Three adults travelling together

filbert2009

My wife is in a wheelchair and has a carer. We both would like to cruise again but would have to take the carer with us. What is the cheapest way to purchase cabins that gives the carer her privacy from us? Inside cabins are out for us but we would like balcony cabin(s). Is it cheaper to get two cabins (one for a single) or a large two bedroom cabin?

Definitely CALL the cruiseline...you will probably need a Handicapped cabin for the wheelchair...but some ships do have 2 bedroom suites that may work, depending on your wife's level of disability. I'd call the cruiseline, explain the issues, and see what they have. DO have the deckplans in front of you when you call, so you'll know what you're paying for!!!!

Not many cruiselines have two bedroom cabins... ??

RCL the HC cabins are huge.

I would think about booking two connecting cabins, not cabins next to each other but connecting. That means there is a privacy door in the wall that can be open or not on both sides.

• 4 weeks later...

Another possibility would be to book a handicapped balcony cabin (on Princess, anyway) and book the inside cabin across the hall for the caregiver. You could share balcony time during the day, and have privacy when sleeping. There are phones in each cabin, so you could call if necessary, and handicapped cabins have call buttons for emergencies, in the bathroom and near the bed. The call bells do go to the ship crew though, not the caregivers cabin.

A few ships have inside cabins that connect to OV or balconies but they are very limited. The next best thing would be book yourselves the cabin you want and book the care giver the inside across the hall.

You might offer to let the caregiver to bring a family member or friend because it will be almost the same price to book 2 people as it would to book a single on most cruise lines. I know EPIC has single rooms but I believe they are separate from the non-singles.

RCI has a two bedroom family suite, however u need a minimum of 5 people to book it...handicap rooms r larger and so r the bathrooms. It is VERY hard, if not next to impossible for a handicap person to use a "regular" bathroom (I know this, as my friend is handicapped). It would probably be best to book handicap accesible balcony room, then an adjoining balcony room or interior across the hall. U have to book with the cruiseline directly for any handicapped rooms.....good luck!!

Archived