Passport help!!!

Very important that your birth certificates are government issued. Not from the hospital with the footprints. The gold seal does not mean certified. Every sailing, folks show up with the wrong birth certificates claiming "this is the only one I've ever had"! You will not be able to sail. Most disasterous on the weekends when a county office can not be reached or you were born in a state that does not fax them.

If you have anyone whose name does not match on the birth certificate and photo ID, then that person should bring a form of proof of name change. An example of this is a woman who takes her husband's last name when she marries.

When my mom first cruised in 2004, the port agent asked for her marriage certificate to prove her name change from "Judy Smith" on her birth certicate to "Judy Jones" on her driver's license. Fortunately I had heard they could ask for that so she had the marriage certificate with her. When she sailed again in 2006, the port agent did not ask to see the marriage certificate. My mom got a passport in 2007 so this isn't a problem anymore.

I've seen this come up occasionally and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the results. Some woman say they have never been asked for a marriage certificate, but some have been asked. Of the ones who were asked but didn't have their marriage certificate, I can only remember reading one case where the woman was denied boarding. I think the port agents try to work with the passengers, allowing copies to be faxed from home or courthouses.

The marriage certificate doesn't weigh much or take up space. I know some woman don't want to bring it because it may get lost. Personally, I think the risk of losing it is low so I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and have to jump through hoops to get a copy.

Yes, you can use a Ceritifed Copy of your BC and a Vaild, Government issued ID for crusies to the Caribbean from a US Port, assuming that you are a US Citizen. As others have said, if the name on your BC and the ID do not match (Married or name Change) you must also provide certified proof of the name change. I for one would never leave US soil without a passport, there are just too many things that can go wrong. If soemone gets sick and has to fly home, you have to have passport when flying (BC an ID are not vaild for Flying) from a foreign country, so you would have a huge hassle if you did nto have a passport.

..I know some woman don't want to bring it because it may get lost...
Which should be the last thing on their minds. The true original is filed with the Vital Records in the state where they were married. Duplicate copies are easily obtained, just like for birth or death certificates. The pretty calligraphy Church-issued certificate is not a legal copy. Nice for framing or keeping inside the family bible, but as useful as the BC with the footprints that the hospital issues.;)

We just sailed FOS last week. The 4 of us have passports. My sister's family of 4 used birth certificates. They gave her a hard time for not having her marriage certificate to show the change of name. She made it through but was a nervous wreck.

Also, just what someone above said, I cruised RCCL 2 yrs. ago and I had the birth certificate my mother gave me. They told me it was a "souvenier" birth certificate and not the official. They let me through but don't chance it! It had a gold "seal" but it was just for decoration.

Don't miss the ship, or you will be in a foreign country without a passport. My personal opinion... Any US citizen that travels to a foreign country without a passport is flirting with disaster!!. I carry my passport every-time I leave the ship.:p

Don't miss the ship, or you will be in a foreign country without a passport. My personal opinion... Any US citizen that travels to a foreign country without a passport is flirting with disaster!!. I carry my passport every-time I leave the ship.:p

Totally disagree that is asking for disaster, keep passport on board, no need to carry it, had friends who got pickpocketed and had their passports stolen, that is a hassle.

I travel Worldwide and NEVER carry the passport, it is always in a safe place.

cruisinbob

But you won't be unable to get home from a Caribbean port even though it may be a bit more of a hassle. The US government has established secondary means by which you can certify your citizenship.

Some people fear that carrying their passport with them is a great risk from pickpockets, but I don't trust that should I somehow fail to get back to the ship before it sails, that the ship's personnel will definitely retrieve my passport from our room safe and leave it with the port agent. That said, in the Caribbean, I probably get off the ship in the various ports without my passport more times than not, but make certain that I will get back to the ship well before it departs.:)

Bill

I do what authorities recommend - leave your passport ON the ship in the room safe, and carry a photocopy of your passport.

Fran in Corner Brook

Totally disagree that is asking for disaster, keep passport on board, no need to carry it, had friends who got pickpocketed and had their passports stolen, that is a hassle.

I travel Worldwide and NEVER carry the passport, it is always in a safe place.

cruisinbob

That is the most FOOLISH thing that I have ever heard!! You are at the mercy of the local Govt. With most of the world hating Americans, having your passport on your person gives you some protection under the Geneva Convention. As far a pickpockets go... Very simple precautions will prevent pickpocketing. A 10 cent rubberband.. :confused::confused:

I believe everyone now needs a passport......

Fran in Corner Brook

No, for closed loop cruises leaving and returning from a US port, then US citizens may sail with a birth certificate and drivers license.

Why are they going to miss the ship?

That is the most FOOLISH thing that I have ever heard!! You are at the mercy of the local Govt. With most of the world hating Americans, having your passport on your person gives you some protection under the Geneva Convention. As far a pickpockets go... Very simple precautions will prevent pickpocketing. A 10 cent rubberband.. :confused::confused:

Take it easy Rambo, The Caribbean isn't exactly North Korea...

As clarification, the Geneva Convention ONLY applies to Prisoners of War and civilians caught in a war zone. Hopefully you won't be needing those protections on a cruise!

As a general rule, being a US citizen, with or without your passport, gives you no special status in the legal proceedings of a foreign country.

Aloha,

John

As clarification, the Geneva Convention ONLY applies to Prisoners of War and civilians caught in a war zone. Hopefully you won't be needing those protections on a cruise!

As a general rule, being a US citizen, with or without your passport, gives you no special status in the legal proceedings of a foreign country.

Aloha,

John

Correct ... unless you're travelling on a Diplomatic Passport -- and in some cases an Offficial Passprt -- if you get arrested in a foreign country you will most likely have to go through the legal process. The Embassy will assist in finding you a licensed local attorney, and will monitor your case, but can not officially interfere in the legal proceedings of another country.

Michael

Archived