radiance cabin 7594

We currently have cabin 7594 booked for our South Pacific Island Cruise which is an E2 on the hump. Has anyone had this cabin and your thoughts please?

Currently thinking of upgrading to D2 Aft cabin on deck 10.

Is it worth paying extra for the slightly larger cabin? Would there be a huge difference in comfort by going from midship to aft?

Any advice would be most welcome thank you.

We currently have cabin 7594 booked for our South Pacific Island Cruise which is an E2 on the hump. Has anyone had this cabin and your thoughts please?

Currently thinking of upgrading to D2 Aft cabin on deck 10.

Is it worth paying extra for the slightly larger cabin? Would there be a huge difference in comfort by going from midship to aft?

Any advice would be most welcome thank you.

My husband and I were in our first E category cabin on Radiance for 19 days last month. We decided we will never book another E again no matter how much cheaper. A D cabin seems a whole lot larger even though the bathroom and balcony are the same (other than aft balconies). We prefer a JS but can live in a D. The sofa in an E is tiny and the dresser is shorter meaning the drawers are smaller. The floor space is so much less that we always felt in each others way when we were both up and moving around.

Others of course will disagree. But we have sworn off Es.

Gina

The hump is SO convenient! And, it's a LOOOONG walk back and forth to the aft....I'd rather be on the hump, but if you want a really large balcony, and don't mind the walk, then go aft!

There's not alot of extra space in the cabin, but the aft balcony is really large.

Thank you both for your prompt replies. We had an Aft balcony on the PG , which was 229 sq ft and I am concerned about the smaller E type cabins which I believe are about 180 sq ft.

I do not think it would be a major concern being a distance from the elevators, good to work off the late meal. (Except if you have to rush for a tender) Are the aft balconies in the shade or do they get their fair share of sun on Radiance?

Thank you both for your prompt replies. We had an Aft balcony on the PG , which was 229 sq ft and I am concerned about the smaller E type cabins which I believe are about 180 sq ft.

I do not think it would be a major concern being a distance from the elevators, good to work off the late meal. (Except if you have to rush for a tender) Are the aft balconies in the shade or do they get their fair share of sun on Radiance?

Some people say they are sunnier. The reality is, it depends on which way the ship is going and where the sun is in the sky.

I DO prefer being near the hump rather than the aft although I don't mind walking at all. But a D feels way more roomier to us and makes all the difference.

As for walking, the dumbest thing my husband and I say is, "let's get a room near the front of the ship between the 2 sets of elevators so we don't have to walk so far to get to the gym." :rolleyes: The sad part is....we mean it! :o :)

I would definitely take an aft D over a hump E - balcony size wouldn't even play into it for me.

Gina

We were in 8654, an E1, for the five day repo in May [i think overlapping with the last five of Mommabean's 19 days]. Different deck/location but cabin should be the same size. Obviously alot of this is a matter of personal taste/preference, but for the two of us, it was great -- we had plenty of room. Of course we were packed for 5 days, not 19.

I can post some pictures if that would help.

Edited to add: On the other hand, extra space is always nice -- but I wouldn't pay a whole lot extra for it.

Edited by mjldvlks

We were in 8654, an E1, for the five day repo in May [i think overlapping with the last five of Mommabean's 19 days]. Different deck/location but cabin should be the same size. Obviously alot of this is a matter of personal taste/preference, but for the two of us, it was great -- we had plenty of room. Of course we were packed for 5 days, not 19.

Edited to add: On the other hand, extra space is always nice -- but I wouldn't pay a whole lot extra for it.

That's the truth and exactly how we managed to end up in the E cat room.

We decided to play the RCI pricing game when we booked our Ultimate Alaska cruise. I noticed last year that the prices kept dropping on this first of the season AK cruise. Then the redeployment hit. We opted to take the longer 15 day Panama Canal cruise (the AK cruise was only 12 days) at the same price. That price happened to be almost half the then current asking price of the E cats and well under half of what the Ds were. There was no chance the prices were going down and no chance we were going to pay more than double what we paid for the E.

