Changes to Riviera

Leonid

If any one can answer my question, it would be JimandStan.

Based on the Marina design, is there any changes one knows about for the Riviera? We've booked a VS for the TA sailing 11/25/2012 out of Barcelona. Really didn't want to do it after an experience on the Seabourn Pride in 2005, London to NYC. DW said book it...booked!!

The only changes that I've noted so far are that the Putting Green and Paddle Tennis Court are now "officially" on deck 16; and the Croquet, Bocce and Shuffelboard Courts are now aft on deck 15 near the fitness track

Riviera:

161338.jpg

164700.jpg

They're also tweaking little details like table spacing in the terrace cafe, and the length of the bar in Martinis (too small at happy hour), but otherwise I haven't heard a thing (and I ASK!) . :rolleyes:

You're going to adore your Vista Suite through the Canal. The verandah of those Suites on decks 8 and 10 are bigger than most peoples homes!

The only changes that I've noted so far are that the Putting Green and Paddle Tennis Court are now "officially" on deck 16; and the Croquet, Bocce and Shuffelboard Courts are now aft on deck 15 near the fitness track

Riviera:

161338.jpg

164700.jpg

They're also tweaking little details like table spacing in the terrace cafe, and the length of the bar in Martinis (too small at happy hour), but otherwise I haven't heard a thing (and I ASK!) . :rolleyes:

You're going to adore your Vista Suite through the Canal. The verandah of those Suites on decks 8 and 10 are bigger than most peoples homes!

Thanks for the feedback......and it's the TA - not the canal. We're in 9000, so I guess are veranda will only be half the size of our house.:D

Riviera:

161338.jpg

164700.jpg

They're also tweaking little details like table spacing in the terrace cafe,

Isn't that where they are now on the Marina???

Spacing the tables a bit better in the Terrace & GDR is a good thing...too crowded for staff as well as passengers

Lyn

The Vista Suite Verandahs on deck 9 are by far the most private.

You could do anything out there

Just saying....... :p

After 40 years of matrimony, I doubt that DW would even be interested. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

BTW- -are the deck 9 verandahs that much smaller than those on decks 8 & 10?

After 40 years of matrimony, I doubt that DW would even be interested. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

BTW- -are the deck 9 verandahs that much smaller than those on decks 8 & 10?

WOW 40 years is an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations!

The Deck 9 Vista Verandahs are not small by any means, in fact I'd say that they have more square footage than an R ship Owners Suite, however, because of the profile of the superstructure, decks 10 and 12 have the deepest verandahs, facing forward.

These won't load onto Cruise Critic in scale, but they give you an idea of what I mean.

Deck 12: 225025.jpg

Deck 10: 231359.jpg

Deck 9: 224923.jpg

Deck 8: 002514.jpg

WOW 40 years is an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations!

The Deck 9 Vista Verandahs are not small by any means, in fact I'd say that they have more square footage than an R ship Owners Suite, however, because of the profile of the superstructure, decks 10 and 12 have the deepest verandahs, facing forward.

These won't load onto Cruise Critic in scale, but they give you an idea of what I mean.

Deck 12: 225025.jpg

Deck 10: 231359.jpg

Deck 9: 224923.jpg

Deck 8: 002514.jpg

WE had our choice of decks 8, 9 or 10. Glad we chose deck 9. Thanks for all your help. Someday we will meet.

We were told during our recent Marina cruise from Barcelona to Copenhagen that they are going to remove half or more of the bathtubs to accommodate larger showers. The miniscule showers are the major flaw with Marina. We also found the balcony suites to be badly laid out in terms of the closet being right next to the bed; no word on whether this will be rectified on Regent.

However, Marina's Penthouse Suites are a bargain and much larger compared to Regent Mariner and particularly Voyager, and we will only book those in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Jim and Stan - if you read this, would you please comment on the difference in the VS on Deck 8 and Deck 10? Are the balconies about the same size?

We are considering booking one for our anniversary next year as the Oceania Suites are wait listed. We didn't see the VS when we were recently on the Marina.

Thanks.

Jim and Stan - if you read this, would you please comment on the difference in the VS on Deck 8 and Deck 10? Are the balconies about the same size?

We are considering booking one for our anniversary next year as the Oceania Suites are wait listed. We didn't see the VS when we were recently on the Marina.

Thanks.

The Vista Suite Verandas on Deck 8 are much larger. I didn't have a tape measure, but I would estimate that they are two to three times the size of those on deck 10.

That being said, I prefer the views from inside the room on deck 10.

But then, I'm a penthouse kind of fella ;)

We were told during our recent Marina cruise from Barcelona to Copenhagen that they are going to remove half or more of the bathtubs to accommodate larger showers. The miniscule showers are the major flaw with Marina. We also found the balcony suites to be badly laid out in terms of the closet being right next to the bed; no word on whether this will be rectified on Regent.

However, Marina's Penthouse Suites are a bargain and much larger compared to Regent Mariner and particularly Voyager, and we will only book those in the future.

