Oceania's visa threats

comcox

If you read the policy you quoted in your original post it's not saying anything of the sort.

It clearly states that you either have to take an O tour or have the proper documentation from your tour operator with you in order to disembark.

Except Oceania is now stating they simply will not let passengers off their ship for any private tour unless they have obtained a regular Russian tourist visa in advance. It doens't matter what tour company says.

Has anyone actually been to Sochi and booked a private tour???? The tour company I booked, Tours by locals reffered me to one of their previous clients who I emailed! They said they had no problem leaving the ship and getting their tour in Sochi, Surely someone can verify this???

We did a private tour in St Petersburg a few years ago off a HAL ship. It was no problem at that time but I would advise you to make extra copies of the documentation from the tour company. That was the only issue we had as we seemed to need more copies than expected.

IMHO, this is very straight-forward. The cruise line is warning you that, unlike most ports, you can't wander off the ship and explore on your own or arrange a shore excursion on the dock. You must (1) take a ship excursion, (2) arrange a private excursion in advance and have the necessary documentation from the tour company in hand when you leave the ship or (3) arrange the difficult to obtain private visa prior to the cruise. It is far from a "threat". I can imagine the protests if they did not warn passengers ahead of time. The only thing I have objected to in the past is the attempt to have the ship excursions leave the ship first. In St. petersburg we just went to the gangplank and asked if the ship had ben cleared. Getting an answer in the affirmative, we left the ship and joined our wonderful Red October guide and driver.

Tours by locals reffered me to one of their previous clients who I emailed! They said they had no problem leaving the ship and getting their tour in Sochi, Surely someone can verify this???

Do you not trust them??

Ask for more references to contact

Yesterday we contacted our guide in Sochi for our upcoming tour to ask if we needed some documentation from her to give to the Russian immigration officials. She said no, that there would be no problem getting off the ship in Sochi, nor do we need any kind of "official" documentation from her.

This applies to Sochi! The situation in St Petersburg when we were there a couple of years ago was much different. Our guide (Alla) sent us documents, one per person per day, that we had to show the authorities each day before they allowed us in.

Yesterday we contacted our guide in Sochi for our upcoming tour to ask if we needed some documentation from her to give to the Russian immigration officials. She said no, that there would be no problem getting off the ship in Sochi, nor do we need any kind of "official" documentation from her.

Hi Randy

Hope she is right or there will be a lot of angry people onboard:eek:

Have a great trip

Wish we were sailing with you guys

Lyn

This applies to Sochi! The situation in St Petersburg when we were there a couple of years ago was much different. Our guide (Alla) sent us documents, one per person per day, that we had to show the authorities each day before they allowed us in.

I would be VERY suspicious. After all, you are entering Russia (not just Sochi) and you must comply with the immigration regulations for the COUNTRY, not the city. Unless things have changed for SPB as well (which I doubt) I would assume same rules apply to Sochi as to SPB.

OP's original post and notes from Oceania clearly indicate what you need (i.e. visa one way or another)!

JMO

PS

I am thinking that perhaps as stops in Sochi are fairly new (as compared to SPB), some tour operators do not know all the rules?

In any case, you CANNOT just walk of the ship w/o any papers to meet your guide - that much is certain. Your guide is dead wrong. I would look for another guide or if you can't, join the ship's tour if you want to see Sochi.

There are no tour documents at all, just a series of emails back and forth that we have printed and that show the itinerary and cost.

I agree that I should be -- and in fact am! -- concerned... :o

This is all getting rather silly. The whole point here is that Russia does not yet recognize the whole ship "blanket Visa", which is basically where a cruise ship says to a country that they will be bringing in 650 passengers, and will be taking out the same 650 when they leave.

As a result, unless the passenger want to go to the trouble and expense of obtaining their own private Visa, the issue then falls to the guide.

Now, these guides don't get paid until after you take your tour, so there is no point in their misrepresenting themselves. If they don't have a license, they cannot pick you up at the ship, and therefore will never see a penny.

If you have a letter confirming that you are booked with a particular guide for a certain date, there won't be any problem.

As in any situation in life, "Follow the money" and you will realize where the pitfalls may be. If you need more reassurance than that, it might be best that you not tour independently.

If you have a letter confirming that you are booked with a particular guide for a certain date, there won't be any problem.

Not entirely true - you need more than a simple letter from the tour company that you are booked with them; you need a special letter from them.

They have to get your passport info and apply for a visa on your behalf; if the tour company has not asked for a copy of your passport, then they have not obtained a visa for you - ergo, you are not leaving the ship to meet your guide.

Agreed - this simple matter is getting ridiculous; it is not that difficult to decipher the requirements (especially with all the advice given here by people who have done it before).

