 pp per day

Balcony: $150 pp per day

But, of course, it's all supply and demand. We pay a bit higher than this for a transpacific cruise that's offered by a couple of cruise lines and just once a year, around this amount for a Caribbean cruise that is offered on 30 different ships every week, and less for a transatlantic with a lot of sea days.

We play the cruise liners pricing game against them.

Carnival gives a very good military discount to start with and than book early on a repositioning cruise. You got 3 lower fare items working in your favor before you set sail. If not a repositioning cruise than choose an off season cruise.

And yes we have gotten 7 day verandah's for as low as $810 per person.

Check with the cruise line to inquire what occupations they discount for as it varies by cruise line. Who knows you just may work in a civilian occupation they honor and provide a discount for. Occupations I have learned of are those such as teachers, police, fireman and first responders. So simply ask and shop wisely.

I am glad someone thinks this poll is interesting, which assumes they are looking for some good answers. Bottom line, they have a better chance of getting BAD answers than good.

Some people will include cruise credits in their price, before or after. Some will include air, or transfers, or leave out taxes or add them in again. From 3 day to 14 day and all the other variables. How many in the cabin? This is not being petty or a pain, but just realistic. The numbers will go all over the place. Heck, we paid $214 per day for oceanview on a cruise last year and will try to do it again, but that was a luxury all inclusive.

Oh well.

Im from the uk and reading this has been really interesting with regards to pricing differences etc.

We just had an inside cabin on the Star Princess for 7 days the total cost of the holiday was around $4500 - of course we have a 9 hour flight on that.

I have enquired as to how much an upgrade to a balcony would be on our next cruise which is 14 days and it would cost $1600 extra for a balcony.

Wonder if moving to the US in order to get cheaper cruises and balconies (oh what a luxury) would be considered a bit extreme haha

Anyhow enjoy your cruise when you book it and I would go for the balcony if you can get it as those days at sea can get crouded in the public areas

We play the cruise liners pricing game against them.

Carnival gives a very good military discount to start with and than book early on a repositioning cruise. You got 3 lower fare items working in your favor before you set sail. If not a repositioning cruise than choose an off season cruise.

And yes we have gotten 7 day verandah's for as low as $810 per person.

Check with the cruise line to inquire what occupations they discount for as it varies by cruise line. Who knows you just may work in a civilian occupation they honor and provide a discount for. Occupations I have learned of are those such as teachers, police, fireman and first responders. So simply ask and shop wisely.

Which cruise lines give a discount for teachers?

.....Wonder if moving to the US in order to get cheaper cruises and balconies (oh what a luxury) would be considered a bit extreme haha....

don't even think about it,just went through the immigration process with all the fees and costs beside its not a good deal;)

guess why the US has so many illegal immigrants? they can't afford it to be legal...;)

Berliner

Archived