Alaska cruise questions

tarheeltravel

We're on the Zuiderdam Alaska cruise on July 9 and I'm having trouble deciding what to take. Is a kneelength lightweight raincoat overkill? Or would a windbreaker be enough? We're on two floatplane excursions as well as a boat trip. Some sites suggest hat and gloves as well - what do you think?

Also, I feel cheap when I don't tip when I order room service for breakfast every day - I always leave the standard service charge as it is and then add more for good service from the cabin steward and dining servers, but how about room service?

we've done Alaska twice. Once in July, it rained the whole time except when we went to Hubbard Glacier. If you are going to a glacier, it can me quite cool especially if the wind is blowing. Everyone recommends layers. So if you have a windbreaker you would have something a little heavier for a shirt etc. I would do the windbreaker with layers and yes, bring a hat and some gloves. We were cold in Sitka.

The other trip was in Sept. with a land tour also. It snowed at Denali so hat and gloves were good but my legs were cold with jeans on. It was also cold at Glacier Park on the cruise but then you could pop in and out at your discretion.

Hat and gloves wouldn' take up much room. Have a great time!!:)

We're on the Zuiderdam Alaska cruise on July 9 and I'm having trouble deciding what to take. Is a kneelength lightweight raincoat overkill? Or would a windbreaker be enough? We're on two floatplane excursions as well as a boat trip. Some sites suggest hat and gloves as well - what do you think? Yes Kneelength raincoat is over kill. Suggest you purchase the disposable rain ponchos that can fit in a pocket or purse. I have found them at the dollar stores. That's what I took both times I went to alaska. Also suggest you dress in layers and take a pair of gloves.

Also, I feel cheap when I don't tip when I order room service for breakfast every day - I always leave the standard service charge as it is and then add more for good service from the cabin steward and dining servers, but how about room service? It's up to you but I always tip a few bucks for room servie each time I have anything food service delivered to the room. it's ordered. Tnot included in the daily recommended tipping amouts.

Enjoy !

Even if the weather is sunny and warm, any breeze off a glacier is going to be close to 32f degrees. It is smart to tuck a hat and gloves into a corner of your luggage so you can really enjoy all that Alaska has to offer. Consider a lightweight fleece vest or jacket to go under the windbreaker or to use by itself on deck in the early morning and evening.

We're on the Zuiderdam Alaska cruise on July 9 and I'm having trouble deciding what to take. Is a kneelength lightweight raincoat overkill? Or would a windbreaker be enough? We're on two floatplane excursions as well as a boat trip. Some sites suggest hat and gloves as well - what do you think?

Also, I feel cheap when I don't tip when I order room service for breakfast every day - I always leave the standard service charge as it is and then add more for good service from the cabin steward and dining servers, but how about room service?

You will love the Zuiderdam!

Don't forget your binoculars.:)

Thanks to another CC member's post, we took several cheap disposable (hooded) rain ponchos and only had to use one set (of two). When we got back to the ship, we just tossed 'em. It was so much better than having to deal with a soaked coat in the cabin. We got ours two-for-a-buck at a dollar store but they are available online too. You will probably want a windbreaker as well as it makes a good "layer" to build around. We saw several people on excursions with small backpacks for their "layers" when they took them off.

We always tip the room service folks a dollar or two when they bring the coffee and danish in the morning (from the overnight request card) and more if they bring a full meal. Flame me if you must but these folks work hard too and, while it isn't necessary to tip them, it certainly brings a smile.

Have your money ready though, they are really quick to leave as they, undoubtedly, have MANY more deliveries to make.

Have a great cruise!

We are also on that cruise. We are bringing layers. Looking at 1 - 2 sweatshirts and some kind of waterproof jacket on top. From other posts I gather if we get it wrong there are places in port where we can get additional layers at a reasonable cost.

Thanks to another CC member's post, we took several cheap disposable (hooded) rain ponchos and only had to use one set (of two). When we got back to the ship, we just tossed 'em. It was so much better than having to deal with a soaked coat in the cabin. We got ours two-for-a-buck at a dollar store but they are available online too.

You guys get good deal in the US. I paid $1.80 for my rain poncho in Calgary:D.

You guys get good deal in the US. I paid $1.80 for my rain poncho in Calgary:D.
lorekauf ... That's too much!:D:D

If you Google "disposable poncho" you will see many of them starting at 55 cents and heavier, knee-length, hooded in a 12-pack for $16.00.:D:D

Cheers!

I bought a cheap one for a Southern Carib. cruise and we were doing a tram ride/walk in Domenica when the skies opened up. It took me forever to get the thin plastic apart and opened enough to get into. I was soaked. Luckily it was a warm rain!!!:o

The only jackets we took to Alaska were fleece-lined denim jackets that we'd used waterproofing spray to waterproof them. We wore sweatshirts or turtlenecks under them in the colder ports.

I never wore the gloves I'd brought but was glad we had warm hats that pulled down over our ears, and mufflers (scarves) around our necks.

We always tipped the room service steward a dollar or more depending on how much we'd ordered so how heavy the tray was.

Depends a lot on what you will be doing. If you are taking excursions that will have you outside in the elements for a good period of time, you definitely want warm, waterproof layers. If you are taking tours where you will be inside, it is not as important. However, if you want to be out on deck to hear and see glacier calving you want to have the right clothes to keep you warm and toasty while outside.

As a native of Seattle, frequent traveller to AK, and avid backpacker, two words to live by -- NO COTTON. Cotton does not insulate and doesn't wick (once wet, stays wet). This is especially important for gloves, hats, and headbands. One thin pair of polypro glove liners will be infinitely warmer than those double-thick cotton mittens Aunt Mabel knitted for you;)

Done Alaska nine times. It can be windy, cold and wet - and it can be in the 80's with everyone back at the pool. We have seen both. Best to plan for cold and wet, especially if your going on a boat excursion. But take along a pair of shorts since it can be warm.

Tipping room service - A few bucks for breakfast is fairly common and much appreciated by the stewards who carry those heavy trays.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for all the great ideas - I have a better idea what to expect, which is apparently anythiing!

And I'll be sure to take along a bunch of singles to tip for room service - in my experience the people who deliver those trays are always efficient and pleasant and should recieve recognition for thier efforts.

When we went to Alaska, we did a 1 wk cruise followed by 1 wk on our own up through Denali, etc. I was very cold on the ship. I had long underwear (silk since it's so thin and good for layering) under my clothes, long sleeve T shirt, fuzzy/fleece zip up jacket, then a waterproof REI windbreaker on top, earmuffs, light gloves. Despite all that, I couldn't stand at the front of the ship while going through the glaciers. It was just too windy. The side of the ship was better as there was less wind.

We also brought rain paints which we used once.

We needed winter coats for our helicopter/ice climbing excursion. Luckily the company we chose, provided us w/ heavy coats and lined rain pants suitable for the iceclimbing.

In Denali, we were there for Summer Solstice. Freak hot weather. And I mean hot - well into the mid 80's. We were dying in our 3rd floor B&B w/o AC. The sun just baked the room all day long. We hiked in shorts and T shirts.

As others have written, the weather could be anything. Bring lots of options (we were on Princess so had access to washer/dryer). Layers, layers, layers

Archived