You have pointed out two of my major complaints with Marina (showers & closet/storage space); in addition to that, the drawers in the desk are next to useless - all this is in reference to verandah cabins.

If they enlarge the showers on Riviera (and remove the tubs), we are more likely to try her (in those cabins).

You have pointed out two of my major complaints with Marina (showers & closet/storage space); in addition to that, the drawers in the desk are next to useless - all this is in reference to verandah cabins.

If they enlarge the showers on Riviera (and remove the tubs), we are more likely to try her (in those cabins).

Do you really find the bathrooms on the R ships any more comfortable?

I find the shower more "roomy" (as in elbow room), though I like the rain shower head on Marina.

What I meant is that I like the R ships better in general and I was hoping for a "significant" improvement in the showers and cabin size on Marina. Neither one of these things happened - I find the shower more "restrictive", cabins no larger (in fact, it has less usable storage space IMO). So other than the 2 extra restaurants (which are great) I do not feel the tradeoffs are worth it to me.

A larger shower on Riviera would help (the bathroom itself is larger and nicer than the R ships but I don't spend too much time there other than the shower :)).

In other words, what I would like is a larger cabin and larger shower without having to book a PH. After all, Marina IS a newer, larger ship and thus should have both of those as compared to the R ships (as in "new and improved" :D).

What I meant is that I like the R ships better in general and I was hoping for a "significant" improvement in the showers and cabin size on Marina. Neither one of these things happened - I find the shower more "restrictive", cabins no larger (in fact, it has less usable storage space IMO). So other than the 2 extra restaurants (which are great) I do not feel the tradeoffs are worth it to me..
We have not been on the Marina, but believe in Paulchili's usally sensible commentary.

Actually, we suggested that for the Riviera, instead of having both tub and shower in the regular balconied cabin (which they don't seem to have adequate room for, even the 295 sq.ft. Silver Cloud/Wind do not have both, only the 345 sq.ft. Silver Shadow/Whisper have), the Riviera should offer a choice of either a bath tub/shower or a rain forest shower in different regular cabins. Customers can then have what they like more and not both. Won't that be better?

That sounds like a great idea, but think of the nightmare that would be for reservationists at Oceania. The ship is probably way beyond making changes like that anyway. I think if they placed the grab bar at the front of the shower, took away that rain showerhead and had the same kind as the R ships, the bathrooms would be perfect. There was a lot to love about that bathroom in contrast to those on the R ships. Much larger, prettier, more storage, better lighting and a bathtub!

Bobi

YES

I kept banging my arm on the grab bar on the Marina shower

A door on the shower on the R-ships would be good

I agree, those drawers are next to useless & the one under the safe if you are shorter

The tub was a waste of space for us ...keep them in the higher end cabins;)

The tub was a waste of space for us ...keep them in the higher end cabins;)

I am with you on this one all the way. Unfortunately, what I think they will do is put shower heads into the tub and that does nothing for me - it will take away the rain shower head, nice glass doors on shower and make you step in and out of the tub to take a shower.

Just take out the tubs altogether and make it a larger shower; keep the tubs in higher category cabins where there is enough room for both a shower and a tub.

JMO

Yes, a shower door on the R ships would be a huge improvement. Taking a shower and not having to fight with the shower curtain would be a blessing.

Bobi

Agreed,

Some people have suggested putting large (heavy) metal clips on the bottom of the shower curtain to keep it from flopping.

Haven't tried it yet.

I am with you on this one all the way. Unfortunately, what I think they will do is put shower heads into the tub and that does nothing for me - it will take away the rain shower head, nice glass doors on shower and make you step in and out of the tub to take a shower.

Just take out the tubs altogether and keep the in higher category cabins where there is enough room for both a shower and a tub.

JMO

I think if they removed the tubs they could enlarge the storage & cabin area

Stepping into a tub on a moving ship would be a disaster waiting to happen for some people (me)

Put in the larger showers like in the PH cabins

It is probably too late for changes but one can dream;)

Lyn

Actually, we suggested that for the Riviera, instead of having both tub and shower in the regular balconied cabin (which they don't seem to have adequate room for, even the 295 sq.ft. Silver Cloud/Wind do not have both, only the 345 sq.ft. Silver Shadow/Whisper have), the Riviera should offer a choice of either a bath tub/shower or a rain forest shower in different regular cabins. Customers can then have what they like more and not both. Won't that be better?

meow,

Good idea but as Bobbi mentioned, a booking nightmare for Oceania, as in:

I want a cabin with rain shower only - what do you mean you don't have any more of those left (or vice versa).

I thought there was talk of making the hose on the hand held shower in the tub longer and putting a bracket on the wall so you could use the tub as a shower as in Europe. Makes sense to me. All you need is a shower curtain.

It would be a simple and inexpensive modification.

We just got back from Regent, our first, and found the tub useless, very narrow and with ship's movement hard to get in and out of.

Agree, all the cabins have to be the same or it would be a booking nightmare.

Archived