Vaccines requirements for Belize & Roatan

marcyjane

No vaccinations are required but you should be sure that all of your routine vaccinations are current - measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, poliovirus vaccine, etc.

Hep A & B are also smart to have but are not required.

You can check out this info at http://www.cdc.gov

Been to these ports many times. You are not required to have vaccines. I would take some bug spray for Roatan and Belize if going into jungle. In Roatan the beach no-see-ums will bite unless you spray first. Also if you visit Roatan, then be aware that you won't be able to give blood for at least one year,

All of the above answers are referring to a normal cruise visit. In some situations, if you are staying in country, the rules change.

In all of the cruises below, we did not need any vaccines.

One thing we learned is that if you visit Honduras - you can't donate blood for a year. I doubt that would stop anyone from going but it is a good thing to know if you regularly donate!!

I think it's a good idea to distinguish, as Crew Mom did, between what is "required" (as in -- if you don't have it, you can't enter the country) and what is "smart" (as in -- the CDC, your doctor, and/or a good travel medicine clinic recommends you have this if you are visiting Country X).

For many countries, there are some immunizations that are just plain "smart" to have, even if you could legally enter the country without them. The CDC web site to which Crew Mom has linked is a great resource.

Thanks to those who have flagged the blood donation issue...

Cruising in October 2011. Can anyone tell me if there are any vaccines required for Belize, Costa Maya and Roatan.

Thanks,

Marcy

nope, only if you are taking a land vacation and going to be on one of the islands more than a few days, but if it will make you feel better check with your doctor. You will want to take something with DEET in it with you. The sand fleas in Roatan can be awful. You don't see them, don't know they are there but they make meals off your legs and by nightime or the next morning you are itching like crazy.

Nita

One thing we learned is that if you visit Honduras - you can't donate blood for a year. I doubt that would stop anyone from going but it is a good thing to know if you regularly donate!!

I could be wrong but my understanding that is only the mainland, not Roatan.

Nita

I could be wrong but my understanding that is only the mainland, not Roatan.

Nita

This was news to me as well and since I have been 3 times already this year I did some looking about.

According to this blood center that serves TX you can not give blood for one year after vistiting Roatan.

http://www.giveblood.org/faqs

Then click on,

"I've traveled outside the U.S. Can I donate?"

Caribbean

Bahamas - No deferral, except for travel to Great Exuma Island which would make donor ineligible to donate for one year after return.

Dominican Republic - Entire country at risk for malaria except for the cities of Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Grand Cayman - No deferral.

Haiti - Not eligible for one year after return.

Jamaica - No deferal.

Roatan, Honduras - Not eligible for 12 months after return.

Puerto Rico - No deferral.

Archived