Had we only been on board for a 5 day cruise, it would have been more manageable. But...we still won't do it again. I think an OV is larger than an E - I'd give up the balcony for the space inside and OV. :o There's something about floor space as long as a full length sofa that I like. I find it easier to get around the foot of the bed in a D, too.

Gina

After not being quick enough to snag 1100 on our last two Radiance cruises, we jumped a bit quicker for our next two Jewel cruises and have 1100 booked for both NYE and spring break.

That JS is so good that you probably could auction it off on CC - if they let you:D

. . . I think an OV is larger than an E . . .

You are correct. We were in an OV on Jewel last fall for a New England/Canada cruise and it did have more room -- full size sofa and all. According to RC's deckplans the OVs have about 10 sq ft more interior space. But I do like to go outside once in a while. I would pay a little bit more for an E than an OV for the privilege. One thing we have done [and did on this cruise] is put the coffee table in the closet to get a little more open floor space.

We have also done the OV cabins on Monarch which are REALLY small -- 122 sq ft I think. Somehow being at sea makes them all seem perfectly adequate. Certainly doesn't mean I would turn down the right price for the Royal Suite.

I wouldn't give up that room. The balcony is oversized.. its steps away from the elevator. Very quiet also. Theres a wall dividing the centrum and the rooms. I heard very little noise.

Yes depending on which direction the ship is going you will have sun on your balcony for a few hours. (You can ask for a lounge chair too)

You are correct. We were in an OV on Jewel last fall for a New England/Canada cruise and it did have more room -- full size sofa and all. According to RC's deckplans the OVs have about 10 sq ft more interior space. But I do like to go outside once in a while. I would pay a little bit more for an E than an OV for the privilege. One thing we have done [and did on this cruise] is put the coffee table in the closet to get a little more open floor space.

We have also done the OV cabins on Monarch which are REALLY small -- 122 sq ft I think. Somehow being at sea makes them all seem perfectly adequate. Certainly doesn't mean I would turn down the right price for the Royal Suite.

These are all really good thoughts and ideas.

I actually do like those tiny OV rooms on Monarch/Majesty. It was hard to be in one with DH the one time we had one - he insisted the bed had to be together and you know how that is. Someone has to climb over the foot of the bed. But with my sister it was so much fun. With the beds apart it really opens up the floor space and the storage is extremely well designed in those rooms.

It's all about marital bliss....:p No Es, never again, husband's orders. :rolleyes: (No OVs either for that matter)

Gina

It is great to see different opinions. I do like the position of the cabin we have and having vertigo I thought it may be best to try mid ship. It does have a great verandah.

But.............,I also like room to move. Have to check what the TA can do about price. Decisions, decisions. LOL.

Thank you, it would be great to see a picture of both E and D.

mjldvlks, good pictures. I was surprised I spent 19 days in that room and didn't take a single picture of it. I took over 1000 (well over) pictures during that time, too. :o I think I had a subconscious thing going on - the room we didn't want to remember. ;)

No, we don't spend a lot of time in there either, but we had to learn to get ready for dinner at different times - send him off to the CL. And he likes to lay across the sofa to read during the day but had to use the bed instead. These things shouldn't be a big deal, but they are to us. At least if the price is right on a D, we'd definitely do that instead. On rare occasions we've seen Ds at a lower price than an E which makes me wonder why anyone would book the E for more. :confused:

And if the price is REALLY right, we MUCH prefer a JS - for the closet alone. :D

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Yes don't want to be falling over each other to get ready for dinner but at this stage the difference is approx $500 between D and E.

Maybe hubbie will have to get ready on the balcony. LOL. :eek:

That's a lot to pay for the difference in size. If it were a 2 week cruise, it wouldn't be so bad - the price I mean. If it's a one week cruise or less, then the E won't be so bad. :)

It's just 19 days was a long time for us - at least we didn't have to move from one E to another E between cruises. It was great to just get off the ship and come back and not have to unpack again.