Not entirely true - you need more than a simple letter from the tour company that you are booked with them; you need a special letter from them.

They have to get your passport info and apply for a visa on your behalf; if the tour company has not asked for a copy of your passport, then they have not obtained a visa for you - ergo, you are not leaving the ship to meet your guide.

Agreed - this simple matter is getting ridiculous; it is not that difficult to decipher the requirements (especially with all the advice given here by people who have done it before).

Well said Paul, but I don't believe that the guides need a copy of your passport to get a blanket day visa.

Well said Paul, but I don't believe that the guides need a copy of your passport to get a blanket day visa.

We did not have to send a copy of passport to Alla in SPG but she required our names and passport numbers, date of birth etc. ahead of time.

This is all getting rather silly. The whole point here is that Russia does not yet recognize the whole ship "blanket Visa", which is basically where a cruise ship says to a country that they will be bringing in 650 passengers, and will be taking out the same 650 when they leave.

As a result, unless the passenger want to go to the trouble and expense of obtaining their own private Visa, the issue then falls to the guide.

Now, these guides don't get paid until after you take your tour, so there is no point in their misrepresenting themselves. If they don't have a license, they cannot pick you up at the ship, and therefore will never see a penny.

As in any situation in life, "Follow the money" and you will realize where the pitfalls may be. If you need more reassurance than that, it might be best that you not tour independently.

Who is the "you" that you are talking about?

And if you think it is so silly, why did you waste your time responding?

We did not have to send a copy of passport to Alla in SPG but she required our names and passport numbers, date of birth etc. ahead of time.

Debbie, you are probably right. Ours was in 2006 - many moons ago and I do not recall all the details, but they do need the passport #s and names, dates of birth, etc for issuing proper papers.

WE were getting ready to cancel our Sochi private tour after getting the last email from Oceania but then our travel agent suggested contacting the Russian Consulate in San Francisco. The consulate sent the following information (coloring was their's):

"ATTENTION CRUISE SEA SHIP PASSENGERS !

According to the Russian Immigration Law if you travel on an International Cruise Sea Ship:

1. During your stay in the Russian Seaport you have accomodations on the same Shipboard;

2. You have group tourist program organized by a local tour operator or your Cruise company.

you don't need tourist visa for the period of up to 72 hours."

Based on this information we've decided to go ahead with our tour. Of course, Oceania may decide to not let us off but they will have a fight on their hands if they do.

WE were getting ready to cancel our Sochi private tour after getting the last email from Oceania but then our travel agent suggested contacting the Russian Consulate in San Francisco. The consulate sent the following information (coloring was their's):

"ATTENTION CRUISE SEA SHIP PASSENGERS !

According to the Russian Immigration Law if you travel on an International Cruise Sea Ship:

1. During your stay in the Russian Seaport you have accomodations on the same Shipboard;

2. You have group tourist program organized by a local tour operator or your Cruise company.

Based on this information we've decided to go ahead with our tour. Of course, Oceania may decide to not let us off but they will have a fight on their hands if they do.

Tamara,

At the very least, you should bring this documentation with you (clearly showing that it is from the Russian Consulate).

Did this tour company get your passport info from you ahead of time? Did they send you documentation showing they have arranged a tour for you? If yes to both, then you will be fine as that is the standard procedure for a private tour in Russia.

Please keep us posted as to what happens - it would be relevant for others in future.

Good luck and enjoy the cruise :)

Paul

OMG :eek:

licensed Russian tour company is the same as above

That is what we have been trying to tell you

But I would take any correspondence you have from the guide if you do not have the documention letter showing the tour info

OMG :eek:

licensed Russian tour company is the same as above

That is what we have been trying to tell you

But I would take any correspondence you have from the guide if you do not have the documention letter showing the tour info

We knew that but it's Oceania that is claiming otherwise.

Your interpretation.

Go back & read the letter from Oceania

Oceania's last letter:

Please see below Oceania Cruises Policy for traveling to St. Petersburg or Sochi, Russia and the Visa requirements.

Visitors to Russia must have a Russian Tourist Visa; however this requirement is waived for Oceania Cruises guests participating on an Oceania Cruises tour or private vehicle arrangement. During the guest's stay in St. Petersburg or Sochi, a program of tour choices is available. Guests who have purchased Oceania Cruises tours must present a valid passport, along with their tour ticket. Guests of any nationality will be covered by the blanket visa for Russia as long as they are participating on an Oceania Cruises tour or private vehicle arrangement.

The “private vehicle arrangement” noted in my earlier email is representing any private vehicle arrangements you have pre arranged through Oceania Cruises, which we provide a driver and/or tour guide.

Guests who wish to sightsee outside of an Oceania Cruises tour must obtain a Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home. Visas cannot be obtained during the cruise.

Archived