First time Confusion

djsfamily

so as we get closer to our first ever vacation, my partner has given me the task as I am home off of work for a majority of the summer to come up with a list of things we will need to bring aboard with us, and as I making this list I am thinking about things for the little one, she is 4 years old, snacks coloring books that kind of thing...is this stuff we should deffinetly bring...or is this stuff they have on the boat.

I am also am still unsure of the dnning room situations, are we required to eat there, or are we free to do the lido deck pizza, or room service? any advice would be appreciated, this is our first family vacation, let alone first cuise.

I have never cruised with little ones, so I can't answer that question. However as for dining, you are assigned (most cruise lines) a dinner time and table but you don't have to eat there. You can always go to the buffet (on RCI it's called Windjammer) or a specialty restaurant which may cost you extra. Most ships also offer room service at no extra charge (except late at night) other than a tip. Hope this helps.

so as we get closer to our first ever vacation, my partner has given me the task as I am home off of work for a majority of the summer to come up with a list of things we will need to bring aboard with us, and as I making this list I am thinking about things for the little one, she is 4 years old, snacks coloring books that kind of thing...is this stuff we should deffinetly bring...or is this stuff they have on the boat.

I am also am still unsure of the dnning room situations, are we required to eat there, or are we free to do the lido deck pizza, or room service? any advice would be appreciated, this is our first family vacation, let alone first cuise.

You are not required to eat anywhere aboard the ship. You can dine in the lido, room service, specialty restaurant or main dining room. Typically on formal nights the main dining room features lobster and other special entrees so that is a night you should not miss.

Perhaps your daughter will take part in Camp Carnival where she will meet other kids her own age and take part in supervised games and activities. Not a bad idea to bring coloring books, but, probably not necessary. You will not need to bring snacks with you there will lots of snacks available throughout the day aboard ship.

Jonathan

For the little one, from the main page scroll down to Special Interest cruising, Family cruising - they know better what you should pack. All I know is there are cartoons on TV.

Dining room: you food is pre-paid, you are assigned a seat in the restaurant. You can go instead to the buffet if you want (and more than once if you want) or order room service. You don't have to go to the assigned restaurant.

You can also go to a specialty restaurant, they charge per person, how much - it will be on the daily schedule, it will be left in your room every night for the next day.

For the little one I would plan as if I was going somewhere by plane. It is quite possible that she will be enthralled by Camp Carnival but there may be other times that she wants to color while you are in your cabin.

I would take a few small items for her. I even take my own pack of cards in case they don't have them on board.

For other items, there is a lady on here who has cruise lists that will boggle your mind. Just bing or google "cruise diva ultimate packing list". I took her list long time ago and just used it as a guide to decide what should be on MY list. If there are items on there that you don't "get" just ask and we'll explain why they are there and you decide if you don't need them or if they are right for you.

thank you so much, we are just slightly overwhelmed by this whole thing, and there are so many things we are just so confused by, or are just so excited iI am scared we will forget, can you explain formal night, and do we bring a formal dress for the little one?

Whatever you might dress her in for church would be fine for formal nite (On Carnival, it is Cruise Elegant night). If you go to the family board, there is a poster there (cruisinmama06) who has links in her signature to the activity schedules for Camp Carnival...They are pretty uniform across the fleet. EM

You are going to find food all over the ship, much of it included in your cruise fare. The buffet is open extended hours, so even if you've all had a meal but still want a snack, you can always go there and "graze". You can go to the dining room for sure (for all 3 meals) but you'll find lots of other places on board where food is offered (again, for "free), and a few where you'd have to pay a surcharge. If you are uncertain, just ask, and they'll tell you.

The room service menus are somewhat limited on some of the lines, but that's available too-- again, as part of your cruise fare -- so you'll always find enough to eat! :)

But I know that some kids are "stuck" on their favorite treat. So if your child needs something "special", you might want to bring it along.

As for "formal night"...many of the cruise lines have gotten much more casual than they used to be. "Sunday dress" is a good place to start. Since your child is a girl she might like getting dressed up and going "someplace fancy" for dinner. But if not, then again, there are lots of other choices all over the ship.

As for toys and such, again, if she has something special that she "can't do without" be sure to bring it. And some small stuff to entertain her in down times -- you're on the right track with crayons, coloring books, stuff that's not too messy or if lost won't "break the bank".

Have a great vacation..and a great cruise!

It's been a while since we've gone on Carnival' date=' but about ten years ago, the waitstaff would give the little ones crayons along with the kids' menu (which has coloring activities).[/quote']

Which reminds me..................not that there isn't a ton of food options on the ship, but keep in mind that adults can order off the children's menu, too.

