Arrested for prescription drugs in Dubai??????

seabunny45

Actually, I believe that Immodium is an opiod derivative. The parts left will not give you a high feeling, but it can show in blood tests. I personally wouldn't try to take it to the UAE.

I've been in and out of the UAE (latest Dubai November 13th) and have beencarrying Immodium for years. I hardly think they care about diarrhea meds.

After I read, the dark side of Dubai- I would never dream of visiting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

a pretty accurate account of the treatment of their slaves..

i don't know why he starts with the expat story, the way they treat the servants/slaves is the main issue...

I hardly think they care about diarrhea meds.
I don't think that the intended use matters at all to them. If it's banned, it's banned. Why else are some headache tablets acceptable and others seriously unacceptable?

As it happens, I've checked Imodium's active ingredient (loperamide) against the publicly-available lists before, and it hasn't appeared on any that I've seen. However, I can't now find a currently-available list.

Thanks for the update. That has been the experience of one of the girls at work who has flown through Dubai a lot on her way to Malaysia.

I've got a letter from my GP for my prescription meds (just in case) and will not bring my usual brand of painkillers that contain codeine. So hopefully everything will be fine.

A quick update...had no issues entering or leaving. I had my prescription and OTC meds in my hand luggage with my prescription and GPs letter. They scanned my bags but did not carry out any physical checks.

I had Immodium with me as I could not find it on any list of banned meds.

If I were to go back, I'd take the same approach again as there's no way of knowing whether they are going to stop you and check what you have or not.

A quick update...had no issues entering or leaving. I had my prescription and OTC meds in my hand luggage with my prescription and GPs letter. They scanned my bags but did not carry out any physical checks.

I had Immodium with me as I could not find it on any list of banned meds.

If I were to go back, I'd take the same approach again as there's no way of knowing whether they are going to stop you and check what you have or not.

Thanks for the update AmoMondo :)

• 3 weeks later...

So does all the prescription talk and OTC talk apply only if you are flying in and going through airport security? We won't be taking our bags off in Dubai if we are cruising on to Singapore so shouldn't matter. Although I must say I always travel with stuff in original bottles.

So does all the prescription talk and OTC talk apply only if you are flying in and going through airport security? We won't be taking our bags off in Dubai if we are cruising on to Singapore so shouldn't matter. Although I must say I always travel with stuff in original bottles.

We flew from Singapore to Athens with a 5 hour layover in Dubai (November). I never even thought of secreting my RX meds (though none are narcotics) in my carryon and nobody ever looked or asked any questions.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am back from my month downunder and ready to get started on this trip! I am sure I have missed a lot here. First question. For someone in the USA who already has their India visa in hand...what did you use a the 'invitation to India" when you applied? I have to get this stuff in the mail today for sure to get it back on time. Also, did you list single or double entry?

I just skipped tot he end.

Can you just leave your meds home and then refill your prescriptions onboard ship?

Would the cruise line help you out there?

No, you cannot fill anything on board. There is no pharmacy, other than what the doctor dispenses as needed in the medical center.

Yes I had considered that.

I was wondering if you could ship your meds to the ship or if the cruise line

would help you in any way. You can't be the only person with this problem.

Hi all....I am currently counting out my pills for upcoming trip so the pill question is a good one......I get vacation advances from MEDCO mail order pharmacy....I have to count to make sure I will have enough plus at least two weeks extra..this has to be done ahead of time..I get all Rx meds from our Dr I think we might need also...don't want to hassle with ship dr if possible. Then we relax and enjoy the trip! My saying is "All I really need is my pills and a swimsuit! Cruisy Susy

Archived