Costa Maya Excursion Ideas

4cats1house

Would like to hear any suggestions for excursions in Costa Maya for the 3 of us (ages = 42, 44 & 75) in October. Don't want to just do a city tour. Maybe something with a city tour + ruins or beach, etc...

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I second the mayan ruins! We took DH, me, DD18, and DS25 to see the Chacchoben ruins, about an hour outside of town. Ours was a ship tour(RCCL) and I have to say, it was well worth it. Our tour guide was completely bilingual, we had a nice air-conditioned tour bus, and the ruins themselves were both accessible and not overly commercialized. Chacchoben is still being excavated in places, so it's not a huge ruins site. But it really helped us get a feel for Mayan culture. After about 3 hours, we were ready to head back.

Personally, we did not like anything about Costa Maya, other than the ruins. i found the merchants pushy, and the tourists were even worse. It seemed like the main attractions were bars and cheap trinkets. We were more than happy to get back on the ship. I was very disappointed in Costa Maya and we not even bother getting off at this port again.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about your experience. We went to Nohoch Kay "Big Fish". For $30 apiece we laid on chairs in the ocean while Jaime's staff brought out all the food and drinks we could handle. Absolutely the best day of the cruise. The Ceviche is the best I have ever had. And Nick caught the fish fresh out of the ocean right before your eyes so you knew it was swimming 30 minutes before you ate it. Jaime does not allow the hawkers anywhere near his place. Thanks to Jaime, Andres, Brenda, Tracey, Jeff, Nick and all the rest of the staff.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time we were in Coata Maya we did a ship tour to Chacchoben ruins and really enjoyed it.

In February of this year were were there again and the guys did a fishing trip through the ship. My friend and I grabbed a taxi and went to Majahaul were I have prereserved beach chairs at Tropicana. The guys met us there after the fishing trip and we had lunch together as well as drinks. The beach in that area is really, really nice. The only venders that stopped were making bracelets so no one really bothered us at all. The drinks were very, very resonable.

I really enjoyed Costa Maya but then everyone has their own views of what they like for a port stop.

• 1 month later...

If you just want to hang out, have a great lunch, take a nap on the beach or maybe get a massage too, Maya Chan was great. Drinks are all included, lunch was excellent, they have floaty chairs to wade around in, kayak tours, and beds on the beach in the shade to nap in. Good stuff. Just DO NOT take the bus. We wasted an hour waiting for the bus (the port said 20 minutes), it drove 15mph, very bumpy, and we were the last stop. Take a cab, Maya Chan pays for it, and save an hour at the resort.

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I did the Chacchoben Ruins tour with RCI and loved it! Our guide was bilingual and a great mix of facts and humor. We enjoyed an air conditioned bus ride (1 hour each way) and had plenty of time for exploring, climbing and taking pictures.

We were back to the port around 11:30 (as the tour indicated), ate lunch on board and then took a taxi into town for some shopping.

We were at MCB this past week and Had an amazing time! Book ASAP! The ride to MCB is about 20 min from the pier. You are treated like family on a first name basis from the moment you get off the bus or cab. The food is excellent and service is incredible!

Here are the Pictures we took while at MCB

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2738017222796.140325.1628348478&type=1

I am sailing first week in February and i really want to go to Maya Chan for a beach day in Costa Maya as i have heard good reviews however, i have tried to call them with the number on their site and just got fast busy signal so my question is how do i book this excursion, where do i go from here, any help is VERY appreciated!!! This is my first cruise so i am pretty clueless here :)

I am sailing first week in February and i really want to go to Maya Chan for a beach day in Costa Maya as i have heard good reviews however, i have tried to call them with the number on their site and just got fast busy signal so my question is how do i book this excursion, where do i go from here, any help is VERY appreciated!!! This is my first cruise so i am pretty clueless here :)

go to their website: costamayabeachresort dot com

The chaccobban ruins were great, well worth going to. We did a private excursion, and based on what people were saying about the organized tour, I'm glad we did a private company.

Which company did you use to book the ruins? I don't like to use the ship excursions, I prefer to put the money directly into the local economies.

Thanks,

I would also like to know of a good private company for the ruins tours

I just got back and went with Native Choice. We thought they were great. Informtive and a nice SMALL group, only four of us. The groups we saw from the cruise ship were huge! We went on the Dzibanche tour which is a long one, but they other choices too if you have less time. We got back to port in plenty of time. Some of our table mates from dinner went on a different tour with them and loved it as well.

I wrote a review on Trip Advisor if you'd like more detailed information.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived