Tips for talking significant other into another cruise!

The subject is self explanatory. While I know it is irresponsible on my part, seeing as we are moving across country together this fall, and for 2 college kids, money is already tight. However, that hasn't stopped me from dreaming and therefore pursuing. My problem is even hinting at another cruise the idea gets put down rather easily by her. We've been on 2 cruises before, both with friends, but we would love to do something with just the two us. We have been together 5 years this summer, and I would like to do something special for her especially before we make such a big change in the fall. Any ideas to broach the subject? I lurk about these boards often, sometimes I will reply, sometimes I just read, but I respect many of the posters out there, and I am always in envy of the ones I read about that are traveling alone with their loved ones.

Did she not enjoy the last 2 cruises? There are extravagant cruise options and there are budget cruise options. It all depends on when and where you go. My husband and I did a cruise for about $1000 one August. Granted it was a weekend cruise, but that included gratuities, ocean view cabin, and on-board fun. We didn't do any excursions, but we didn't want to in those ports. If money is tight, you can still have a lot of fun in 3 days. The Monarch was probably one of our favorite cruises ever! On that very same cruise, we made some great friends and still keep in touch today.

Make a mental note of all her favorite things from the other cruises and note all of the ways it can be great with just the two of you. If she doesn't want to go, either she doesn't enjoy cruising as much as you or she needs permission/encouragement to plan something. It sounds bananas, but where I have difficulty buying something nice for myself, I never complain when he does it for me. I tend to be frugal because I manage the bills, but it is more a product of my childhood. We do just fine, but I have an emotional block about spending money. I need him to tell me to relax sometimes! That's why we're so great after 15 years together!

She loves the cruises as much as I do. We always did our own excursions and are happy doing our own thing. We are both very active, and while we'd both like the spa treatment, we are just as happy in the dodgeball tournament. And it's more like I need permission/ encouragement to plan something lol, she is CFO if you will. I understand her concerns, as they are pertinent our current situation, paying for school, moving, etc. However, I am determined to make it happen somehow. That's why the situation is uniquely tough for me here. I can't talk her into how fun it will be because she knows that already lol.

Go over your budget would be my suggestion. Is there anything you can cut out and put a few dollars aside thus paying for a cruise? Quit smoking? Car pool? Cut back on cable TV? Cancel a cell phone? Cut back on groceries? Stop eating out?

If you can draw up a budget showing where you can cut out costs and stick to it, you may have a chance. One thing is for certain, you both have to commit to it or you are setting yourself up for a whole lot of frustration. DW and I love to cruise but in order to do it we had to cut out a lot of things. We commited to sticking to our budget and saving money every pay. We do not take summer vacations to the NH shore anymore. We're careful how we run the car trying to save gas and we cut back on Christmas and birthday/anniversary presents. Everything we give each other as a gift is cruise oriented.

You mention she is the CFO, well that's my job too so as long as DW and I are on the same page and everything that should be done is being done (bills, retirement savings, tuition for DS, car maintenance and so on) then I can be convinced to cruise and she knows this. She never suggests anything unreasonable but its because we work together.

If you can see where it can be done on your budget then perhaps you have a chance.

Good luck.

wow, your post takes me back to my "poor student" days. four years of college plus four of grad school. Money was very tight. were I giving advice to my former self, I'd have to say " save the money for now. There will be plenty of time for fun and travel after the tuition bills are paid. having a cushion in the bank in case of emergencies (the car dies, medical issues, etc) offer priceless piece of mind and is more important than any vacation."

I lived in the Midwest or MidSouth during my student days, so beaches and cruise ports were far away. If you happen to live very close to a port and can get a super cheap last minute cruise without extra transportation expenses, it might make sense to cruise. Otherwise, have cheap fun close to home. don't twist your DGF's arm to spend money if having savings make her feel secure.

The subject is self explanatory. While I know it is irresponsible on my part, seeing as we are moving across country together this fall, and for 2 college kids, money is already tight. However, that hasn't stopped me from dreaming and therefore pursuing. My problem is even hinting at another cruise the idea gets put down rather easily by her. We've been on 2 cruises before, both with friends, but we would love to do something with just the two us. We have been together 5 years this summer, and I would like to do something special for her especially before we make such a big change in the fall. Any ideas to broach the subject? I lurk about these boards often, sometimes I will reply, sometimes I just read, but I respect many of the posters out there, and I am always in envy of the ones I read about that are traveling alone with their loved ones.

Just an idea...which might or might not work for you. Even during our LEAN years, we've always given gifts to each other for the major occasions - Christmas, birthdays, anniversary, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentines Day, etc., and that adds up. So one year when we were really watching the budget carefully years ago, DH suggested that we do a cruise and consider the cruise be our annual gift to each other for all the above occasions. We discussed it, figured the budget, and found that the cost of the cruise pretty much equalled the total of the annual total of gifts we gave each other. It was a no-brainer in the end - we did the cruise! We went with an economical cabin, cruised during shoulder season when the fares were lower anyway, chose a departure port we could drive to, and did the pre-cruise hotel with Hilton points. In the end, we had a wonderful cruise for what turned out to be about $100 less than what we would have spent on gifts. On each gift giving occasion that year, we just gave each other a card and a small ($10 limit) gift that was something cruise/travel related. Maybe you can come up with something similar that will work for you - Good Luck!

Judy

When DH wanted to take another cruise & I was having no part of it because of our financial situation, he did the only thing he could think of to get me to agree............. He took me out & kept the drinks coming. :eek: When he thought I was "mellow" enough, he pulled out the cruise brochures (no idea where he hid them) & that was that.

When we got home I went straight to the PC, booked the cruise, & never looked back!

Can you agree to pay for your cruise by putting $xx into a special vacation fund? If you don't have a vacation fund its time to start one. Getting away from work and stress is so important to one's health.

Honestly, I never went on vacation while I was in college - never even had the funds to go on Spring break! I did a lot of camping trips and it was awesome - maybe a different, less expensive vacation would be a good choice? Once I got a job... I was mobile lol. You fly free and you're moving across the country... Air Force?

I don't know how you could convince her but if I had to be convinced I'd need to see the numbers like one other poster said. Add up all the gifts throughout the year, etc and show the savings elsewhere. Eat out less... stuff like that will add up - do the math and present the numbers to her.

Good luck.

Archived