Just keep price watching. It's possible that between now and then the D may go DOWN in price below the E and then you will have the room at no additional charge.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Hi Mommobean,

It is a 12 night cruise. I thought $500 between D and E is a lot too.

This is why a put the question out here to see if it really makes that much difference. The other consideration is the D aft cabins are directly under Windjammer Cafe and am wondering if they will be noisy early mornings.

I will just have to be patient and as they say "things happen for a reason"?

Edited by sandandsea lovers

Hi Mommobean,

It is a 12 night cruise. I thought $500 between D and E is a lot too.

This is why a put the question out here to see if it really makes that much difference. The other consideration is the D aft cabins are directly under Windjammer Cafe and am wondering if they will be noisy early mornings.

I will just have to be patient and as they say "things happen for a reason"?

For us if it was $500 for a 12 night cruise - and you mean $500 total, as in $250 each - we'd do it. But you have to think of how spending $500 more would affect you financially. At this point in our lives, not having the space affects us more. :)

I've been under the windjammer in the aft and it was of no significance. Now, there is no windjammer in the aft, if you mean totally aft. The new specialty restaurants are there and they don't serve breakfast. There sure won't be people standing there looking over the railing anymore because that area has been enclosed.

Don't even think about putting yourself into debt by picking a larger room. But if you have $500 to spare, I would say it's well spent on a cruise that long. But....your cruise is quite a ways off. If you are a price checker, you might find a better deal.

Just this morning I was able to upgrade from a D2 to a JS on my Radiance cruise in September for $14 a person more. Yes, $28 total. :eek:

Whenever I thought like you, maybe there is a reason for this...something really good came of it later. You might have really fun next door neighbors. You might have a cool stateroom attendant. :) You just never know. Patience does pay. And good things come to those who wait. ;)

Gina

Edited by mommabean

I have been in both a D and an E cabin and we prefer the extra room of the D especially for longer cruises...but the E is definately ok too, just a shorter room with a smaller couch...either way they are balconies and you can sit out and enjoy the view...

For us if it was $500 for a 12 night cruise - and you mean $500 total, as in $250 each - we'd do it. But you have to think of how spending $500 more would affect you financially. At this point in our lives, not having the space affects us more. :)

I've been under the windjammer in the aft and it was of no significance. Now, there is no windjammer in the aft, if you mean totally aft. The new specialty restaurants are there and they don't serve breakfast. There sure won't be people standing there looking over the railing anymore because that area has been enclosed.

Don't even think about putting yourself into debt by picking a larger room. But if you have $500 to spare, I would say it's well spent on a cruise that long. But....your cruise is quite a ways off. If you are a price checker, you might find a better deal.

Just this morning I was able to upgrade from a D2 to a JS on my Radiance cruise in September for $14 a person more. Yes, $28 total. :eek:

Whenever I thought like you, maybe there is a reason for this...something really good came of it later. You might have really fun next door neighbors. You might have a cool stateroom attendant. :) You just never know. Patience does pay. And good things come to those who wait. ;)

Gina

Thanks Gina,

Yes, great advice, "good things come to thse that wait" and........."patience is a virtue".

I think I will sit tight and hopefully close to the cruise those aft D cabins are still waiting for me to purchase. $500 more is Ok by us but I honestly did not think it would be that much difference.

How lucky for you upgrading for so little for a JS.

Edited by sandandsea lovers

• 3 years later...
I can handle the E. These are from Radiance 8654 [and should be self explanatory]:

P1020399.jpg?t=1307760523

P1020400.jpg?t=1307760645

P1020402.jpg?t=1307760341

P1020397.jpg?t=1307761066

came across your photos of the cabin, thank you so much, we have the same cabin for what we call "school i es" here in Australia which is a celebration for the end of normal school life before a career or university, so we are 2 mums taking or 2 sons on a celebration holiday and leaving the rest of the family behind so not wanting to overspend. Yr photos have put my mind to rest even though the photos are from 2011.