Arrested for prescription drugs in Dubai??????

seabunny45

If you go to a chemist's (pharmacy) in any shopping centre in Dubai, you will be astonished at the amount of stuff that they will sell you without a prescription, even though you would normally need a prescription at home. This is one of the great ironies about the entire situation. But I can get my family to buy routine stuff in Dubai for me so as to save me trips to the doctor for new prescriptions.

Thanks. That's the first bit of encouraging news since I started looking into this subject! Will I see things I recognize (like Dramamine, Nyquil, Imodium, Tylenol, etc) or will I have to search the shelves looking for active ingredients/dosage levels?

Will I see things I recognize (like Dramamine, Nyquil, Imodium, Tylenol, etc) or will I have to search the shelves looking for active ingredients/dosage levels?
I really can't remember if stocked brands generally tended more to American, British or European brands. And this may differ from company to company anyway. But you only need to ask! The shop assistants will know.

I really can't remember if stocked brands generally tended more to American, British or European brands. And this may differ from company to company anyway. But you only need to ask! The shop assistants will know.

American, British and European I can handle. I guess I was envisioning black/white labels in Arabic script !

You will find many familiar brand name over the counter drugs in Dubai pharmacies even at the airport. Excedrin, Advil, Panadol varieties, Robitussin, motion sickness, antacids. As others have said, ask the pharmacist if you don't see something you need. You can also get many things like Lipitor or blood pressure medicine without a prescription. Medication will also be packaged from familiar drug companies also like Novartis, Glaxo, Parke-Davis etc. I would not bring anything with codeine into the UAE.

It's not the brand names you need to look at. It's the drug names (in the "generic name" column). The drugs that might cause trouble include the ones in bold in that list. It's worth checking it thoroughly. "I'm Australian so the rules don't apply to me" is not a defence worth running in Dubai.

Just found this thread and it had never occurred to me that my prescription and over the counter medications that I normally take on any holiday could be a problem. As a UK citizen, the brand names don't mean much to me, but it would appear my HRT and cold & decongestion OTC stuff may be a problem. Is there a "list" anywhere for banned UK branded prescription and non prescription medications or do I just use this US one and assume that if the ingredient is the issue, then if my UK medication has this ingredient, it will also be banned?

• 2 weeks later...

called her about the subject. She says it is "for real" and she offered to get me what I needed and leave it in a desk drawer in her office for me. I decided NOT TO GO TO DUBAI because of this. When it gets down to Advil--then it is too much! They can keep their country.

That's an excellent question & one I hadn't considered. I'm still waiting from a response to an email I sent tomtheir public health dept to check which of my prescription medicines I'll be allowed. I was intending buying my usual OTC stuff in Dubai when I arrive but now I'm wondering if I'm goingbto have issues when I reenter UAE at the end of my cruise. Will I have to keep proofvthatbthey were purchased in UAE?

She says it is "for real" ...
Of course it's for real. Do you think all of this discussion has been fanciful?
When it gets down to Advil--then it is too much!
But straight Advil is not a problem - it's only ibuprofen.

But if you're going to throw your toys out of the pram over a medication that's not banned, and deny yourself travel to that place on a misapprehension, I suppose it's your choice.

Hope this helps answer some questions while you wait for a reply

uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

Thanks lily ob, that helped a bit. I now know all my asthma medication is fine but that my HRT will need a prescription certified by a Notary Public. I may ask my doctor about the side effects of skipping for 6nights.....may well be less hassle than getting the paperwork.

I'm really confused about OTC stuff now. None of the brand names tie up with any of the UK brands I use and it looks like Codeine is restricted, but I'm not sure about paracetemol, as it is also listed as an active ingredient a few times but that may just because the medication has something else in it that is restricted. Guess I'm going to have to seriously think about what I actually need (as opposed to like to take just in case....) and phone them up to check all active ingredients are ok.

As an aside does anybody know if there is a pharmacy anywhere near the arrivals hall, where I could pick up some OTC stuff fairly easily before getting my transfer (cruise line organised) to the ship. I land just before midnight.

Thanks

I'm really confused about OTC stuff now. None of the brand names tie up with any of the UK brands I use and it looks like Codeine is restricted, but I'm not sure about paracetemol, as it is also listed as an active ingredient a few times but that may just because the medication has something else in it that is restricted.
That's how I understand it:
No, you can also still get this list, which is the most detailed list that I have seen.

You have to remember that the lists are not comprehensive. If a particuar ingredient is prohibited in a low concentration formula, it's likely to be prohibited in any higher concentration formula too. And there are some which are obvious no-nos but which aren't explicitly on the list: heroin, for example.

I work on the basis that any ingredient whose generic name appears in bold in the list of generic names is not to be brought to the UAE in any quantity. Codeine is one that commonly catches a lot of people unawares. Pholcodine is the one that I have to watch out for because it's in my favourite cold medicine.

It's not the brand names you need to look at. It's the drug names (in the "generic name" column). The drugs that might cause trouble include the ones in bold in that list.

• 1 month later...
We just disembarked in Dubai. There were no questions or inspections other than our luggage being scanned. We were never asked about prescription or OTC drugs. It all went very smoothly.

Thanks for the update. That has been the experience of one of the girls at work who has flown through Dubai a lot on her way to Malaysia.

I've got a letter from my GP for my prescription meds (just in case) and will not bring my usual brand of painkillers that contain codeine. So hopefully everything will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Hate to ask this but we're off to Dubai in March & I always bring some Imodium with me. Could this possibly present a problem? Also, caffeine is OK in Dubai, no?

Immodium is not a narcotic. Caffeine is OK in Dubai; yes. Then again, in what source is your caffeine contained? Mine is in a Starbucks bag.

Hate to ask this but we're off to Dubai in March & I always bring some Imodium with me. Could this possibly present a problem? Also, caffeine is OK in Dubai, no?

You will also find many common medications that are familiar to you in the US. Excedrin, Advil, Maalox etc. If you don't see what you need, just ask one of the pharmacists in the many pharmacies located in the malls or souqs and they will most likely be able to help you out. There are many remedies behind the counter that don't require a prescription. Enjoy your cruise.

There are many remedies behind the counter that don't require a prescription.
And that, ironically, includes many for which one would expect to need a prescription in North America or in Europe. Useful if you want to stock up on stuff like that with minimum hassle.

Immodium is not a narcotic. Caffeine is OK in Dubai; yes. Then again, in what source is your caffeine contained? Mine is in a Starbucks bag.

Actually, I believe that Immodium is an opiod derivative. The parts left will not give you a high feeling, but it can show in blood tests. I personally wouldn't try to take it to the UAE.

Archived