Norweigan Star to Alaska Disaster

mwh27

The reason NCL can't pay a Cdn consulate rep 'extra money', is that the Canadian Consulate is not for sale, or for rent.

Geez, do you really think that Canada forcing all these countries to need a Canadian visa now is anything except a money grab in the first place?

The good ole U.S. of A will give my wife a visa, but Canada will not respect that visa even though they will respect a U.S. passport? The process is the same friends. It's a money grab. That is all.

When I travel to the US from Canada, US Immigration is done at the Toronto airport.

When I travel from Toronto to London (UK), Immigration is done IN LONDON.

The airline check-in desk has no interest whatsoever in whether my visas, or immunizations, or other permissions in London are complete, up to date, or accurate.

They ONLY care that my ID is current, and that it is mine.

I CAN fly from Toronto to London, and get there and be refused entry into the country.

So, I refer you again to my original posts, which remain accurate.

That's fine. i never once said anything about flying overseas. I only pointed out North American flights. It's very possible that we are both correct in this instance given what we posted.

Forgive me?

When I fly back from Kansas City to Mexico the lady at the check in line checks to make sure I have a U.S. passport because Mexico now requires a U.S. citizen to have one. I am 100% positive that I am not getting on that plane bound for Mexico if i do not have a U.S. passport on me.

The airline does not try to keep this info from me and let me board the plane anyways even though they know i will just be sent home. To say these things is absurd.

My last international flight was from the U.S. to Barbados and we were NOT allowed to get on the plane (US Airways) without showing our passport at the gate first. There was a notice that each passenger had to check in at the gate and show our passports, even though we had already checked in at the ticket counter. After checking in at the gate, we then had to show our passports AGAIN along with our boarding passes as we went down the walkway to the plane.

My last international flight was from the U.S. to Barbados and we were NOT allowed to get on the plane (US Airways) without showing our passport at the gate first. There was a notice that each passenger had to check in at the gate and show our passports, even though we had already checked in at the ticket counter. After checking in at the gate, we then had to show our passports AGAIN along with our boarding passes as we went down the walkway to the plane.

Thank you. Some people seem to believe that the airlines just let you board anyways and then send you home.

Honestly though, do you people really believe that it would be that difficult to create a program on the NCL website that after they have asked your passport info it then immediately has a drop down box where you have to also type in your Canadian visa info should you have a passport from one of these countries that requires one? It could be updated on a daily basis.

Is this really that hard to imagine?

I mean dare to dream. I would rather have overkill then leave people at the dock. Yes there may be an instance where someone buys a cruise a year in advance and the laws change in that time period. Well guess what there can be a program that runs checks everyday. This is the year 2011. The age of information is upon us.

Sure they can. It's called customer service.

They have been following up. They continue to send me emails asking me to post about my cruise and asking me to buy another one.

I don't know why people think it's so difficult to take care of the customer. That's what I do. i take care of the customer/tourist.

Why couldn't NCL pay a Canadian consulate rep extra money to be there on site to take care of Visa problems such as this. Like I said, I would have paid $500 for a quick fix temporary Canadian visa that day. It just doesn't seem that difficult to take care of this reoccurring problem. The only reason I can think of is that they don't want to help the customer board the cruise because they already have their money. Yes, they do put stuff in the edocs to cover themselves, but if they really wanted to ensure that the customer was able to board, they could and would.

I've tried to stay out of this, however, in reading the Canadian visa info, it is clear that this is a several WEEK process for Mexican citizens. Having a rep there for YOU would not help. I'm guessing you must not have read any of the requirements for entering Canada even after all of this or you would know the length of time required to take care of this.

It is clear to me that no matter what is said, you are not going to take responsibility for what you and your wife did or did not do and except for the few members that support you, the majority all are of the same opinion, you and your wife screwed up. This is serving no useful purpose now and probably should be closed.

People on all cruise lines and, in fact, some airlines get left behind all the time. There are many reasons for this, but almost always it is the consumers fault. Take ownership and let this go. NCL did the right thing for everyone concerned.

Thank you. Some people seem to believe that the airlines just let you board anyways and then send you home.

