snorkeling in alaska?

nanny4sure

We love snorkeling and noticed our ship offered an excursion in Ketchikan (I think) for snorkeling. Has anyone done this yet? Supposedly there is a shallow area, you wear wet suits, and get to see a lot of starfish. If you love snorkeling, this could be awesome. But something tells me it could be one of those not so awesome excursions. :)

I understand your trepidation, as I was also, but it ended up being one of the highlights of our cruise. How many people can say they snorkeled in Alaska? EVERYONE else snorkels in the "easy" places!

The wet suits kept us warm, but there is a minute or so that it takes to adjust, then the only place you may feel the cold is around your chin. But then you have so many beautiful things to see, you forget you're in 40 degree water. It was much clearer that I expected, and the starfish are huge and amazing in color. When swimming through the 10-12 foot seaweed, I had a flashback to the early episodes of "Sea Hunt" and I kept looking for some one to sneak up on me with a speargun! The guides are great at showing you the right locations, and before you know it, it's time to leave.

For the ladies, be sure to pack a brush/comb with your change of clothes and towel. I had long hair at the time and I was a pretty good mess when we returned to the ship. Bon Voyage!

I wear my "Snorkel Alaska" hat with pride!

Seriously, we were really unsure about the whole thing, just like Stokeset - but we had an absolute blast. If you have a choice, pick a time when the tide is low, as you'll see much further below the intertidal zone. Fred Drake and his crew were great and the equipment was first rate. The changing room was tight, but we didn't care. We saw all sorts of bottom critters, fish, eels, crustacean, kelp, etc. The guides were always nearby to help or show us interesting things. I was one with a herring ball for a while!

Highly recommended.

I also love snorkelling and the idea that this might be available in Alaska just blew me away. I note that it is not offered on our Oceania cruise that leaves in a few weeks.

Are you able to tell me which company you used?

Thanks

Kellie

We booked through the cruise (Island Princess) but the name of the company is Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure. Just got out my photos and had forgotten how scarlet red the sea urchins were and purple the starfish were!

Thanks, I appreciate someone commenting - especially someone who has snorkeled in Alaska. We have been a few times and were trying to find something different. I never dreamed snorkeling would be an option. I guess I will keep the excursion. Thanks for the input.

This is first on my list of things I would like to do in Ketchikan--so glad to hear from folks who have gone on the tour. Is there time to snorkel, visit the totems, and Creek St before we depart at 2 p.m.?

I also love snorkelling and the idea that this might be available in Alaska just blew me away. I note that it is not offered on our Oceania cruise that leaves in a few weeks.

Are you able to tell me which company you used?

Thanks

Kellie

Just contact the folks at Mountain Point. We are also on Oceania and Fred said that he would be happy to have someone greet us on the pier and merge us with a group from another ship. In the end we decided to Kayak instead, but I bet an e-mail to Mountain Point will get you all set up.

If you're on the 7/11 sailing head on over to the Oceania roll calls and introduce yourself!

Just contact the folks at Mountain Point. We are also on Oceania and Fred said that he would be happy to have someone greet us on the pier and merge us with a group from another ship. In the end we decided to Kayak instead, but I bet an e-mail to Mountain Point will get you all set up.

If you're on the 7/11 sailing head on over to the Oceania roll calls and introduce yourself!

We are on the cruise before yours - departing 29th June.

Kellie

• 4 weeks later...

My husband did this excursion last week and raved and raved about it, it was the highlight of the trip for him. Great staff and they saw many wonderful things. I had to hit him to stop talking about it to everyone! lol

• 11 months later...

I just found this thread among others about snorkeling in Alaska and would like to know from those that went how you were able to take photos with such bulky gloves?

This sounds like so much fun and as we are avid snorkelers and only time we used a wetsuit was in January in the Keys.

Hope some of you that posted can comment on the camera using aspect.

thanks

Do a search on this forum (Alaska) for "snorkeling," and select to show posts, not threads. There were a couple of recent reviews where they went snorkeling. I can't remember if they mentioned anything about how they got their pictures, but at least you could get their user names and try to send them a message...I DO know they had a blast!

Hope this helps!

Snorkeling in Ketchikan was one of the highlights of our first cruise to Alaska. We had great weather--hot and sunny. By the time we got to the snorkeling place, we were eager to get into the cool water. It is chilly at first, but warmed up quickly.

Seeing Alaska from above the water misses out on the beauty that is under the water.

Archived