Do you arrive early when embarking?

mesci14

I will be going on my first family cruise in 2 weeks (YAY!). This is the Boston to Bermuda aboard the Dawn. I was originally planning to arrive at the wharf around 10:30am (cannot recall WHY I chose that time). Please let me know if that means I will be waiting around for a long time. I have 3 kids with me (9, 7 and 3) so I am hoping to NOT have to hang out for too long. We are in a suite so I know there is vip boarding but I still don't want to be sitting around waiting for too long with the 3 year old ;). Any advice on the best time to arrive would be much appreciated. My hubby is worried we will be arriving too early if we go there for 10:30. We live on the cape so we have probably a 1.5 hour drive there. Thanks!!!

Love the Dawn my favorite ship. Enjoy your cruise 10:30 will be fine for a suite. If Virginia is still there she is wonderful.

I will keep Bermuda clean for you. I will be on the Breakaway on the 18th.:D

From these post I guess noon is OK. My Husband doen't think our 4 year old Grandson would enjoy hanging around. Plus we have our 92 year old Aunt who does great (still lives alone etc.) but don't think standing in long lines would be the best way for her to start her first cruise in 35 years. We have a family suite for the extra room. Does anybody know if noon is OK for this cabin. I know it doesn't matter at the entering point for security in Boston but after we are in the terminal is it like NYC? We had the DOS on Gem (very special occasion) we were swept away as soon as I told the lady at the entrance what cabin we were in. Will this be close to that? Anybody go out of Boston in a suite?

Thanks

The reps at the cruise terminal will move your aunt and the rest of your family right along. If not, just notify the first employee you see. NCL is very good about seniors. And, you are in a suite!

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much everyone!!! This has been VERY helpful! We discussed last night and I told him 11. Since we live on Cape Cod I want to make sure we have ample time in case of traffic. You just never know with Boston! One of the reasons I chose the suite was the easy embark/debark. You definitely don't want to be sitting around too long with little ones - NOT FUN! I plan to bring my phone only so he can play on it while we wait :p Then that bad boy is being turned off for the week! I can't wait!

PS - I do have Virginia for my concierge. I've heard such wonderful things about her. I cannot wait to meet her! Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

We almost always get there 1 hour prior to the embarkation time shown on the ticket. They ask people not to show up before then. So if it says noon, we shoot for 11. :D

You get on the ship early and even if you have to wait for a little bit (which is never that long)...it's so worth being among the first on the ship. As others have said...you get to tour and learn the ship...have lunch...etc. before everyone is on board and it becomes a mad house the first day while everyone is trying to settle in...muster drills...etc. etc.

Go early and have fun!

ETA: I see you already responded. :D

Thank you so much everyone!!! This has been VERY helpful! We discussed last night and I told him 11. Since we live on Cape Cod I want to make sure we have ample time in case of traffic. You just never know with Boston! One of the reasons I chose the suite was the easy embark/debark. You definitely don't want to be sitting around too long with little ones - NOT FUN! I plan to bring my phone only so he can play on it while we wait :p Then that bad boy is being turned off for the week! I can't wait!

PS - I do have Virginia for my concierge. I've heard such wonderful things about her. I cannot wait to meet her! Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

If it still leaves on a Friday, the only traffic will be heading for the Cape! Enjoy your cruise! The Dawn was fantastic!

We like to get to the ship between 10 - 10:30, sure, there might be a little bit of a wait, but we are usually onboard by11:30ish, so the wait isn't very long. I am usually pacing the floor as soon as I see the ship arrive, so my DH has learned has learned it just best to get to the ship or I will wear a hole in the hotel carpeting.

We show up about an hour before the time on the ticket and usually get there *just* before they actually start boarding. We practically walk right onto the ship usually. A small minor wait, but I don't think we've ever waited more than 15 mins or so. Definitely nothing worth getting worked up over. My wife even got to be the first passenger on the ship once....:D

We always get there early and luv to start our cruise with a nice lunch on onboard!;) Have a great trip!:D

Me too! Hotel checkout is usually before noon anyway, so I can be on board around noon which is perfect for lunch!

Love the Dawn my favorite ship. Enjoy your cruise 10:30 will be fine for a suite. If Virginia is still there she is wonderful.

I will keep Bermuda clean for you. I will be on the Breakaway on the 18th.:D

We do have Virginia and I hear wonderful things about her. Have fun on your cruise on the 18th!!

If it still leaves on a Friday, the only traffic will be heading for the Cape! Enjoy your cruise! The Dawn was fantastic!

hahaha isn't THAT the truth! The traffic this weekend has been particularly nasty between the president coming down and the Falmouth Road race. And thank you, I am VERY excited for our first family cruise :)

The last few cruises we have stayed a few days prior so we get up showered and have breakfast then ck out of the hotel and off to the pier usually around 11ish, we might have to wait a little but not long and its a great time to meet others !

My hubby and I have been have multiple conversations about this. We have friends who cruise all the time who say you should NOT arrive early because "it would be a hurry up and wait A LOT" situation. We are very excited and CAN'T wait for vacation to begin and thought by arriving early we might get on the ship early and begin to enjoy the facilities sooner. What has been your experience... Is it worth it to arrive early? :)

We always arrive between 10:30 and about 11am and are on the ship, usually by noon. We love the extra few hours we have to get settled, maybe make reservations for a specialty dining room, unpack as soon as the luggage arrives, grab a drink and people watch.

The reps at the cruise terminal will move your aunt and the rest of your family right along. If not, just notify the first employee you see. NCL is very good about seniors. And, you are in a suite!

Have a great cruise!

On our Jewel 2005 cruise out of Miami boarding was done outside in a tent. It was HOT! My mom and other seniors waited in line over 2 hours. It was miserable. One more reason we book suites now.

I'll be cruising on the Dawn on 09/06 and I plan to leave home by 7 am. We have a little less than three hours to drive, but I'm working in some extra time for traffic and such. I want to be at the pier by 11 am. I want vacation to start ASAP and don't want to hit all the crowds.

Add us to the early arrivals, we like to be there by 11:00. Cabins are usually ready by 1:00 or so, by the time you look around and eat lunch there isn't too long of a wait to get to your room. Very rarely have we had much of a wait, perhaps 30-40 minutes at the most.

On one ship we were "assigned" arrival times between 2:30 and 3:30 (not NCL). HATED it. Being rule followers we didn't want to show up at 11 and have to just sit and wait so we showed up shortly after 1:00 and were shown right onboard, probably could have arrived at anytime.

I am just to excited to come late to the port. I would be out there at 6am if I could! Even if I am just sitting in the waiting area to board, I am officially on vacation! I'm still 98 days out and too excited! Not to mention it's my Mom's first cruise ever. So, needless to say, I will be at the port very early for my cruise! :D

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so very much. This is great information. Have a great day.

Archived