Honestly though, do you people really believe that it would be that difficult to create a program on the NCL website that after they have asked your passport info it then immediately has a drop down box where you have to also type in your Canadian visa info should you have a passport from one of these countries that requires one? It could be updated on a daily basis.

Is this really that hard to imagine?

I mean dare to dream. I would rather have overkill then leave people at the dock. Yes there may be an instance where someone buys a cruise a year in advance and the laws change in that time period. Well guess what there can be a program that runs checks everyday. This is the year 2011. The age of information is upon us.

Yup and you had lots of information at your fingertips but just didn't use it.

They check a million times because they'd be financially responsible for sending you back home if you get denied overseas because of a lack of documentation.

The airline check-in desk has no interest whatsoever in whether my visas, or immunizations, or other permissions in London are complete, up to date, or accurate.

They ONLY care that my ID is current, and that it is mine.

I CAN fly from Toronto to London, and get there and be refused entry into the country.

This isn't totally true. The airline does care if you have a valid passport and necessary visa. If they didn't, they'd accept a driver's license, which I bet they don't. I stated the reason above.

This happened on a business trip of mine. The Russian embassy mixed up the dates on a coworker's visa. We were all meant to travel the same dates... his visa showed an entry date of two weeks later than the rest (he never noticed the error). The airline demanded to see everyone's visas at check-in and cleared us all to board the flight... including the coworker with the technically invalid visa. He was denied entry at Moscow and sent back home. My company promptly demanded a refund from the airline and received it. Had my coworker been denied at check-in, my company would've been SOL.

I'm sure it's the same process with cruiselines. That's why the airlines and NCL are so anal (almost to point of annoyance from showing everything over and over) about documentation before you board.

Sorry for the long post, but I have another story. My wife was almost denied at the airport on her way back to the US (she's a non-citizen) because her immigration status at the time was not typical. She had all the legal documentation necessary, but the airline staff had not be trained properly for this case. After an hour of arguing and speaking to the manager, they took her word for it and let her board. She got through immigration in the US faster than I did. Again, they were worried that letting her board would cost them money.

In the OP's case, NCL did not do anything wrong in denying his wife at check-in. Could they have communicated the requirements better? Absolutely. Do they owe him anything? Probably not. Should they offer some sort of compensation anyway? It be good customer service to do so.

Sometimes people just like to show compassion for other people who have been through an ordeal, regardless of whos fault it is. It's pretty obvious that he didn't read his documentation properly but who would wish this situation on anyone. I hope the next time you make a mistake, you don't get jumped on. And I'll say I'm sorry in advance just in case you don't want to mention it in a forum.

I make mistakes everyday but I do not blame them on someone else!

When I make them I take responsibilty and learn from them.

I don't wish this situation on anyone but it was preventable.

Yup and you had lots of information at your fingertips but just didn't use it.

Yup, and neither did the rest of the non-savvy travelers left crying at the dock. Probably all uneducated people. They deserved what happened to them.

NCL did their best to make sure it didn't happen, or did NCL do their least just to cover their own backside?

Anyone who doesn't think that NCL could give better customer service to prevent this kind of thing from happening should give Princess a try.

In the OP's case, NCL did not do anything wrong in denying his wife at check-in. Could they have communicated the requirements better? Absolutely. Do they owe him anything? Probably not. Should they offer some sort of compensation anyway? It be good customer service to do so.

I couldn't have said it better myself and i will not give up until compensated. I know NCL reps have to read this board. Shoot me a PM if you would like.

If no NCL reps read this board, then that is even sadder.

I couldn't have said it better myself and i will not give up until compensated. I know NCL reps have to read this board. Shoot me a PM if you would like.

If no NCL reps read this board, then that is even sadder.

NCL public relations does read the board and does respond from time to time, but from the tone of your initial communication with them I'd guess that your "case" is now with the legal department and the customer service department can't do anything further and NCL PR can't get involved either.

MWH27 - Have you received a response from NCL regarding this yet?

Best way to get an answer is to contact the people who run the company. You can easily look up who the execs are and search the web for the email format.

