Do you arrive early when embarking?

mesci14

We love arriving early, too, and out of Seattle have had no problem with embarkation; never waited more than 30 minutes.

The last time, out of LA, we waited in a looooooooooooooong queue in the sun for about an hour and a half or so. Seems like some people would not leave the ship from the previous week, and they could not board new passengers until the previous ones had vacated!!!! I am always reticent to leave a ship after a cruise, but don't want to do that to the cruisers awaiting embarkation.

For our upcoming cruise I am planning to arrive as early as my family will allow. We are flying in Two days before the cruise leaves so I am sure my anticipation level will be through the roof once the morning of the cruise finally comes. I'll want to be as close to that ship as humanly possible, even if I'm just waiting at the pier.

Having a hotel room overlooking the harbor - Awesome.

038-vi.jpg

Waking up early the next morning and seeing your ship sitting there waiting for you - PRICELESS!

122-vi.jpg

We too, always fly in (at least) the day before, and embark as early as possible.

We've paid for that day, and even if our suite is not ready, we have a grande time eating "brunch", wandering the ship, and finding a great outdoor bar to have a "beverage" or two, before our cabin is ready.

It's great people watching. Those that have never cruised before, those that have once or twice, and those that are old hands.

I'd so much rather sit in a bar aboard ship waiting for my cabin, then stress while waiting in line to board!

We usually get there around noon. The earliest we've gotten there was around 11:00 and it was a bit of a wait in uncomfortable chairs/standing, but it was vacation day one, so who cares!? I'm fine getting there early or later, but we always fly in the day before or even earlier, so are usually ready to cruise instead of sitting in/around the hotel.

We like to get there about 1:00. We enjoy spending time in the port city, and usually do a late breakfast in port. After that we spend a couple of hours enjoying miami, then off to the ship. That way, once we eat lunch we can get into our room to unpack.

Thank you for all of the information. I think based on what we have read here, arriving early makes for us. Making use of all the days we have purchased just makes sense not to mention I've been known to enjoy a good people watching session. ;)

Doesn't really matter to me if we're on early or not...which works out great because our boarding times have varied. Depends on what there is to do in port city or not, if we fly in day of cruise, or if we are with a group of people.

We've never missed our fave thing to do on boarding day - eat at the buffet.

As long as the ship doesn't sail without us, all boarding times are good.

My hubby and I have been have multiple conversations about this. We have friends who cruise all the time who say you should NOT arrive early because "it would be a hurry up and wait A LOT" situation. We are very excited and CAN'T wait for vacation to begin and thought by arriving early we might get on the ship early and begin to enjoy the facilities sooner. What has been your experience... Is it worth it to arrive early? :)

We like to get there about 11am. Lines aren't too horrendous and we can have a leisurely lunch aboard knowing our vacation has begun!

Totally depends on the Port for us.. We drive down, normally, as I'm a serious overpacker and we are in Atlanta and can use the drive down as an excuse to visit DTD, wherever we cruise out of, so far..

We've done Canaveral & Miami.. Canaveral was easy to park at and wasn't that much of a madhouse. And then there was an 'issue' and a 4hr wait (i think, it was 5 yrs ago) in the parking lot with all of our fellow cruisers and we started our cruise off with a nice sunburn (sunscreen was in the BAGS on the sheep) & a nice case of dehydration for me, as they didn't think to bring us out in water in the 95 degree heat for most of our wait... NOT FUN..

So, our last cruise, we booked a swanky hotel in Miami (the one the Kardashians stayed at on their Miami show) & enjoyed it and took our time getting out. Got to the port and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!! We dropped our luggage off certain we would never see it again and then joined the chaos of the other million people attempting to get in 1000 parking spaces... I exaggerate, of course, but OMG, I thought my husband's head was going to explode.. It was our anniversary cruise and um, we weren't really speaking to each other by the time we boarded..

NEVER AGAIN at Miami. We are cruising from there again next year and we will be arriving at the port very early and getting parked & out of our car and into the terminal to wait calmly. We will pick up some breakfast on our way to there and eat it as we wait.. We can wait and not be stressed and crazy by the time we board.. :)

First on and last off has to be the way to go.

We arrive at Barcelona next Sunday at 0930 and will head straight to the ship. I figure we will be there around 1045 which should be just in time to check in amongst the first PAX. We should be on, lunched, tour the ship and in our cabin whilst others are still embarking. They have my money and I will eek out every pennies worth of value.

We arrived fairly early for our first cruise in Jan. from Canaveral - around 11:00. We waited for about 1/2 hour in the terminal then boarded at 11:30 where we patiently waited for the MDR to open at noon. This next cruise should be a whole new experience because we are in a suite.

• 2 years later...

I will be going on my first family cruise in 2 weeks (YAY!). This is the Boston to Bermuda aboard the Dawn. I was originally planning to arrive at the wharf around 10:30am (cannot recall WHY I chose that time). Please let me know if that means I will be waiting around for a long time. I have 3 kids with me (9, 7 and 3) so I am hoping to NOT have to hang out for too long. We are in a suite so I know there is vip boarding but I still don't want to be sitting around waiting for too long with the 3 year old ;). Any advice on the best time to arrive would be much appreciated. My hubby is worried we will be arriving too early if we go there for 10:30. We live on the cape so we have probably a 1.5 hour drive there. Thanks!!!

