Rough seas, the Pearl sailed East of Vancouver Island, it can happen

InternetAgeTraveler

There were somewhat rough seas last week (June 5-6th in particular), the Pearl sailed east of Vancouver Island to avoid them. Instead of the traditional route west, it sailed the route that the Star follows to the east. Even more suprising is that when it got close to Prince Rupert, where they stop to pick the pilot, it took a route inside Porcher Island which is a "narrow" passage.

This group of cruises were treated to a special route indeed.

As part of my time lapse compilations, you can see what I mean

You can also see that even with the easterly route that you can still get some weather as the Star ran into the day before

Ooooh, this is what I'm schizophrenically hoping for/NOT hoping for, since I get pretty seasick, but have always wanted to go up the east side of V Island! So I'm disappointed that our current routing is WEST of V Island, but if there are possibilities that it can get THAT rough that we'd be routed east, I'm sure to get ill. I am stocking up on scopalomine patch. Is there something better that I should know about?

Ooooh, this is what I'm schizophrenically hoping for/NOT hoping for, since I get pretty seasick, but have always wanted to go up the east side of V Island! So I'm disappointed that our current routing is WEST of V Island, but if there are possibilities that it can get THAT rough that we'd be routed east, I'm sure to get ill. I am stocking up on scopalomine patch. Is there something better that I should know about?

The patch does work well for many people although one of the symptoms is a dry mouth. My wife and I use Bonine which for us works well. The key is to take it before you get sea sick. Others do well with Ginger.

Keith

We had rough seas sailing the west side of Vancouver Island in May. Sea Bands & ginger snaps, along with dramamine worked really well for us. As this was our first cruise, we had no basis to judge things by. After the first sea day, we asked a crewmember if the seas were rougher than normal, and he agreed it was a pretty rough trip.

We did have mid-ship cabins on Deck 4, but really noticed the motion in the dining room & show lounge. The ginger snaps did help settle my stomach one afternoon when I was starting to feel queasy. Had a few cookies, was able to grab a quick nap, and had no problems with the appetite that night at dinner.

How do you know that heading north the Pearl was on east side of island? Just curious.

Its pretty simple, if you check out any of the other time lapse cruises for the Pearl, on Sunday after leaving Seattle about 2 hours out and all day Monday, you see mostly open ocean. On this cruise, on Sunday they were amongst the islands until dark. Then on Monday morning, they were still looking at land until mid day. The more striking adventure was the narrow passage they took Late Monday into Prince Rupert which you can almost jump across.

Having been on the Pearl twice to Alaska and compiled 25 Pearl time lapse videos over the last year, I am pretty familiar with even minor changes in route.

Archived