NCL public relations does read the board and does respond from time to time, but from the tone of your initial communication with them I'd guess that your "case" is now with the legal department and the customer service department can't do anything further and NCL PR can't get involved either.

Fair enough. But, they could have contacted my within the 15 days after i sent them the original fax like they said they would. If they would have done so i may have never even made this thread in the first place.

Wrong, and they will continue to screw over people every week.

The right thing would be to give me future cruise credit.

I will not stop. But, thanks for asking so nicely.

NCL did not screw you over! You screwed yourself!

MAN UP! admit it was your own fault and move on!

MWH27 - Have you received a response from NCL regarding this yet?

Best way to get an answer is to contact the people who run the company. You can easily look up who the execs are and search the web for the email format.

No, no response yet.

I find it hard to believe that I will be able to get a hold of the email addresses of the people in charge and that is why they forced me to send a fax and not an initial email.

But, I will give it a try. If you have the spare time and would be so kind to post said email addresses in this thread or shoot them to me in a PM that would be awesome and i would be in your debt. If not, thanks for the input anyways.

NCL did not screw you over! You screwed yourself!

MAN UP! admit it was your own fault and move on!

NCL should MAN up and admit that they could/should make things easier for their customers that are not so "travel savvy" as far as document awareness is concerned like Princess does.

Then they should give me future cruise credit of course in the amount that i paid for the cruise that I didn't take.

That is the only way to resolve this matter.

No, no response yet.

I find it hard to believe that I will be able to get a hold of the email addresses of the people in charge and that is why they forced me to send a fax and not an initial email.

But, I will give it a try. If you have the spare time and would be so kind to post said email addresses in this thread or shoot them to me in a PM that would be awesome and i would be in your debt. If not, thanks for the input anyways.

I can give you the info but can't find the PM feature :D

Don't want to post that in the public forum.

Here's a couple of questions for you mhw27...

1. If you know your wife requires a visa to enter the United States, what makes you think a visa would not be required for her to enter Canada?

2. You state that NCL has been sending you multiple emails with spa offers and such. Do you think they might be using a contact management program that sends out such emails to customers that are already in their database?

3. You say you work in the tourism business; therefore, shouldn't you be more informed (professionally) of international travel requirements than the average vacationer?

4. In regard to #3, what exactly do you do in the tourism business? My guess is that you sell time shares. :cool:

Once again, MAN UP! Accept full responsibility for your actions.

Here's an old quote for you to ponder: "You can satisfy some of the people all of the time or you can satisfy all of the people some of the time; but you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time."

Fellow CC members...

Is it too much to ask to PLEASE leave this issue/post alone and allow this post to DIE??? I'm really sick of seeing it....

Thank you....

Sorry chill... didn't see your post until after I submitted mine...

I agree..... I learned long ago that open threats to somebody stronger than you will generally get you nowhere fast............ Especially when the law is on their side. I believe if it had been handled privately and professionally, they would have been likely to offer compensation of some sort. If I am NCL, it is in the lawyers hands now & that means any further contact to or from them will be handled by those attorneys. I would further like to point out that the following definition regarding blackmail/extortion could easily apply based on the things you have said in your posts.

Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information.

If you think it's a joke, I suggest you reread your posts and your letter.

Fair enough. But, they could have contacted my within the 15 days after i sent them the original fax like they said they would. If they would have done so i may have never even made this thread in the first place.

I would suggest snail mail over a fax if you want to make sure your complaint gets in their hands. E-mail might work, but again, I'd mail it.

I agree that it is the traveler's responsibility, no matter what the vacation, to clarify all visas and passports will meet the requirements to travel. I even had a travel agent forget to tell me about visa requirements for my trip abroad this year, even though they booked my airfare. I learned my lesson, luckily had someone ask me if I had my visa 24 hours before departure, and ultimately knew I should've checked. Lesson learned!

For online registration, I believe you are asked to read and agree to all terms and conditions, but I know that everyone doesn't read those. NCL is off the hook for all of this, as it's clearly stated in the contract that it's the passenger's responsibility. NCL (and other lines), however, could make it clearer though be requiring everyone read a short passport/visa blurb with links to webpages explaining requirements before continuing with registration.

Archived