I will be going on my first family cruise in 2 weeks (YAY!). This is the Boston to Bermuda aboard the Dawn. I was originally planning to arrive at the wharf around 10:30am (cannot recall WHY I chose that time). Please let me know if that means I will be waiting around for a long time. I have 3 kids with me (9, 7 and 3) so I am hoping to NOT have to hang out for too long. We are in a suite so I know there is vip boarding but I still don't want to be sitting around waiting for too long with the 3 year old ;). Any advice on the best time to arrive would be much appreciated. My hubby is worried we will be arriving too early if we go there for 10:30. We live on the cape so we have probably a 1.5 hour drive there. Thanks!!!

Your about right with your time....I'd say maybe aim for 11:00. I know your husband is going to have to drop you the bags and your older children and theyn park the car and walk over with your younger child..... so that will take a little time too.

Less lines if you go early. and since you have perks you will be on pretty fast anyhow. If you wait until 12:30 or 1:00 it will be a lot more lines.

In all honesty if eveyone appeared at the exact time the cruise ship says to appear the lines would go on forever. The cruiselines know that 1/4 the passengers will be super early, half will come at suggested time, and 1/4 will be later than suggested time.

Your about right with your time....I'd say maybe aim for 11:00. I know your husband is going to have to drop you the bags and your older children and theyn park the car and walk over with your younger child..... so that will take a little time too.

Less lines if you go early. and since you have perks you will be on pretty fast anyhow. If you wait until 12:30 or 1:00 it will be a lot more lines.

In all honesty if eveyone appeared at the exact time the cruise ship says to appear the lines would go on forever. The cruiselines know that 1/4 the passengers will be super early, half will come at suggested time, and 1/4 will be later than suggested time.

I like to arrive early, ships, planes, trains, etc. don't wait you. And, I don't like having to rush. That said, I always avoid lines and board quickly because I have a cane for a knee problem (per physician). The cane is useful when I need to do a lot of walking or several flights of stairs. For a couple of hours on one cruise it was helpful when the weather became rough and the waves were kicking up.

For our May cruise on the Gem we arrived at 9:30 for the suite priority area. There were many people already waiting. We did not go on the ship until 11:15 but there were many perks. First they told us to go have our pictures taken. We used the restrooms. We ate lots of snacks. Best of all we met people who we ended up seeing and talking to for the entire crusie. We plan on doing the same cruise next year and will arrive the same time. Enjoy your cruise. Take advantage of all the time on the ship. Better than worrying about traffic and will you make the ship.

My hubby and I have been have multiple conversations about this. We have friends who cruise all the time who say you should NOT arrive early because "it would be a hurry up and wait A LOT" situation. We are very excited and CAN'T wait for vacation to begin and thought by arriving early we might get on the ship early and begin to enjoy the facilities sooner. What has been your experience... Is it worth it to arrive early? :)

I totally agree with the friends. At least that has been my experience. My first cruise, I sailed 30 minutes from my house (Boston). I was at the pier by 11:00am..couldnt wait! We waited in long lines for check in, then sat in chairs for quite a while. When we finally got onboard at 1pm, we had to wait another 45 minutes to go to our room, holding our carryons the whole time.

Every trip after that, I arrive around 1:30 -2 and walk on, straight to my cabin. Sooo much easier. But I totally understand the people who arrive early. I pace my house/hotel before its finally time to leave!:)

Yes, our 1st, 2nd and 3rd cruises will be out of NYC. We have about a 2 hour drive to the pier. Will arrive around 10am again for the Breakaway. One reason is traffic, or possible traffic the other is to get on board as soon as we can

Fly in day before cruise and at the port by 1030am at the latest.

As others have said, day 1 is paid for might as well eek out as much as I can

would rather sit staring at ship so close that I can almost touch it than pacing back and forth at hotel

We always arrive early if only to avoid any traffic or unexpected delays.We've seen it happen more than enough times that arriving early gives us that piece of mind that we are here!Everything else falls in place after that.Although on the other side of it if you should arrive around Two or three o'clock you will miss most of the crowds and checkin lines as well as all the traffic coming and leaving the pier.I would always prefer arriving early

From these post I guess noon is OK. My Husband doen't think our 4 year old Grandson would enjoy hanging around. Plus we have our 92 year old Aunt who does great (still lives alone etc.) but don't think standing in long lines would be the best way for her to start her first cruise in 35 years. We have a family suite for the extra room. Does anybody know if noon is OK for this cabin. I know it doesn't matter at the entering point for security in Boston but after we are in the terminal is it like NYC? We had the DOS on Gem (very special occasion) we were swept away as soon as I told the lady at the entrance what cabin we were in. Will this be close to that? Anybody go out of Boston in a suite?

Thanks

Archived