Seafood On Explorer of the Sea

Surprisingly, there's not much good seafood on the ship! There will be a fish entree each night, but it's not that great (IMO)...being from the East Coast, where seafood reigns supreme, what they offer on the ship isn't much better than Mrs. Pauls.

Check your ports (research!) and find a good restaurant ashore...that will be your best bet for good seafood.

Hi Everyone

Booked for the southern Carribean trip in November and was wondering what the seafood was like onboard?

Beg to differ with CB at Sea, which is not unusual and not the first time. I think the Mrs. Paul comparison is just an off-handed and unrealistic remark.

IMO.

On most nights in MDR there was always a fish on the alternative menu, a salmon filet or a cod filet which were nice servings but light on the serving panache. It's always a good backup.

Several times we had shrimp cocktail as an appetizer, 5 medium shrimp nicely presented in a small dish, cocktail sauce presented by asst. waiter. You could order more than 1 if you liked.

One night they featured a crusted filet of tilapia. Nothing spectacular.

Another night they featured a pasta dish with shrimp mussels and scallops in a light sauce. DD had it and thought it was de-lish! Another entree was shrimp tempura which was nice enough.

The highlight nights are the golden sea bass which is served beautifully on a bed of asparagus and of course the Maine lobster tail and shrimp

on formal night. Contrary to what other posters have stated ours were perfectly done. Of course we had an outstanding waiter who took good care of us and we of him and made sure we got beautiful servings and multiples of them.

An alternative you might enjoy is in the WJ for dinner they have a section called Jade in which very nice sushi is presented. I had late seating for dinner and was able to duck in a few nights there to have some sushi first and then afterward head to the MDR. Just don't tell DW, she would get ticked off at my exceeding the daily carb limits.

There were usually some fish dishes in the WJ during the day.

I am sure I have forgotten something but off the top of my head that's the best I can do.

FYI I do not consider myself a gourmand but have been around enough to appreciate good food. There is enough here to satisfy

most everybody except the particular few who demand much about everything. This is not what RCI is about anyway.

Enjoy your cruise.

Beg to differ with CB at Sea, which is not unusual and not the first time. I think the Mrs. Paul comparison is just an off-handed and unrealistic remark.

IMO.

On most nights in MDR there was always a fish on the alternative menu, a salmon filet or a cod filet which were nice servings but light on the serving panache. It's always a good backup.

Several times we had shrimp cocktail as an appetizer, 5 medium shrimp nicely presented in a small dish, cocktail sauce presented by asst. waiter. You could order more than 1 if you liked.

One night they featured a crusted filet of tilapia. Nothing spectacular.

Another night they featured a pasta dish with shrimp mussels and scallops in a light sauce. DD had it and thought it was de-lish! Another entree was shrimp tempura which was nice enough.

The highlight nights are the golden sea bass which is served beautifully on a bed of asparagus and of course the Maine lobster tail and shrimp

on formal night. Contrary to what other posters have stated ours were perfectly done. Of course we had an outstanding waiter who took good care of us and we of him and made sure we got beautiful servings and multiples of them.

An alternative you might enjoy is in the WJ for dinner they have a section called Jade in which very nice sushi is presented. I had late seating for dinner and was able to duck in a few nights there to have some sushi first and then afterward head to the MDR. Just don't tell DW, she would get ticked off at my exceeding the daily carb limits.

There were usually some fish dishes in the WJ during the day.

I am sure I have forgotten something but off the top of my head that's the best I can do.

FYI I do not consider myself a gourmand but have been around enough to appreciate good food. There is enough here to satisfy

most everybody except the particular few who demand much about everything. This is not what RCI is about anyway.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with you -and not the two previous posters - except to correct you to say that that is NOT Maine lobster!

The scallop risotto is usually very good, too.

Archived