Might not seem like a big deal, but that means for dessert you can order

A banana split!:D

I had another question for you, I am kind of a snob when it comes to soda(laughing) and I only drink pepsi products, do you know what carrier the fleet usues? pepsi or coke?

Most cruise lines carry Coke. You can probably buy a few cans of Pepsi at your port stops in keep them in your cabin refrigerator.

Jonathan

I had another question for you, I am kind of a snob when it comes to soda(laughing) and I only drink pepsi products, do you know what carrier the fleet usues? pepsi or coke?

Carnival allows you to bring on your own soft drinks. I am a Pepsi girl too and if you want, pick up a 12 pack of your preffered soft drink and put it in your carry on to bring on the ship (don't fly with it, it is too heavy!!!).

If you don't have time to pick it up in port before you board, you maybe able to find Pepsi products during the cruise in port.

Just be aware that a number of cruise lines have implemented a version of open seating in the main dining room. I don't know about Carnival. I never had any interest in that line, so I don't pay any attention to things related to Carnival. I think that NCL is the one that started the open seating thing, but I'm not 100% certain. Just check with the line or with your Cruise Travel Agent.

although I have not cruised with a small child, I do have a 5 yr. old granddaughter. Do you have a Nintendo DS for your daughter? If not (and your budget allows) I would get her one with 1 or 2 game chips (about the size you put in your digital camera) along with an extra pack of stylus (the little pen they use to touch the screen). My granddaughter started with one when she was about 3 and let me tell you, they are a Godsend when you are in a restaurant waiting for food, or she can even use it to keep her happy if you go to any of the ship shows or programs. The Nintendo DS is very small and lightweight for packing. Plus, trust me, you will use it many times on or off a ship, as it keeps young ones entertained in the car, the restaurants, doctor visits, ect, ect.

As far as the dining, you can eat at the Horizon Court on the Lido deck for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Plus, Carnival has some of the most awesome mac 'n cheese! Be sure to keep track of the grill hours if you want a hamburger and fries (or grilled chicken sandwich or brat) for dinner. The Grill (on Lido deck) closes around 6:00 if I recall, but the buffet is open until around 9:00 when it switches to late night bites. But, the buffet will have an offering of a salad bar, entre (often similar to the offering on the dining room menu), desert bar. And of course, the Pizza and calzone on Lido is open all night. You can "special order" your own individual pizza or just take a piece or 2 of what they have made already. I believe they also have a ceasar salad there. And, Carnival has a more relaxed dress code for "elegent" evening, so you don't really need to put on a "gown".

Our Son was 2 on our first cruise. I had some of his favorite snacks (fruit snacks) packed for the trip and the only time he got into them was in the room for a pre-bed time snack. He played at Camp Carnival the whole time (and still does on every cruise) so I didn't pack him any activities for the ship.

We are bringing our 3 1/2 yr old on our upcoming cruise in September. This will be her first cruise. Although she is normally a good child, she has her moments, as any do.

What I plan on doing (bringing for her on the cruise)...

I have noticed that when she gets something new, she will play with it for HOURS...non-stop and quiet as can be.

I plan on going to the store and buying some cheap little items that she will like (like a beanie baby, small doll-they have these mermaids out she just loves, and little interesting things) and giving her 1 a day when we are somewhere that I want to make sure she behaves, like at a restaurant or the air plane trip there. Something to keep her occupied...just in case we have one of those days.

We will only bring maybe 1 or 2 of her favorite toys along. I do know that she is the type that if you keep her occupied, which if going different places on a cruise and doing different things doesn't, I don't know what will. LOL :D But she is so good when we are out places doing things as a family.

Just what we plan on doing.

I went to the dollar store, and all I can say is SCORE. I just picked up a few things for her, coloring books crayons, some sticker books and a few little dolls with dress up clothes, I am hoping becuase we have such an early flight, she will sleep through it. I have looked and some of the kids program schedules and I am almost sure she is going to have a blast.

did you do any excursions for your little one?

I never thought about that, she has one, and we have used it as a distraction many times I just was not sure as to rules about electronics on the plane and such. I have not flown since 9/11 and I know they are very strict as to what can be brought on board.

I never thought about that, she has one, and we have used it as a distraction many times I just was not sure as to rules about electronics on the plane and such. I have not flown since 9/11 and I know they are very strict as to what can be brought on board.

You can absolutely take the Nintendo on the plane. They just ask you to turn it off during take off and landing.

Archived